Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BigLion's Minor-Ops Thread

Hey guys,

thought I would post some updates on solving some minor issues I've had with the car so far; nothing major but I would like to think ths might save some forum members some time and dough on bit & Pieces repair. Lord knows I been bitching about lots of small stuff so at least you guys will be happy when I've fixed it!!

To recap, the car had two major issues (to me) when I bought it; I immediately found out that the PDC only works occasionally (when reversing from a cold start, BEFORE shifting into a forward gear) then packs up, also the passenger side window lifter is somehow misaligned so when the window drops fully it gets stuck under the trim and has to be forcefully levered up again. Thanks to the seller for letting me know how to do this with a potato peeler just as I was about to drive away. These two problems I'd like to get help with from a garage.

Over the next couple of weeks, several new problems popped up:
    1. 'Check Brake Linings' warning goes on intermittently + brake warning light
    2. Passenger-side mirror 'kerb monitor' function gets stuck sometimes
    3. AirCon not very cold
    4. Front screen washers stopped working
    5. One rear brake light 'strobing' (occasional MID warning)
    6. Patchy Bluetooth connection, eventually failed for good
    Also the car was VERY low on oil (off the dipstick) but without a warning light.

I figure since the car is under service waranty I would get an oil service and do the brake pads at the same time. I went to ADMotors service today and was told to bring the car at opening time (9am) 'sharp' to get an oil change and filter, but for the brake shoes I would need an appointment and this would be 'in two months'! :hmm: The brake warning light is now constantly on.

I dropped into Mussaffah and was quoted 1,500 dhs to do the oil and brakes in one hour. So, do I wait 2 months and do it for free, or pay up...??

Problem 2 seemed to be related to the contact in the gearshift; if you quickly bang it out of reverse, the mirror will not return to the straight position. I just need to give it a second in N gear if the mirror is dipped to go back to the centre position.

While I was in Mussaffah today I looked to service the AC - I went to a small shop next to the traffic police (behind lifeline hospital) call 'Sun Sand Mechanical etc etc' - did a bang-up job gassing up the AC and cleaning all the filters so it blows stronger and colder. The guy who did the work was called Harshid and cos he didn't have a busniess card I said I would big him up as he really looked after me for the 100 dhs.

He also helpled with the last stage of the next job; the front washers packed up. The pump motor was still good but the spindle wasn't turning. I switched pumps with the back washer pump which worked great so I knew the line was not clogged. I took the faulty pump indoors to check it...

...hoping that it was not a completely sealed item; it was pretty stiff to open but the top came off, cleaned, oiled and reassembled, it worked but not as strongly as the other one for the back. I'd already re-filled the washer tank with the last of the additive and if you take the pump out, you lose all the water, so Harshid helped me swap these pumps over today. Job done.

Last job was an easy fix - initially there was one light out but when I pulled the adaptor the bulb looked good. Tried it in the other light assembly and the bulb worked fine. I pulled on the wires in the connector and the light started 'strobing'. Just to be safe I polished up the connectors in the bulb housing and from then on it worked fine.

The Bluetooth was a phone software problem - I figure the BT in the car is pretty passive so downloading the latest phone upgrade (Sony Ericsson Satio) solved the problem.

So I ended up getting some oil from ADNOC - not a solution I'm happy with but I expected to get the oil done at ADM today (and I guess better than no oil at all!) - turns out I was too late... anyone know a BMW centre where I can get the brakes done under warranty before 2 months??

i don't think your warranty covers doing th ebrake and oil... ask them if it does but as far as i know it isn't included. someone correct me if im wrong

Comment

Brake and oil are usually included in service contract, not the warranty though, you better confirm from ADM before waiting for two months and expecting it to be done for free..

If they're going to charge you for it, then get it done now itself, either from ADM or anywhere you like..

Did you get the the right oil in your engine or you still running the Adnoc oil ??

Comment

as Ssense said, replacing brake bads or discs are not covered under warranty and plz dont tell that the engine still holding ADNOC oil! change it immediately, you can contact BMW service at 025588000 and ask mr. mahmoud (spare parts div.) for the oil grade (for sure you need to give him the ride VIN #) and brand, i belive its castrol edge but im not sure which grade.
        keep us updated :)

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
        E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Thanks Chaps,

I will get the oil changed when I know what type is right for the N62... I saw BMW own brand stuff in a couple of the parts shops in Mussaffah, something like 'Genuine BMW High Power Special' 10-W40 etc etc - is that worth using?

