The Turd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Turd

Here are the first pictures of my very bland and currently rather badly behaving E30.

I have no plans to turn it into a concours classic but I am toying with the idea of taking it on a 4000 mile journey across the middle east and Europe. Most people think I'm mad for even considering it. I probably am slightly bonkers because at the moment it struggles with my 12km commute to work. lol

It is what it is, and cost me less than I have seen some new televisions go for, but for some reason every time I go car shopping I end up rescuing an E30. I've been like that for years.

Pretty much all repairs will be done by me provided I don't have to shell out a fortune on tools. If you have any bits of E30 lying around, be sure to let me know. This one is a 320i auto..

Seems to be running a lot better after I treated it to some vodka and stockings!! I'm sure the running issues relate to the air intake so I removed it all and gave it a little clean. The only alcohol based substance I had to hand was a bottle of absolute so I dipped a cotton bud in a some and used it to clean the AFM sensor and the ICV internals and electrical conectors.

The air filter is probably the worst I have seen so until I can find a new one I put a double layer of stockings over the big plastic hose between it and the AFM for extra filtering.

I also cleaned out the intake hose and put it all back together. For now, touch wood, it starts almost as it should and ticks over without drama. Throttle response is greatly improved below 2000rpm, so it will be good to see what it's next outing brings.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Gheko View Post
      The air filter is probably the worst I have seen so until I can find a new one I put a double layer of stockings over the big plastic hose between it and the AFM for extra filtering.
      By far the most interesting DIY Ive ever read :rofl: Creativity at its best !

Originally posted by E30Gheko View Post
      I have no plans to turn it into a concours classic but I am toying with the idea of taking it on a 4000 mile journey across the middle east and Europe. Most people think I'm mad for even considering it. I probably am slightly bonkers because at the moment it struggles with my 12km commute to work. lol
      Lol keep up the spirit

Comment

It looks like a very clean example, how did you get it so cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by Ozimandius View Post
          It looks like a very clean example, how did you get it so cheap?
          I think that's just a bit of camera trickery. Don't get me wrong, I've seen worse but trust me, it's unlikely to return a profit in it's current guise.

Comment

Compared to most of the E30s we've seen, this really looks pretty clean, got a good deal there..

Comment

clean interior and i like the 14" rims on it :)

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
              E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

I have an idea, I believe some members here were selling E30 or E36 engines, completely with the Getrag tranny, do a swap, and I also believe it'll pass Tasjeel!

Comment

she looks nice tbh

should be very complicated sorting the parts, i reckon you will end up ordering most of your parts from abroad but you can still manage to source a couple locally.

i saw your mail earlier. i'll give you a buzz this evening.

Comment

Very Nice!

Congratulations!

sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

The most honest to God BMW ever made!

She looks like she could use some lovin' though. Kudos on DIYing everything!

You could probably find the air filter element at Central in SHJ, but it'll probably take a week for them to source it for you.

What's your plan for the car ? Other than the 4,000mi trip which she would most probably do with a smile ? These cars are bullet proof!
                      sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                      Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                      LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                      P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                      Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

My plan i just to get it running right at the moment. I thought i'd treat myself to a nice car (BMW obviously) once I've been here for a while longer. My plans for this car really depend on how long I'm going to spend in Dubai, and whether I make the trip.

The trip would be one way to England and I'd pass it on whn I get there. If I stay in Dubai and end up with a nice car, I'd probably drop an M52 into this and track it perhaps.

I certainly don't want to spend to much on it at the moment that's for sure. The immediate project is just to get it functoning correctly.

Update on last night's fix:
                        Journey to work, no problem. It started fine, ticked over fine, got me to work. Great I thought, seems sorted.

Err no. It wouldn't tick over for the journey home until it was warm. I got it to tick over, headed off and then it has this real stumbling block at 1500rpm. Past that it's fine, but I had to really feather the throttle up and down to get it beyond 1500rpm.

It's got me scratching my head a bit now. I'm going to let it cool down and then inspect the Dizzy cap.

Comment

some detailing and the princess will shine :)
                          sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
                          E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
                          E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
                          E23 735i - Sold

Comment

It might not be the dizzy cap. Check the AFM, you might need to pop off the cover and clean up the wiper arm and contact slide. But, do check the cap, wires and plugs first since they're much easier. Careful with AFM though, they're beyond rare nowadays. Keep us posted!
                            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

A classic. I love these 'old' BMWs. Good luck with your trip (if you do end up doing it!)

Comment

Working...
                              X