Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

328ic rebuild project

This is only for hardcore BMW fans! if your not, stop reading :P

So, to begin with, I owned this special car for quite a while now after le presidente, and decided to completely restore it as e36s age rather quickly than others. A little history of my car, a euro 1997 328ic 5MT M-tech (or some call it sport) ordered with individual Dakar yellow II and hamman exhaust, sport suspension, and was imported to Dubai from Germany back in 2001. An absolute joy cruiser, well equipped with lots of bmw options.

One day, I dropped my Golf R32 for service and drove yellow for only 4 kms.. it was old and needed alot of attention.. but it didnt take much to decide to completely rebuild it!... The plan is to restore/ upgrade back to stock condition and to eventually go for forced induction (stage I - 350whp turbo charging) in the near future ;) The M52 is safe and easy to work with, 200hp with the 5M/T is great for drives. but more power is more fun.. So, it was the perfect project car :D

I’ll start with the before pictures of the car. When it first arrived back in 2001 (I was able to get the pictures which I never had from Al hai motors who originally imported the car, Thank you meskovic).

Few fun autocross events back when the car was in my brother Ayham’s ownership.

Charity event with Mohammed bin Sullayim

And some other photos from here and there

with an original M3

To be able to cover everything, the project was divided into many sections; suspension, complete engine compartment, steering, drive shaft, brakes, convertible soft top, paint, interior, AC… etc. At that point the car covered 240k kms, accident and rust free, and was suffering from all the common e36 faults (ABS +AST light on, leaks, soft top problems, old paint, old rubbers and bushings, clutch, various switches not working, stuck windows, broken plastics, terrible interior… I could go on and on with the long list, but chose not to, the thread is not long enough 

I started with buying a donor car for major parts, since I could not get my hands on that “perfect car”, I had no choice but to talk to a friend of mine who imports cars and is well known for sourcing the cleanest and rarest BMWs in the region, the same person who actually imported my car. After a very long and painful search, we finally found the car that fits my requirement. The car in question was an immaculate green 1996 328 convertible, automatic transmission, with virgin and all original 78.000kms on the clock. Once the car arrived, it was so clean, that honestly, I had second thoughts about using it as a donor car. The car came with a full comprehensive history from the dealer and it was a one owner! Not long after the arrival of the 328 from Japan, I decided that my yellow e36 was worth all the attention that it needed to get, therefore the new donor car actually became the perfect match for my project. At this point, nothing could stop me from getting the yellow e36 on the road and making it a show car, as intended.

The donor car was a perfect condition all round. I have managed to take all major and minor components needed for the project and eventually the donor car became a perfect shell  (I still wonder if the real owner of this car knows what happened to his baby  and I wonder if my car someday becomes a donor car for some project and in all honesty I don’t know if I can handle it 

Both cars were shipped to DAS Autoworks, and a long list of parts was bought original from BMW. No expense was spared in making this rebuild.

soft top restoration

paint before respray

after respray

old clutch and flywheel

complete M3 brake system

lsd differential

old hamman exhaust

stock exhaust installed

new suspension

18 button obc

the thread is not long enough to post all pictures.. but this gives you an idea ;)

The list of the work done:

-Complete engine cooling system (radiator-hoses-fan clutch, etc)
    -Complete new engine compartment, engine block with 79,000 kms + cluster
    -Complete clutch kit (pressure plate, clutch disk, bearing, etc)
    -Gearbox gaskets and full service
    -Complete stock shifter
    -Drive shaft central bearing and central bushing
    -Complete steering (box, arms, column, sensors, etc)
    -Complete AC system (evaporator, compressor, ducts, flaps, head unit, etc)
    -ABS pump
    -Stock full exhaust
    -All bushings, arms, tie rods, etc.
    -Fuel tank, fuel lines, etc
    -Re-spray and paint restoration
    -All pipes, hoses, pullies, belts.
    -Complete hand brake system (shoes, lever, cables etc)
    -Complete new soft top system (cloth, motors, frame, tension ties, cables, locks, etc)
    -New head, tail, and signal lights
    -Complete Hood open/close mechanism (locks, cable, handle, shocks, etc.)
    -Door latches
    -Complete windows mechanism
    -All plastics and rubbers (doors, soft top, hood, etc.)
    -Speakers, cd changer, and radio head unit.
    -Carpets and interior restoration
    -Hard top handle and panels
    -new Wind shield
    -new pedals and cables etc..
    -and the list goes on and on.

List of mods:
    -Complete M3 evo 3.2 brake system
    -Complete M3 under chassis bushings
    -M3 OEM rims
    -M3 lsd differential
    -M3 vader seats
    -belistein shocks and eibach springs
    -18 button obc

So far, the result is more than I ever anticipated! car is now in stock condition, and is almost ready for the next step ;) Alot of research and sleepless nights were invested to make this come true. thanks to DAS Autoworks for the amazing job!

will keep you all posted soon. thanks for reading :)
    Last edited by mad84; 18-02-2013, 09:12 AM.
    sigpic

Current:
    E36 97' 328ci 5MT Individual/ Dakar Gelb II
    E34 93' M5 3.8/ Petrol-Mica Metallic
    E39 00' 528i M/ Silver

History:
    VW 09' GOLF R32 / Deep Blue - SOLD

awesome build! cant wait to read thru the rest :) great job Mad84 and DAS
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

masha allah nice work ,,,,, my dream ,,, project

Comment

looking good

Comment

only God..and the internet know how much time, research and effort it took to do this project, Great work Mad84, maybe you should consider changing "mad84" with "not so mad anymore e36", great work sir and all hats off to Das Auto of course for making it all happen.."good things come to those who wait"...really wait...like over a year.. hehhehehe :) definetly was worth the wait!! great job sir :)
          sigpic
          2002 1975 white
          E9 3.0 1975 green
          E12 528 1980 white
          E21 315 1982 red first owner
          E21 320 1979 yellow
          E23 745i 1982 red
          E23 733i 1979 white
          E24 635csi 1989 blue
          E34 M5 3.8 1993 red
          E36 M3 Cabrio 1995 dakkar yellow
          E46 M3 Cabrio 2003 silver

All current rides, yet few missing, more to come :bmwfan:

Comment

Very nice rebuild. Keep us updated : )
            Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Working...
            X