My 645 wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 645 wont start

I went for quite a drive of about 200 kms and parked the car in the fuel station to get something to drink and the car wont start . The lights, music and everything else works . I didnt get any warning signs in the dash as well as well .

There is a small clicking sound from under the hood when i turn the key but nothing after that . The batter seems to be working fine the windows rise and lower without any problem . Dont know what to do .

Please advise cause i cant leave the car in the station overnight .

By the way when i took the car in the morning it clicked once and then i turned the ignition off and started again and it started well .

Most likely the battery...has enough juice to run the auxiliary systems, but not enough juice to start the car...had similar symptoms with my e46 m3 and the change of battery resolved it.

Call the dial-a-battery guys...
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Hey thanks ... Will do that and let you know ...

Comment

most likely a battery issue. but if i were you i would confirm this before going ahead and buying a battery.

a question for the tech people, do you need to register a new battery in a 6-series with the DME?

Comment

Great advice from Bruno, as usual.

I am a tech noob, but I think the battery would need to be registered.
          sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Registered ... What is that ... Sry i am new to cars ...

Comment

We are all new here my friend.

The new battery needs to be registered with the car's ECU to let it know that a new battery has been installed so that it can manage it and charge it properly. This will prolong the life of your battery. The ECU maintains a record of all battery changes, so it can tell you at what mileage the battery changes took place. If I am not mistaken, it has the date as well.
              Last edited by Ehssan; 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM. Reason: forum error , removing double post
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks . but will a garage outside do it properly ?
                Or can i do it somehow by myself ?
                Also i understand because my fog lights flicker and turn off as soon as i switch it on ... Can this be due to not registering it as well ?

Comment

Any garage with an autologic or a GT1 or the like can register it. You can do it yourself if you have the BMW Diagnostic software.

Your fog lights flicker because the ECU checks if they still working. This is normal and is not related to the battery registration.
                  sigpic

Comment

I remember once changing a battery for my friend's E92 335i which took me three hours -.-

I don't know why they complicate a simple system lol, we didn't register the battery for the E92 and it worked fine. Don't take my word for granted, ask around though.
                    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                    eMail:
                    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

You are right Rifo. The battery will work fine in almost all cases even if you don't register it.

However, it will live longer if you register it.
                      sigpic

Comment

What's the update on this issue

Comment

Battery registration is very critical due to the fact it doesn't only register the date and how many times the battery was replaced since the car came of the production line.
                          The main reason why it has to be registered is to allow the vehicles charging system to charge the new battery with the minimum amount of charge when not required and maximum when it drops below the critical level.So if you don't register your new battery the alternator will think its a old battery and will try to charge it with a full load all the time thus reducing the life of your new battery and reducing the life of your alternator !
                          One other critical point is that it will also affect your auxiliary circuits such as your AC ,
                          Hope this helps ;)

Comment

Working...
                          X