No announcement yet.

My E46 ///M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ Thank you sir. No need to be sorry bro, no big deal :)

I actually think that the subframe body points are holding great since the car has coilovers, tracked and has 108K miles on the clock. I have seen worse with way less mileage + the cars never been to a track nor driven hard. It might be the weather or luck, who knows :dunno:

One thing though, I recommend every E46 and E36 owner too to check the subframe points for any cracks and fix immediately. Keep in mind guys that similar cracks to what I have won't show up when the subframe is mounted. Personally I think if no major cracks showing while the subframe is mounted, no need to do the job unless you're doing major work at that area.
    '13 F10 ///M5 6MT Alpine White
    '06 E63 ///M6 SMG Silverstone
    '95 E36 2JZ Swap Gray - Drift
    '92 E36 325i Black
    History:
    '08 E92 ///M3 6MT Silverstone
    '06 E60 ///M5 SMG Alpine White
    '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg
    '98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue

Comment

The cracks are in the usual places. Honestly, I don't know what the difference between our Euro specs and the US spec M3s that exaggerated this problem across the pond. All my years around these cars I've seen probably two with similar cracks, and one only had a massive subframe failure (on stock suspension and sub 100K km). Anyway, I have 3 reinforcement kits as stock at Das, and so far thank God they were never needed. :)

a 4.10 LSD is what these should've come out with in the first place. Any breaking-in instructions? Same 75W140 from BMW or other vendors are recommended?

Comment

I don't think there are any differences in the chases between the 2 specs. There is the foam method which is cheaper and still effective. Plus it's in the BMW instruction book (whatever it's called). But leaving it as it came from the factory might be risky, defenitly not for those who never go hard on their cars.

I'm using BMW diff fluid the one that comes with the booster. I think I read I need to go easy on the diff for around 500 miles or so. I need to confirm that!
        '92 E36 325i Black
        History:
        '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg

Comment

The Foam method is only used to prevent further cracking. That is the reason I did not do it. TMS kit is the best overall solution plus Powerflex RTABs or OEM RTABs with RE/TMS Limiter kit.
          EURO 04 M3
          Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

Great ride! You've got a good sense of style & choice!

Project DVS
            Amuse Ericsson Front-end | SRS Rear-end | Facelift Headlights | Facelift Fenders | Facelift Hood with M-Bulge | Side Lamps & Door-guards delete | Bi-Xenons |
            CSL Trunk | Widebody flares with accentuated door flares | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust Setup | Carbotech Brakes | K&N Filter | H&R Cupkit | JL Subs | Alpine Head

Comment

I don't think you need to drive her slow or up to 500 since your diff. Is not new buddy enjoy her from day one and yes oem oil is fine and 4.10 should came with the car from factory.while I did my diff. I checked my subframe and Mashalla no problem with it so I leave it untouched . Welding on subframe change the structure of the metal and I don't want to go into more details since it is science :).
              Go easy on her brother and enjoy her
              ACS Front Lip
              ACS Boot Spoiler
              ACS Foot Pedals set
              H&R kit
              ORIGINAL SSRs 19 Rims
              Hartge Rear Diffusor dual exhaust
              OEM LED Tail Light Update
              Head Light Trim CF
              Front Grills CF
              Side Grills CF
              BMW Front & Rear Log CF
              Gruppe-M intake
              Evolve tune
              Evo3 short shifter
              4.10 Gear Set
              Phosphyre Halos Angel Eyes

Comment

More than half of the Club population is engineers ;) So go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by P3RPL3XITY View Post
                  Great ride! You've got a good sense of style & choice!
                  Thank you sir. You do too :)

Originally posted by 0-60 View Post
                  The Foam method is only used to prevent further cracking. That is the reason I did not do it. TMS kit is the best overall solution plus Powerflex RTABs or OEM RTABs with RE/TMS Limiter kit.
                  I agree with you, plus I trust TMS. Although I read somewhere that some internal rusting problems might happen since the welds might rust from the inside (where you can't spray them with antirust material. Not sure how true is this though!

Originally posted by red-m3 View Post
                  I don't think you need to drive her slow or up to 500 since your diff. Is not new buddy enjoy her from day one and yes oem oil is fine and 4.10 should came with the car from factory.while I did my diff. I checked my subframe and Mashalla no problem with it so I leave it untouched . Welding on subframe change the structure of the metal and I don't want to go into more details since it is science :).
                  Go easy on her brother and enjoy her
                  Just to let you know I took my diff out myself and a friend around 4000 miles ago to replace the diff bushing and cleaned the whole area because I had a leak from the rear main seal. Inspected that area more than 3 times with the diff out and couldn't find any cracks!!! Apparently the cracks are behind the subframe itself and therefor you won't catch them unless the subframe is out.

With that being said, I wouldn't worry about cracks if I don't track the car or drive like crazy. It's when you have stiff suspention, track the car and drive on bad roads all the time what should make you worry. Definitly not Bahrain or the UAE. Hitting/running over side walks would make me pay attention to the subframe points too!

Thanks, I try to go easy on her but ///MPower isn't helping ;)
                  '92 E36 325i Black
                  History:
                  '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                    More than half of the Club population is engineers ;) So go ahead.
                    Oooh yeah Ayham. Can't wait to get with you guys on the next drifting event. Even if it's just practice :D
                    '92 E36 325i Black
                    History:
                    '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg

Comment

Really I will take subframe out next if I have work on it :)
                      With 4.10 you will have alot of wheel spin buddy :) you will need good tires or if you have manual make sure you slip the clutch while taking off hard for perfect lunching the car
                      ACS Front Lip
                      ACS Boot Spoiler
                      ACS Foot Pedals set
                      H&R kit
                      ORIGINAL SSRs 19 Rims
                      Hartge Rear Diffusor dual exhaust
                      OEM LED Tail Light Update
                      Head Light Trim CF
                      Front Grills CF
                      Side Grills CF
                      BMW Front & Rear Log CF
                      Gruppe-M intake
                      Evolve tune
                      Evo3 short shifter
                      4.10 Gear Set
                      Phosphyre Halos Angel Eyes

Comment

congrates muath

Comment

Originally posted by red-m3 View Post
                          Really I will take subframe out next if I have work on it :)
                          With 4.10 you will have alot of wheel spin buddy :) you will need good tires or if you have manual make sure you slip the clutch while taking off hard for perfect lunching the car
                          TBO with you, I would do the foam method (google e46 m3 subframe foam) and call it a day. This is the dealership's way of fixing. Cheap and does the job especially that you don't do any track days or drive hardly.

You know what, the more your wheels spin the less stress on the subframe. It's the grip that adds stress on the subframe points. I like less grip unless I have ton of HP which I don't! 4.10=subframe friendly :p

Originally posted by Abu 3ali View Post
                          congrates muath
                          Thank you abu ali... But the car has not finished yet.
                          '92 E36 325i Black
                          History:
                          '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg

Comment

A couple of pics from RedBull's event that was held couple months ago:

'92 E36 325i Black
                            History:
                            '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg

Comment

One more...

'92 E36 325i Black
                              History:
                              '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg

Comment

sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X