New Key Fob (Question / Rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Key Fob (Question / Rant)

Long story short, I purchased a used 530i and pretty happy with it so far.
    The seller gave me ONE key at the time but after insisting, went to the dealership and paid (2k!!) for another one and asked them to give me a call when its ready (very generous of him!)
    After 10days, I got a call that the part was ready.

Went to pick it up and the guy tells me that I need to book an appointment with the Service department to "program" the new key, takes 2 hours and this will cost me approx 500?!?
    The kind service lady says "we'll need it for the day, they will take the 2 keys and put it in the machine for 4-6hours and once the data is copied they will test it" (I'm not kidding those were her exact words!!)

Since I'm traveling for a week, I thought I'd come back for the programming part later.

Curiously a google search lead me to "Simply take the new key fob and hold it against the marked spot on the right side of the steering column and then start the car (obviously a working key fob is needed)"

Voila! all the buttons work perfectly!
    Stepped out, locked, kept my old key fob far away, came back with the new one - easy access works, car starts, idrive is in Arabic so I'm sure its detected a new profile.

Question - they were going to charge me 500 for placing the key next to the steering column?? OR am I missing something here?

They were actually going to program your key.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Thank you for sharing feedback, can you share the name of the dealership to take this complaint forward.

Seems like they are making a cake with 4-6 hr in the machine comment, wonder what they meant by that.
      - E82, 1M - Current
      • Akrapovic Exhaust • BMW Performance Seats • BMW Performance Steering Wheel
      - E30, 316 Touring - Current
      • BBS Rims • Eibach Lowering Springs • Some Engine Modifications
      - Nissan Xterra - Off Road - Current
      E36, 318 Touring Sold
      E36, M3 Evo Sold

Facebook Instagram SnapChat

Click HERE to get your BMW ///M Bracelets from BMW Club UAE

Comment

[MENTION=189263]Hasan[/MENTION], 500 and a day to start the car with the key next to the steering column? that's a total rip off!
        unless theres something else that I've missed, I'd be glad to pay them
        [MENTION=2962]S.BAKI[/MENTION], The Dubai dealer :)

Comment

No need to program any key, biscuit keys come already programmed,the only key that requires programming is the mini key which comes with a bar code and takes 5 minutes with the correct tool.I would for sure ask the service adviser to show you process of programming the key on your car and justify the hours they stated .

Comment

What he said! ^
            - E82, 1M - Current
            E36, 318 Touring Sold
            E36, M3 Evo Sold

Comment

2000 dhs for key!!????? i can buy a fully functional laptop or phone for that price! ridiculous cost for a key
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Unfortunately that's the price of a new original keyfobs ... I wonder why they're so expensive!
                Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                eMail:
                Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Hi [MENTION=189394]alidxb[/MENTION]

Can you please send me your contact details in a private message.
                  - E82, 1M - Current
                  E36, 318 Touring Sold
                  E36, M3 Evo Sold

Comment

Working...
                  X