e46 M3 SMG paddle shift install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e46 M3 SMG paddle shift install

So finally i ended up buying the CF paddles that Eyad was selling on his friends behalf :)

Had read about the DIY to fix these paddles online and was warned about the switch cover and that you had to be very careful whilst dismantling the paddles. So i proceeded to work on the paddles with the guidance of an expert who did the same DIY for his car (Thanks Ahmad :)) ... thought I'd post a few pics of the DIY process for others...

Part of the job was done at Ahmads place and the rest at my place in the night, so didnt take pics at night with the crappy BB that i have. So the pics im posting are from the DIY site :)

Needed tools:

#15 Torx-head screwdriver.
    8mm open-end or socket wrench for the (-) terminal on the battery.
    Lithium grease.
    6" flat-head screwdriver.
    Flashlight.

Keep in mind that you should grease the pin and contact points on the paddle switch tab before assembly.

The Torx-Head driver:

Remove this bolt first:

Let her loose!

SMG paddle assembly with pivot pin partially removed:

Remove pin while holding the paddle. Gently pull the assembly away from the steering wheel, being careful to keep the spring from falling.

Carefully place the spring into the new lever's socket, lubricate the pin and tab with some grease, and install in the same manner as the OEM levers. It should be a perfect fit, and may require some jiggling to get the pin back in. Be careful to make sure that the spring is seated correctly and that the switch-cover has not become misaligned!

I just need to tighten the pin to make it an installed paddle:

Tighten the pin to 8ft/lbs. (snug hand-tight). Make sure that you can feel the switch working. It should feel like it did with the OEM paddles, only better! Check out your good work!

At this point everything fit well...however, the paddle refused to move :( ...n i realized the worst had happened, the switch cover had moved...oh daaaamn!!!! At this point i left from Ahmads place and headed to ACE Hardware and picked myself a tool kit:

I also picked up a Dental tool from Yellow Hat:

Now back at my place, dismantled the paddles once again and saw the grey plastic covering the hole like this (Oh Noes...:()

Now, in order to fix this problem, you have to remove the air bag, horn, and trim from the steering wheel! So, first you must disconnect the (-) terminal from the battery...

Next, insert a flat-head screwdriver into the side-ports on the steering wheel. Feel around for the spring-levers (they are straight-in), they are pretty strong. Fully depress the spring. Dig deep, and press firmly.

Then, gently pry one side of the airbag/horn from the wheel. Move across to the other side and you will free the airbag/horn from the wheel. You can see the sockets for the horn assembly @ 3 and 6 o'clock (relative) on the wheel.

Now, it's time to remove the 2 bolts holding the trim to the wheel. One on each side of the wheel. Torx size is #20.

There is the offensive misaligned switch-cover!

I used a dental probe (from Yellow Hat) to move the switch=cover back into place. Here it is, perfectly aligned:

The dental pick is pointing to the new paddle's switch tab. See how much surface-area contact there is? A very nicely designed setup!

Re-install the airbag/horn by aligning the tabs and pressing firmly. Make sure that you do not crush the wiring harness for the airbag, and make sure that both sides are firmly seated.

thats it! luckily the other paddle (+) was installed without the switch cover getting misaligned :)

Here is the final shot of what it looks like:

Hope this thread helps whoever wishes to install aftermarket paddles in the future :)

Cheers!

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Congrats Wazif and job well done

P.S: Who's Ahmad ? AK47 ?
    Last edited by SSense; 08-02-2011, 11:00 PM.

Comment

yup AK47 :)
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
        yup AK47 :)
        Wow ! Never thought AK knew all this stuff, sure I underestimated our lawyer..

Comment

great work man :)
          am sure this will be usefull for our club members :D

E36 1996 325 coupe MT + supercharged RIP
          E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech + Bolt On's CURRENT
          E30 1989 325 M50 Mtech coupe MT + RIP
          E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech coupe AT SOLD
          E30 1991 325 low 4door AT SOLD
          E30 1988 320 ac schnitzer 4door AT RIP
          E36 1992 325 M50nv MT DRIFT/RACE CAR CURRENT
          E34 1991 525 ac schnitzer Daily CURRENT

Comment

wooow....great work wazif and its look way better than the stock , this tool box should be with u all the time :D.....DIY FTW!!!

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
            E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Thnx guys...

Eoudeh...its sitting in my trunk ;)
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Nice Work!

sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Hehe... I wouldn't say expert but thanks Waz! Yes ive been known to do little DIY stuff and I must say this stuff is addictive, just have to get over my fear of busting up whatever it is I'm working on... If I ruin it chances r someone can put it back together :) nice one Waz! And congrats
                  sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Thanks guys....sure feels good to do your own thing :)

DIY FTW!
                    Current
                    E92 M3 - Mineral White
                    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                    E36 318is
                    E39 540i ///M sport
                    VW CC
                    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
                    X