Just because it has AWD, that doesn't make it an off-roader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because it has AWD, that doesn't make it an off-roader

Just because a vehicle has a high riding stance and all-wheel drive, that doesn't qualify it as an off-roader. That's why when BMW introduced the X5 it was labeled as a "Sports Activity Vehicle" not an SUV. BMW designed the X5 knowing full well that the majority of largely suburban SUV buyers never even think about going off-road. Unfortunately, it appears that one driver, who evidently rented this X5 in Istanbul, never got that message. The purely on-road high performance tires didn't clue him in that driving to the beach should not include driving past the beach and directly into the water.

Prompted by his female companion, the driver went a bit too far. The results were easily predicable and the video after the jump shows clearly why the X5 (and most of its ilk) belong on-road only. Thanks to Ozcan for the tip!
    [youtube]ve550P0uj7A[/youtube]

Source: autoblog
    Last edited by SSense; 02-06-2009, 01:44 AM.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! Say bye bye to this BMW
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

get land cruiser or veeeeeeetech and pull it out :drool:

Comment

thats not nice at alll...........i am so sorry for the poor car.....but ali u should change the title to
        "Just because it has AWD, that doesn't make it an amphibious car"
        I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

put those rims/tires on any SUV (besines an H1 maybe) and it won't make it's way up :read:

BMW history:
          07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

ouch!! that hurts :(

cant believe the guy is so ignorant!
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Hope he doesn't rent a boat next time and go offroading ....
              sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
              Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
              LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
              P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
              Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

damn they are turkish :)

Comment

just change the tyres on the x5 and it will be one of the best offroaders i always go offroading with mine and she is amaizing i know its not meant to be for that but it does it realy well but never stop or it will get stuck because i have the 21's
                  Do one thing everyday that scares you

Comment

its completely upto you bro - but i wouldnt do that with mine - i'd rather take a patrol and go full out with it ! :)
                    2008 325i coupe
                    Stock

Comment

Originally posted by xxo0oxx View Post
                      just change the tyres on the x5 and it will be one of the best offroaders i always go offroading with mine and she is amaizing i know its not meant to be for that but it does it realy well but never stop or it will get stuck because i have the 21's
                      twayir 900? dude post pics pleeeeeease!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                        twayir 900? dude post pics pleeeeeease!
                        Dang !!! You sure they'll fit !?
                        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

dumb@ss
                          Satisfaction can also be spelled: B.M.W

E90 320i - soon to retire
                          19" Black CSL replicas staggured F:8.5", R:9.5" // continental sport contact2 F:235/35/19, R:255/35/19 // Blacklines taillights// Black OEM rear spoiler // Matt Black grill // Y-connector // 30% V-kool tint // H&R sport springs // H&R TRAK+ Wheels Spacers // Black roof+mirrors // De-badged

F30 335i - Current
                          M-performance kit // M-performance steering wheel with race displays.

Comment

Working...
                          X