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9500/5.0.0.841 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/124)

I would use the 10 W40 or the 10 W50. Nothing else.
            sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

hasan for ur monster its recommend to use 10W60 castrol :)

E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Originally posted by BigLion View Post
                Thanks Chaps,

I will get the oil changed when I know what type is right for the N62... I saw BMW own brand stuff in a couple of the parts shops in Mussaffah, something like 'Genuine BMW High Power Special' 10-W40 etc etc - is that worth using?
                This is the right oil for your car

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
                I would use the 10 W40 or the 10 W50. Nothing else.
                and you my friend never use the above oils you mentioned, use only Castrol TWS 10w60, read the reason below..

this is what it says on it:

Comment

Gonna get some... I am sure it would be covered though - I have the Ts & Cs written in the service warranty booklet but forgot to take a look tonight - thanks many times (again!) SSense

Had a brief go at the window problem tonight - having felt the pressure behind the back edge of the window I'm sure it has fallen off/ back on the lifter mechanism. I will need professional help and a new window liner cos the present one is all buggered up now.

Comment

Apparently it's all covered - even a new clutch >

Comment

Sounds good, now make the most of the service contract you got :)

Comment

This weeks' update - it's been a busy one...

As the President already knows, I tried opening the driver's door a week ago and pulled the end off the door release cable. If you Google around this is a common problem and Ayham and I have come to the conclusion that the problem is WHERE the car was made; everything except the engine and tranny (which is German) is made in the US pretty much. So apologies to American car fans but here is another part 'Made With Pride in the USA' that I will have to replace

On Saturday I went to Mussaffah ADM service to get the oil change done and was told (helpfully and politely) that it is an AGMC car so they don't have the service records - If I wanted the oil change and pads done, could I leave the car with them for a week while they check with BMW in Germany?

Hm...

To the guys' credit he gave me a mobile number for the AGMC booking agent in Dubai to get these done on the spot; I think it will be worth it if I can get it done right away, for free.

Next I noticed one of the cabin lights had blown. It was an Osram 'fuse bulb', 12V 6 Watt. I looked everywhere but you know what, nobody had a 6W bulb, only 5W! Thought I would try it for the princely sum of 1 Dh. until I can get a proper replacement

:lol:

Just to cap the weekend off I was reversing out of a space outside Al Marzouqi upholstery in Medinat Zayed and - POP - ... got a puncture in the front nearside. I got the spare on and had the fix done - there were TWO nails in the tyre.

At least I finally got the washer pumps sealed as well, so now they pump but don't dump (see link); strong spray and no leaks

http://www.e-bigs.net/BMW/02102010079.MP4

so all in all, once I get the door handle fixed I will be 'back to square one', after taking six steps forward and seven steps back!

To recap, in 6 weeks of owning the car,

Parking sensors not working at front - needs fix
                        Passenger window lifter misalignment - needs fix
                        Driver's door release cable (carrier) broken - needs fix
                        Power steering hose leak - no loss of fluid in last week
                        Need oil change - For AGMC under warranty
                        Brake pad change (warning light on) - For AGMC under warranty
                        Washer pump stopped working - fixed
                        Washer pumps leaking - fixed
                        Cabin light out - fixed
                        Bluetooth connection - have fix; the problem sometimes recurs
                        Loose Brake light connection - fixed
                        Punctured tyre - fixed

I would also like to install the OEM radio AUX-In cable (retrofit) to connect an iPod inside the glovebox (using the portable docking station for Line Out - not the most elegant solution...) and get a LCD/DVD player that fixes over the centre console for the little one.

Better get started this weekend!

Comment

wooooow, u was going throgh a bad hard weeks, and happy that u sorted out some issues and good luck with the rest.
                          FYI if u need any OEM parts with good price, u can contact Mr. Shaju from namothaj in musaffah (0507914286)and inform him that u r from BMW club, he ll take care of you :)

Comment

Gotta love BMW Club UAE Forums!!

Comment

we are here to help and support every member :)
                              let us meet this weekend and ll let u know wht exactly u need regarding the retrofit issue for AUX/iPod since im going to do iPod retrofit soon to the M5

Comment

Working...
                              X