Swapping OEM Side Mirror to M3 Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping OEM Side Mirror to M3 Mirror

I had to swap my ride OEM (elephant ear) miror to M3 mirror because it was not a straight plug and play due to M3's come with 12 pin plug connection. So the new M3's mirror motor needs stripping out and replaced with the OEM 6pin plug connection motor which is a pain in the hole as the motor mounting bracket on the M3 mirror is different.

I'll try my best to describe what I've done to share it with all of you and to people who want swap their existing side mirror (Non M3s) motors into M3 one. This DIY is for the 6 pin connection (mirror without seat memory option) not 12 pin but principal shoud be same.
    ---------------------------------------

IMPORTANT NOTE: The connection cables are EXTREMELY delicate! Use very delicate hands when pushing and ESPECIALLY pulling on the cables. If you are pulling on the cable you BETTER be pushing on the other end. These things will snap in a heartbeat and then...well...your gonna have to source another motor.

The pics on this DIY is for the passenger side. the driver side will be almost same.

Tear down your doors and remove the stock mirrors. The easiest way to do this is with the window DOWN. That way you can have one hand holding up the mirror while another loosening up the screws from the interior.
    Ideally you need to remove the door panel and its so easy to do it but becareful for the door panel holding pins while u pupping out. you can check this thread which is self explanatory :)
    http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=27

With the mirror out, find a flat space for dissmanteling and assembly (i used these tools (Large (flat) screwdriver, Small (flat/cross) screwdriver, Sharpie, electrical tape)

push in the pins on the 6pin plug connector and slightly pull on the connector as you push in on the pins

then start to dissmanteling whole mirror by flip the entire thing over and pop off the mirror. Its held in there with four plastic clips. If you have heated mirrors then pull off from the OPPOSITE SIDE to avoide breaking the cable connected to the mirror.

With the metal frame pulled apart from the body, i have to pull out the cable through the "spring" & Slowly push the cable in from one side while pulling it from the other till it is completely out.
    NOTE: It might be necessary to pull off the existing OEM tape and kinda rework the cables to get it straight enough to fit through the spring

Once the cable is free, i removed the OEM motor from the metal frame with the three screws. Once those screws are removed i had only motor and plug connection. then grab the new housing and feed the wire or pull string into the base hole and pull it out the mirror part Tie/Tape up the plug connection cable on the mirror side and slowly push it through from the mirror side to the base side. The hole that the wires go through to the base are a lot smaller than they really should be, so i tried and wiggled them as i push from one side and pull from the other. then i moved the motor into place & fasten it to the housing. i didnt reuse the old screw set, may look identical but they aren't, i used the new one.

then i re-install the whole things with door panels and re-connect the plug and tried the mirror function to be sure b4 i tight everythings and finally it was great :yuhoo:

now remaining the paint jop which soon ll be done (by paint shop) :)

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
    E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

congrats bro, but u did it in a school :eyes2:

Comment

yeah it was only the place which i can spend 2 hours working :) its belong to my father in law :Coffe:

E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

:bow:

Comment

thanks for the process :D

very nice mod
          sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

well done bro.. just question, how much did they cost if you don't mind me asking cuz some ba$tard broke my left mirror's motor :(
            Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
            Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
            Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
            Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
            1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
            Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
            eMail:
            Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.247 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

These are the replica :(

Comment

Nice work! interesting to see that u need to do all this to replace a side mirror :)
                sigpic
                Audi R8 - White / Blk
                Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Originally posted by RiFo View Post
                  well done bro.. just question, how much did they cost if you don't mind me asking cuz some ba$tard broke my left mirror's motor :(
                  both side cost me around ....320$ with shipping :)

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                  Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.247 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

These are the replica :(
                  who said its OEM :), the OEM is costing 6000/- WTF !!!!
                  but im still happy for the new look and after painting, it ll look OEM :)

Comment

thanx guys :)

Comment

Can I buy one side ??

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                      Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                      eMail:
                      Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

can we buy 2 left side mirrors :D

Comment

haha urs is done too ?

Need Assistance?
                          eMail:
                          Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by RiFo View Post
                            Can I buy one side ??
                            Originally posted by akanso View Post
                            can we buy 2 left side mirrors :D
                            i realy dont know...but i think its possible, Rifo, Akanso PM sent, check it :)

Comment

btw these are M5 replica mirrors. but people sell them as M3 mirrors, they've got mixed reviews abroad.

used oem M3 mirrors in beirutcost $180 for a pair.

Comment

Working...
                              X