ULTIMATE M3: THE ALMS GT2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ULTIMATE M3: THE ALMS GT2

Im sure that you are all somewhat familiar with this beautiful piece of engineering -the Rahal Letterman Racing BMW M3 GT2.... And lucky for you, BMW agreed to let me get under the skin of the GT2 during my recent trip to Rahal Letterman Racing a few weeks ago.

I’ve been following the development of this car with some interest since the racing program was first announced and made sure that John Brooks took tons of snaps of the car at Sebring earlier this year. The debut of the new racing machine went quite well all things considered. Although both cars DNFed, Muller and Milner pushed it up to 2nd place before the M3 had to stop with a drive train issue

I got to see the car only a few weeks later at the Long Beach ALMS race. By this time wed already arranged permission from BMW to shoot the Drivers Experience Films with Tommy Milner. In only its third race, Milner and Muller managed to nab the cars first podium spot with a third place result.... A first place class was only a matter of time and this happened on August 16th with the cars sweeping the first two positions in GT2. The future certainly looks bright for the M3 GT2s

So lets now take an exclusive, detailed look under the skin of this beautiful race car.

Lets start our tour inside the cockpit. The first thing you'll notice in this shot is how far back and low the driver sits. A mockup of the factory dashboard is still in place, but the instrument panel has been extended backwards quite far.

This shot from Sebring shows the <i>&quot;back and low&quot;</i> seating position.

The seat on this car is much more that a regular racing bucket. It's actually a rigid, partial survival cell of sorts and allows for the driver of the car to be lifted out of the machine in case of injury.

In fact, the M3 complies to all the latest safety standards... the carbon fiber roof is actually removable.... see the circular marking in the front center of the roof?

This is a perforation that can be punctured to allow for the roof to be peeled back for driver extraction. You can just make this out in front of the Dunlop Logo

The center bar along the top of the windshield frame can also be unbolted, again to allow for easy access to the driver.

Ok lets look more at the controls.

I thought it would be interesting to take a few photos right from the driver's POV, so sat in the car to get this shot.... most of the switches on the wheel are pretty self explanatory.

To the right of the sequential shifter, is another bank of switches, as well as the radio.... to the left of the shifter, is the air conditioning duct. ACO rules state that the cockpit temperature on closed cockpit cars must not exceed 32 C so some engineering effort has gone into the development of this system.

Controlling cockpit temperature is also the main reason that the cockpit has been partitioned in half. It's a smaller volume of space that needs to be cooled, so its going to tax the air conditioning system less. Clever!

My patent leather loafers look a little out of pace on the race pedals!

So best to show a picture with the shoes out of shot... that brake pedal looks rather well worn...

There are quite a few cables running every which way in the passenger area. One of the cars mufflers is mounted under a tunnel marked by the silver insulation. Theyve needed to be channeled into these tunnels to allow for the M3's extremely low ride height. Theres no room for any mufflers under the car.

In an effort to control heat, the exhaust pipes are place inside a insulation channel... you can also see the intakes for the rear transaxle oil coolers.

The air runs through these large ducts into the rear of the car.... you can see that much of the old production shell unibody has been removed... Minitubs have also been installed to clear the massive race slicks. Talk about precise and clean packaging!
    Sandwiched between the unibody and the fully bellypan at the back of the car is a custom designed Xtrac 6 speed sequential gear box. Its rear placement ensures optimized front/rear weight distribution

The hot air then exits from the rear oil coolers out of the back of the car.

Theres no rear diffuser under the car, but the full bellypan does slope upwards under the rear bumper to create some under-body downforce.

Interestingly, the front third or so of the bellypan is made of steel... This acts as super-low ballast for the car and keeps the center of gravity as low as physically possible. Also very cunning....

The car has full race, double A-Arm suspension front and rear.. theres no sign of any Macpherson struts to be found here! Check out how the wheel wells have been sealed up very tight... This is to control the air inside the wheel wells and the engine bay.

Up front, you can see the two 29.4 mm restrictors which restrict the 4L V8 engine to <i>&quot;less than 500 hp&quot;</i>.... Thats all the team would tell me!

At Sebring the car was running yellow lens covers.... again as per ACO rules, prototypes run white headlights, production cars run yellow lights... this helps to differentiate them during night racing.

By the Long Beach race the lights themselves were yellow.

Although based on production units, the lights are up rated for the extra illumination needed for night racing.

Rims are by RAYS with special bespoke rubber being supplied by Dunlop. Also note how the air is expertly extracted from the wheel wells

Some engineering effort has be put to the passage of air through the front radiator.

Heres a closer look... the ducts running over the engine feed the air conditioner

A detail of the same view which shows the air restrictor veins running to the engines air box.... its very tight packaging!

You can also get a feeling for just how far back the engine is mounted... There is a lot of room between the radiator and the front of the engine.... its also very, very low in the chassis

One characteristic about the BMW M3 GT2, that a few people have mentioned to me, is that it's a much larger car than the Porsches, Ferraris and Corvette it completes against. This means that it needs to punch a larger hole through the air than its rivals and therefore suffers from a lack of top speed. This is something that the ACO and ALMS will have to balance out over time with the use of weight ballast and restrictor changes to even out the playing field between the various cars.

If you guys live any where near Road Atlanta or Laguna Seca please do come out to have a look at these great racing cars. You wont be disappointed!

Catch this this glorious moment of GT racing while you can!
    :drool:
    Nissan Cefiro A31

Engineering at its best!
    Meskovic
    this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

:drool:
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
      Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
      Schrick cams
      Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
      Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
      KW Coilovers V3
      WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

Father of all M3s :drool:

Comment

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
          Engineering at its best!

Totally Agreed !! :iagree:
          sigpic
          07' HFP Accord | Current
          HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Damn!!! Amazing!!!
            Photographer
            My Website

Comment

pure sex... wow.
              :evil: Z powered with APS ST :evil:

sigpic

Comment

too much money spent if you ask... damn!

Comment

ya, but c wat u get out :drool:

Comment

Isnt this same M3 featured on our forum in a different thread? i think a video promo for a game? and the young american driver
                    Current
                    E92 M3 - Mineral White
                    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                    E36 318is
                    E39 540i ///M sport
                    VW CC
                    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                      Isnt this same M3 featured on our forum in a different thread? i think a video promo for a game? and the young american driver
                      Yes Tommy Milner promoting for the game ''Need for speed shift'', here's the thread:

http://www.bmwclubuae.com/forum/show...ighlight=speed

Comment

+1 exactly
                        Current
                        E92 M3 - Mineral White
                        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                        E36 318is
                        E39 540i ///M sport
                        VW CC
                        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment