CarX Installation Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CarX Installation Guide

Initial requirements and desired functions where to be able to play MP3's and videos whilst still keeping nav and radio functions of the existing 16:9 nav unit.

Whilst browsing the web I came across an application called CARX which maintains the look of the existing nav gui and is also controlled via the nav and wheel controls which removes the need for any additional input devices in the cabin or an expensive touchscreen that needs to be mounted in place of the nav.

Hardware Required

PC that has TV out.
    Serial IBUS interface
    BMW connectors
    Power Inverter (600W)
    30A Relay and holder
    Various Audio and Video Leads

The Installation.

The installation was done following a guide I found here. Install Guide.

The guide is for an X5 which isnt an issue as the audio/nav systems are pretty much the same.

To power the PC I decided on using a 12v-240v inverter so that I can use other 240v equipment should the need arise.
    The inverter is connected to the battery via a 30A relay that is switched using an ignition live to save having to manually turn it on and off.

The PC's bios is also set to start up when power is restored removing the need to manually start the PC.

After an hour or 2 under the floor panel inserting connectors into the existing plugs on the NAV module and cutting and soldering the tape input wires on the radio module everything worked as planned.

The only issue I have is that the audio output from the PC is about 75% of what it would be from the tape deck so the volume needs to be set quite high to get a reasonable listening volume.

Some pics of the install and function.

PC in Boot. (I will get a smaller case etc in the future as I just wanted to prove the concept before committing to any further expense.

Cabling at rear of PC which is fed under the floor to the radio and nav modules.

Power inverter in drivers side load area storage compartment.

- CARX Main screen.
    - MP3 Main menu.
    - MP3 Playing Screen.
    - MP3 Title on OBC.
    - MP3 Options. (numbers correspond to numbered buttons on the nav)
    - Video Menu.
    - Video Playing.
    - CARX Radar feature.
    - IBUS Log
    - Web Browser.
    - XP Desktop

Video showing operation.

[YOUTUBE]jZCjqpBM8lM[/YOUTUBE]

All in all I'm quite happy with what I have acheived with little cost.

*NOTE* Text copied from http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...nstall-t19013/

Installation Guide Link - Step by Step.

http://s113117221.onlinehome.us/How%...your%20car.doc
    --------------------------------
    Money cant buy happiness but, then somehow,
    sigpic
    its more comfortable to cry in a BMW than on a bicycle!

PS: I am only lazy on the days that end with "y".

So has any1 in our club done this ??
    From Wat I've Done, Is Who I've Become ..

Comment

I think I have witnessed this my self and it was a long journey but i ll leave it to the club member who did it to declare the details:)
      sigpic
      :///M: More POWER Means More RESPONSIBILTIES .....at the end you ll pay ur freakin traffic fines like everybody so stop smoking whatever u have been smoking:smoke:

Comment

Wirelessly posted (My8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.133 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/114)

I have done it on my 735Li, 01. Removed everything before selling the car. Something I suggest all IBUS car owners to look into, will give you much better idea of how things work.
        --------------------------------
        Money cant buy happiness but, then somehow,
        sigpic
        its more comfortable to cry in a BMW than on a bicycle!

PS: I am only lazy on the days that end with "y".

Comment

Working...
        X