No announcement yet.

87 635CSI restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, might just drive her down to the east coast tomorrow to stretch her legs and de-stress for me.

Comment

Join us if you can at 1330, we are meeting at Ace hardware parking Festival City and then heading out for a quick 1 hr city drive followed by a desert safari. Will be great to catch up with you and hear all the work done in person :)
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Did the 240km round trip to kalba and back today and went through the twisty mountain roads. She handled beautifully and the power was all there it got a little sketchy on the patches of uneven road on the long straights as I've only got one working shock. Fueled up before the 120km stretch back and used up around 15L of petrol (not quite sure how accurate the gas gauge is though)

Once back started leaking out her coolant so that's going to be next weeks adventure. Sorry wazif, I don't think she'll be coming down, Hahaha i could borrow a car trailer from a friend and tow her there. I think this weekend will be parts hunting in the scrap yards.

Comment

Comment

awesome pics :) glad you had a nice drive....but sorry that she still has some issues to resolve...its been a long and patient journey, hope to see it all getting resolved soon ... :) see you soon!
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Got the radiator out today and flushed out all the crud from the block, going to try and get an all aluminium radiator fabbed up, replace the temp switch and fix the wiring for the fan switch to get it to activate properly.we'll also pull out the battery and clean up the area around and try to tidy up all the wiring in the engine bay as well.

While the battery is out we'll try to get a battery tray and mount fabbed up as of yet the battery is just sitting loose in the engine bay

Comment

Dropped off the radiator at serck services today and they should have a new one ready for me by Wednesday morning I'll probably still be waiting for parts to arrive from the US by then but it's just the fan switch and some other small parts so we'll be able to mount the new radiator and get her running again

Comment

Picked up the new radiator and will be putting it on tomorrow, today we replaced all the power steering lines for peace of mind and since we had some extra space with the radiator out.

Comment

Still have a few days left for the parts to arrive, cleaned off some rust and painted the areas to prevent more rust.

Radiator should be back in next week when the parts arrive and once she's running take a long test drive with the 179 dme and see how it responds, might do the same 240km run and run one dme one way and the other on the way back to see how they're performing.

Comment

if you are interested in a city drive, please join us on Friday 19th Feb at 0730hrs at AGMC :)
                      Current
                      E92 M3 - Mineral White
                      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                      E36 318is
                      E39 540i ///M sport
                      VW CC
                      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I'll definitely come down to one of the drives one day that's for sure but how soon I can't tell.

I sort of got carried away after we put the radiator back in, the heater wouldn't work on the car so thought we could quickly look into it and sort it out before flushing the radiator (also I wanted to have the option of blasting the heater on if ever the engine decides to overheat)

There never is a "quick" look or a "quick" fix, started by peeking in behind the panels and ended up with this.

Comment

Holy !!!!! daaaaang it looks like she is in for another big job! hopefully the turn out will be good.

Its an opportunity to replace some old and possibly failing bits and pieces.
                          Current
                          E92 M3 - Mineral White
                          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                          E36 318is
                          E39 540i ///M sport
                          VW CC
                          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Yeah, big job indeed. I don't know if I should keep her this way till everything is done as it'll be much easier. Now I need to fix the ac wiring, cancel out the aftermarket remote lock, swap the ac compressor to oem and maybe swap out the blower motor. Aside from that I'll still have complete interior to re-do (headliner, carpet, seats and trim) swap the auto to manual replace instrument cluster and install a decent sound system. I'm praying that should be it for the interior work.

- - - - - - - - - -

Parts car got a complete strip down, already removed the steering wheel and instrument cluster before taking the pic

Everything out, what's in better condition than mine will get refurbished and kept aside.

Comment

Now we're cleaning up and refurbishing the ac system, have the ac and heater blower out, taken apart and cleaned. Took the condenser and evaporator from the donor car, might be using the wiring harness as well as the blower switch and temp control unit.

The ac compressor will be getting fixed up and we'll swap that over with the ac lines. Still need to finish up the wiring as well as swap the fuse box top end.

It feels like all the time we're spending is just to reverse and fix the po's hack jobs.

Many more things on the list such as refurbishing the recaro seats, swap headlights and chrome trim from donor car and the list goes on... Haha jumped into all of this because the heater didn't work

Comment

Baby steps, Saturday will clean the whole area by the firewall so we can put the ducts back in on Sunday. Heater blower motor was jammed, after cleaning up it managed to spin but on one side has a bushing stuck and is spinning it along each time it's activated. Ac compressor needs to be opened and cleaned to make sure it's working properly, hoping we can unseize it without a major headache.

Comment

Working...
                                X