SMG issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG issues

A couple of hours ago I got the warning light on my dashboard for the SMG (yellow color). The car seems to be driving fine but I noticed something. when I was on 3rd gear in sequential mode and began to slow down a little the gear light on the dashboard went to "0" then back to "3"... it did it again a few minutes later on 2nd gear...

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

I'm not an SMG expert, but I reckon it could be either clutch issues or low oil pressure.

Do this first and then tell us what happens. Check your SMG pump, if theres any leaks from it or from its lines. And then top it up with fluid if necessary.

If any leaks are found, then theres your problem.
    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Alright... I'll try that as soon as I get home.

Thanks!
      sigpic

Comment

same here im not an SMG expert but i believe its your pump....go take your car and have it checked
        Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
        Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
        Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
        Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
        1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
        eMail:
        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

it's not the smg pump. is the light still on? or is it gone already?

things that you need to do:
          _close your hood properly.
          _check the age of your battery, as it might be weak
          _check the relay of the pump that can be damaged by the battery's weakness.

if it was your clutch then the gears will slip. and if it was your smg pump going bad on you then the gear will have a slow start up when you start the car in the morning.

yet i'm no expert in smg stuff.

Comment

The light actually went off when I started it up at night. It even stopped doing anything wrong... put the gear ratio on full, SMG mode and sports on and just floored it... it was perfectly fine! I think I might have some electric problems... the night before the stereo stopped working so I left the car for a few hours and when I switched it back on, the stereo was blasting... as if the electricity needed to be discharged, in either case I'm taking it to get checked out today inshallah.

Thanks again guys
            sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm an expert on what I'm going to say; When the M3 does something and it disappears after you start it, it's not really gone and "you've been warned"! It'll come to haunt you.

Back to topic, looks to me like an old battery/alternator! The reason I believe so is cuz your stereo did this at the same time with your SMG, chances are it's the battery. Let's hope it ain't the alternator!!

Comment

When was the last time you changed the battery? most likely the problem. Swap it first, since thats the cheaper and quicker fix. if that doesnt work, we can move onto the next possible cause.
                ________
                Free applebees gift cards
                Last edited by Wazif; 18-04-2011, 07:33 AM.
                Current
                E92 M3 - Mineral White
                F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                E36 318is
                E39 540i ///M sport
                VW CC
                E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

that sounds good to me... I'll keep u posted
                  sigpic

Comment

Too true Wazif, get the battery done first. It's a win-win situation by doing so.

And, even if it is a battery issue or not. When it's related to electronics, it must be done and done fast before it screws up anything else.
                    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Working...
                    X