Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW E46 Sat-Nav system wanted...

Hi guys,

Back in the UK, my 330ci vert had the full BMW sat-nav/TV unit installed, a feature which i loved. If i was being hyper-critical of my M3, i hate the fact that it's only got the standard "single-din" (is that what it's called?) CD53 Business stereo unit, and having had the luxury of the sat-nav screen for two years i'm beginning to miss it a lot!

I know i could get the part from BMW, but that's going to be ridiculously expensive. Alternatively, i could buy one from ebay in the UK, but there i run the risk that (for a second hand unit) it gets shipped out here and doesn't work. Also, as the sat-nav unit is slightly angled toward the driver, i don't know if the unit would perhaps be different for lhd and rhd cars?

So, i was just wondering if perhaps there is anyone who has the sat-nav but perhaps doesn't make full use of it who might consider swapping with my CD53 business unit + cash? I'm not actually too bothered about swapping the boot mounted DVD unit because, this being Dubai, i'm not sure how useful sat-nav would actually be. I like the screen simply for the way it looks and the cd/radio management stuff.

Alternatively, i might consider a touch-screen double-din unit. If i do, i'm very keen to find something very, very plain, basically something which has an on/off button and a big screen. I'm not a fan of putting non-BMW parts in the car so if i have to then i want something very neutral which doesn't look...well...cheap and tacky. I don't want flashing LED's, chrome surrounds or fancy buttons. Also, i don't want one that "slides" - i want it to just be a fixed screen. I found a nice Alpine (or was it Kenwood) unit in Sharaf for 3000aed. It was very plain, nice functionality etc. My only concern was that, at only 7iniches, it wouldn't actually fill the space on the dash (it would be too small)...does anyone know if that is a "standard" unit space in the E46?

Does anyone have a non-BMW double-din unit installed, or can someone recommend a decent touchscreen unit which will do the job? Anyone maybe interested in a swap?

Cheers!
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

bashar will have something to say in here fow show

Comment

I'm actually using the Garmin 760 unit and I think it's pretty good... the only problem is that I can't seem to find the software update for the Middle East (which includes UAE)... otherwise its a pretty good one. If u're going to the RLC this Wednesday I'll be more than happy to show it to u... let me know :)
      sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ahmad.alkhalil View Post
        I'm actually using the Garmin 760 unit and I think it's pretty good... the only problem is that I can't seem to find the software update for the Middle East (which includes UAE)... otherwise its a pretty good one. If u're going to the RLC this Wednesday I'll be more than happy to show it to u... let me know :)
        RLC is on Friday the 17th of Oct, not on Wednesday :nono:

Comment

oh dang :bricks:

was looking at September by mistake... I guess on Friday 17th October then :)
          sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Working...
          X