Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E92 Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor ?? or Alpha-N ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E92 Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor ?? or Alpha-N ??

its not a hidden fact that am NOOB with cars electronics and mechanics, so i hope thats not very dumb question i am about to ask !

I recently am having engine misfiring in my M3 E92 and was receiving an error P0305 with Rev 2 iphone application and PLXDevices hooked up to the ODBII Connection with an explanation saying Engine Cylinder #5 misfiring detected.

I took the car to the agency, they said the MAF sensor needs to be replaced with a cost of 2500 dhs, i thought i will give it a try and clean it with CRC MAF cleaner before spending my 2500 dhs, and probably change the spark plugs with new ones.

trying to reach the sensor to clean it, I removed the air filter cover and took out the plastic elbow that was supposed to contain the MAF sensor, all i found was an empty hole with a pipe connected to it going God knows where behind the engine bay.

when i googled online, i found several articles talking about the E92 M3 not having a MAF sensor, instead it uses Alpha-N system (don't ask me what's Alpha-N please), how reliable is that information ? and if its true information, why did the agency tell me the MAF sensor needs to be changed ? if there is really a MAF sensor, where on earth should it be ???? lololol

there was another sensor closer to the engine air collector bay, but looking online, it seems to be the air temperature sensor, and not the thing am looking for !!!!

your help and enlightenment would be HIGHLY appreciated car gurus :D

P.S: if this is posted in the wrong place, mods please correct its placement.
    Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
    Majeed Photography

you have a coil issue on cylinder 5

i didnt read anything except for the "with an explanation saying Engine Cylinder #5 misfiring detected"

Comment

Agency said they tested the coils, with no issue found !!! :-S could that be bullshit ?
      Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
      Majeed Photography

Comment

From light research, there doesn't seem to be a MAF on the S65. And I do second Bruno on having an issue with the coil on cylinder #5. But, it's not just the coil, it could be a clogged or injector gone bad.
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

indeed there is no air flow sensor based on : http://www.bimmerfest.com/pdf/BMW-M3...nformation.pdf

To optimize air resistance, no air-mass sensor is installed in the intake area.
          The air flow is determined using a model- based calculation from the aperture of the throttle valve assemblies and the idle speed actuator, the VANOS adjustment position, the engine speed, the air temperature and the atmospheric pressure.
          For safety reasons, an additional pressure sensor is mounted in the idle speed system (see idle speed control).

why on earth would the agency want to charge me for replacing the bloody sensor that doesn't exist !!!!!! jeez !

they said they tested the spark plugs, coilovers, etc... and found the MAF sensor needs replacement on top of other findings (they wanted to replace the oil pan for 8500 dhs, they found the battery was not the original they wanted to replace for 2700 dhs, and they didn't like my semi-slick tires and they said they should be replaced)

they charged me 1200+ dhs for the service and checking the misfiring when i asked them if they changed the oil, they said no, oil doesn't need changing, when i opened the air intake, air filter wasn't even cleaned at all, i wonder what have they serviced beside washing the car !
          Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
          Majeed Photography

Comment

Agmc or abu dhabi motors?

Abu dhabi motors are probably reading this so go on and email them with this link

Comment

abu dhabi motors
              Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
              Majeed Photography

Comment

Changed coils for cylinder 5 and 3 and set of spark plugs and cleaned the intake air filter

Results: car running like a charm, no more misfiring or anything else whatsoever

Moral of the story : never trust Abu dhabi motors neither go anywhere near them

Anyways, still have to run on it few days to confirm faults are cleared 100%
                Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
                Majeed Photography

Comment

You love me don't you?

Comment

u know i always luff you ya sa7 !
                    Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
                    Majeed Photography

Comment

glad to hear it sorted out, but who is the service advisor u was dealing with? Um Al Nar or Musaffah?

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                      E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

musaffah ! as ayham suggested, I will definitely go back there during this week, and ask them for the MAF sensor part number that they were planning to change ! lololol lets see what they will give me :D
                        Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
                        Majeed Photography

Comment

let me know when u ll go .....i suggest to go to Um Al Nar (Mohammed Ibrahim) next time and he ll tell u what to change and what not to change.

E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

i went to umm el nar, they said they moved the M series workshop to mussaffah !
                            Regards,

Majeed El-Chemor
                            Majeed Photography

Comment

yeah i knew that,,,,u should contacted me ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X