Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CliCking noise ? and low Idle

hey guys !
    was wondering wat is this little box on the right of the engine in E46's ? above the engine oil dip stick ? (attached a pic)
    its making some loud CLICK noise every couple of seconds when i start the car (only if its cold) thats y its hard to show it to any mechanic
    if the car been parked for ... half a day or more , when ever i start it , it Idle's very low and some times it even dies , and the Click sound comes out of this little box for about .... 2-3 mins ! then every thing is fine . at first i was pretty sure its the fuel filter and i was going to change it very soon, but not am not sure ???

excuse my dirty engine bay :lol: the car is due to some service

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hiya.
    The part that you are talking about is a DISA VALVE (air intake adjuster)Common issue is that the metal pin that holds the flaps becomes worn and starts to rattle. It appears that when the unit fails the little metal pin holding the valve in place can fall out ending up in your intake and then into the engine thus damaging your piston and valves etc etc.
    Get the DISA VALVE replaced ASAP.
    Prevention is better than cure!
    Shak

Lets see what the forum experts say on your issue?
    Last edited by Shak; 19-11-2010, 08:25 PM.

Comment

it might not be the disa valve... correct me if im wrong, the ticking from the disa flap should remain. there is a way to check if it's failing or not which is by unplugging it from behind, if the sound goes then as shak said there is play in the butterfly's base in the bottom. if not then it's ticking from somewhere else.

from the way you described it, it doesn't sound like the butterfly in there is rattling

Comment

HMMM ? how about a video ? i leave the car to get cold enough tonight ! and i will record a video of the low Idle and the clicking sound tomorrow inshallah ? because as i said ! it happens only when the car is cold its hard to show it to anyone
        could u explain to me wat do u mean by "the ticking from the disa flap should remain" ?
        is it like a sound of ticking thats alwaz there as long as the engine is running and it ticks faster if i pressed on the acceleration paddle ? i have had that long time ago but now its gone after a friend told me to change the oil
        Last edited by RedX; 20-11-2010, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

When the flap makes a rattling noise it should remain there whether the engine is cold or hot. You might be having another issue. Yes pls take a video of the ticking noise that you're hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
            Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

When the flap makes a rattling noise it should remain there whether the engine is cold or hot. You might be having another issue. Yes pls take a video of the ticking noise that you're hearing.
            As Bruno said remove the plug to the Disa valve to eliminate the ticking sound from the disa valve!

Comment

i recorded a video ! but .... its not that clear , so give me another day i will record the clearest video i can :D
              and btw thx for ur help guys
              Last edited by RedX; 20-11-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

[youtube]b5A1VcsgZqk[/youtube]

so here is the video , as u can see i had to press the gas a few times to keep the car running other wise it would have died, i have another video i could show u the rough Idle and how it dies

u can hear the tick around scnd 32 and 40 in the video

i checked wat shak was talking about , i read some articles and i think i do have the symptom ( rattling tick all the time ) but its very low :(

so ? any ideas ?

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

Disconnecting it is the first step for diagnosis.

Comment

Ok Guy's Mr REDX issue resolved!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Anybody know what the issue was?
                    Will give you guy's the full report tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by shak "X" View Post
                      Ok Guy's Mr REDX issue resolved!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Anybody know what the issue was?
                      Will give you guy's the full report tomorrow?
                      I think it was the timing chain or its tensioner.
                      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
                        I think it was the timing chain or its tensioner.
                        Lets play hot and cold !
                        You was very cold bro.

Comment

Originally posted by shak "X" View Post
                          Lets play hot and cold !
                          You was very cold bro.
                          :lol:

I am out! Youre the PRO Shak!

Still, it shall be inetresting to know what it was and what other people think it might have been.
                          sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Injectors ??
                            Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                            Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                            Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                            Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                            1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                            Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                            eMail:
                            Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

how old is his battery??
                              can it be the secondary air pump?
                              does his check engine light go on?
                              Shak tell us bro!!!!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X