No announcement yet.

87 635CSI restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took a couple of weeks but swapped out the belts and did a bit fixing up in some areas.

The adjusting bar and nut on the alternator had a couple teeth stripped off so had to order some new ones, managed to get correct length belts for the alternator(13x1040) and ac(13x920) but the power steering(10x913) needs to be slightly smaller, ideally a (10x900)

Need to check compression on the engine and sort out a leak it's either the rear main seal or the small cover behind the valve cover which I've already replaced.

Glad to have found the metal tab to mount the manual shifter already on the transmission tunnel, so tomorrow we'll run a compression test and if we need to open up the engine will probably build it up to handle boosting.

Comment

Managed to find the leak, when I replaced the rear gasket #10 I had to do some fiddling around so the gasket might have slipped while installing the cover, you can see the drop of oil at the bottom of the cover in the photo in my previous post, we had to clean the area and re-check to be certain it was coming from there. Might replace it this coming week or when i get all the rubbers for the intake replaced.

Comment

I had a bit of time to spare so I passed by and removed the rear cover and gasket, tomorrow we'll see if we're able to make our own gasket

Comment

Took an hour to make up this gasket

Bolted on the afm and intake, started her up and got slight smoking after 40 secs of idling. Cover looks dry from underneath so could be old oil burning. I'll remove the heat shield tomorrow clean up the oil off the exhaust give her a second try. Another possible location could be the head gasket as when I picked her up she was overheating. We'll check compression before starting her up again and if anything's off we'll pull out the engine and replace all the gaskets and rings etc

Comment

Dedication

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
            Tarek Ghannam

Comment

+1000000

she is taking time to get ready, but im sure it will be all worth it in the end :)
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Its a long process, but worth the wait i am sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                sigpic
                Current
                E92 M3 2011
                # White Angel Eyes # Carbon fibre Roof # Silverstone II Metallic with Full extended Red Interior
                # H&R sport springs #19' APEX ACR-8 rims with P-zero tyres # Bimmertech Tv system
                # Full IPE F1 Exhaust system all sections , with GINTANI burble tune

Previous
                E36 M3 Evo Convertible 'me Jane'
                # Manual 5 speed with Auto LSD 3.38 with Individual Magma Interior # BBS LMs 18 Rims with Chrome Lip
                # UUC shortshifter & UUC aluminium Flywheel and E39 M5 clutch Kit # Long Beach Blue Metallic

E60 M5 'me Julie'
                # Eisennmann Race Exhaust # Updated Rear Lights

Comment

Thanks guys. Can't wait to be burning rubber instead of burning oil.

Comment

The oil leak seems to be sorted, now I just need to replace the washers on the power steering lines to stop that from leaking and we also found one of the vent lines from the charcoal canister leaking so we plugged it up and will get some new pipes on Saturday. Once that's done need to fill up the tank and give her a good run as the spark plugs had a lot of carbon deposits.

Good news is she passed the compression test with flying colours all cylinders A-ok.
                    This was on a cold engine:

Comment

And she runs again, leak free.

We re-adjusted the afm again after all the leaks and vacuum leaks are sorted and got engine running great, not running rich anymore the idle isn't surging, runs and accelerates without any hesistation.

Comment

amazing news! great to hear that she is running healthy :D

Congrats and hope we finally get to see her in person :)
                        Current
                        E92 M3 - Mineral White
                        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                        E36 318is
                        E39 540i ///M sport
                        VW CC
                        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Thanks, Replaced the axle boots yesterday, very dirty job but was good fun.

Currently we have the intake manifold off and soaking in petrol over the weekend to clean out all the grime and dirt inside. Hopefully have everything bolted back up this coming week.

Comment

Need to really clean her up, cleaned up the worst grime by brushing petrol on it and wiping off with paper towels. Once she runs again probably better to spray some degreaser and get a steam wash.

Same time we'll replace all the rubber pipes for the intake and some cracked vent lines.

Came in to flip the intake over, I'm hoping all the crap in there is out by tomorrow. It's one pita to remove and putting it back on is probably going to be a nightmare

Comment

Back on the road again. Will take a long test drive on Thursday. We're suspecting the tps might not be working properly so I'll try find a used one to test if this one's good or not.

Comment

Looking good!

On the other hand....heart broken seeing those half a million worth brand new 7 series catching all the dust and sun :(

Sent from mobile device
                                Current
                                E92 M3 - Mineral White
                                F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                                E36 318is
                                E39 540i ///M sport
                                VW CC
                                E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
                                X