Top Gear: BMW M5 vs. Jaguar XFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Gear: BMW M5 vs. Jaguar XFR

The BMW M5 needs no introduction anymore and everyone acknowledges that the M5 has been, as Mr. Clarkson says also, “the ultimate sport saloon”….well, sedan as we call it here in the U.S.

So, Top Gear decided to take the Ultimate Driving Machine, that being the M5 for those that were in doubt, against the the newly and somewhat highly praised Jaguar XFR. But before we jump into the 7 minutes or so video, let’s review the two cars from a technology standpoint.

BMW M5:
    powered by the amazing and soon phased out, 5.0 literV10 S85 engine which produces 500 horsepower and redlines at 8250 rpm. Torque? 384 lb-ft(520Nm). Top speed is limited at 155 mph(250km/h). Official numbers show 0-60 mph(0-100km/h) figures at around 4.5 seconds.

Jaguar XFR: powered by a direct-injected and supercharged 5.0 liter V8 engine outputting 510 horsepower and 461 lb-ft of torque. Jaguar let the XFR loose with a top speed of 200 mph(320 km/h) - car tested by Top Gear stops at 155 mph. Official numbers say that the XFR runs from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds.

As usual, with his interesting humor, admired by many and disliked by others, Mr. Clarkson goes into a deeper comparison. Will the Jaguar XFR steal the “crown” from the M5? Well, let’s see the video.

P.S. Listen to the engines sound and you will see why we believe that V10 BMW engine is simply a state-of-art.
    [youtube]8JinEldh7kQ[/youtube]

Source: bmwblog

I'm not going to watch this cause I'm watching the whole episode tonight... I assume its going to be great!

I know Clarkson LOVES the M5 (when u push the M button) but I'm pretty sure he will think the world of the XFR, afterall he's always been supporting of the British Jaguar :D
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

The Jag lacks on the looks/aggressivness department and that's fatal!!

Comment

The Welsh can't beat the Germans, Period.
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

I agree with Ayham....lacks the looks!!!!
          sigpic
          Audi R8 - White / Blk
          Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

It's a Jaguar, it's a classy car, and I believe that's a mistake well avoided unlike the overdone ISF which was obviously styled like an attention whore.

Comment

I Kinda like how the rear of the Jag looks..

Thanks for posting, I really enjoyed the drifting part.
              '13 F10 ///M5 6MT Alpine White
              '06 E63 ///M6 SMG Silverstone
              '95 E36 2JZ Swap Gray - Drift
              '92 E36 325i Black
              History:
              '08 E92 ///M3 6MT Silverstone
              '06 E60 ///M5 SMG Alpine White
              '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg
              '98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue

Comment

it is a Jag

it is an M5

chapter closed

Comment

^ :bow:
                  sigpic
                  07' HFP Accord | Current
                  HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

''Im not for a moment going to suggest that this is better than an M5, but its as good as...
                    Praise doesnt get higher than that'',
                    Jeremy Clarkson

Looking at Jeremy it looks like he desparately wants to praise Jag more than the M5, but ofcourse in no terms it is better,
                    thats why he could only say its as good as the M5, and not better ;)

Comment

Finally, after 4 years of the release of the E60 M5, the competition was able to make a car that can come close to the M5
                      ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
                        Finally, after 4 years of the release of the E60 M5, the competition was able to make a car that can come close to the M5
                        +1
                        sigpic

2004 X5, HAMMAN - SOLD
                        2006 Z4M - SOLD
                        1967 SHELBY GT500CR - SOLD
                        2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello - SOLD
                        2001 Ferrari 456 MGTA - CURRENT
                        2006 Hummer H3 -CURRENT
                        2003 Citroen Saxo 1.1 - Special Mongol Rally 2012 - SOLD TO CHARITY
                        1997 E36 M3 - PROJECT CAR
                        2008 Ferrari 312 Scaglietti - CURRENT

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
                          Well said, but what about the RS6, and the E55/E63 AMG? I still believe the M5 is the best of all, but they're competitive figures. And why is it just BMW that comes up a properly designed car with a proper gearbox, and the others stick to autos?

Comment

The Merc clientelle will never go for manual boxes. Audi's, however, would and it's a shame the beast RS6 only comes in auto (do they come with DSG now?). That's why BMW is successful with the M5, "give 'em what they ask for"!

Comment

Originally posted by Haitham View Post
                              Well said, but what about the RS6, and the E55/E63 AMG? I still believe the M5 is the best of all, but they're competitive figures. And why is it just BMW that comes up a properly designed car with a proper gearbox, and the others stick to autos?
                              The new RS6 came out this year to compete with the current M5, E55 was competing with E39 M5 and came out after the M5, same goes with the E63. Basically BMW comes out with a car, and the rest of the manufactures try to compete/beat it a few years down the line.

I'm not saying the other cars aren't good, just that they are always behind
                              ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Working...
                              X