RIP M5. Severe Autobahn Crash Destroys New M5 F10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP M5. Severe Autobahn Crash Destroys New M5 F10

This 2012 M5 was traveling at a top speed (approximately 186mph/300kmh) when the driver lost control of the car as he braked and swerved to avoid a car. As the driver of the M5 swerved to avoid a car which joined the highway aggressively (without noticing the oncoming BMW), the M5 struck the divider, bounced off and shot across the highway, where it flipped several times on the grass at the side of the A81.

The 60 year old driver, 20 year old passenger, and a dog were all seriously injured, but are alive. Judging by the severity of the damage to the car, it's a testament to the M5's safety technology that no one was instantly killed.

The car which cut off the M5 did not stop and fled the scene of the accident. The M6 and M3 on the scene belong to the M5 owner's sons, who were traveling with the M5 at the time of the accident. One of the sons, seeing smoke coming from the M5's engine after the crash, was able to prevent any more danger by using an extinguisher on the engine.

It's easy to forget sometimes just how much power our BMWs have and while they are some of the safest cars in the world, we are all still human, capable of suffering injuries and making driving mistakes (or simply suffering bad luck).

So please be safe out there!

Source: http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=679088
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Incredible. Glad everyone is alive

Comment

///MFug'd!!

Regardless of why it happened. Not many cars can't withstand crashes that severe and stay in one whole piece to say the least. This thing still looks like a car anyway you look at it. All removable body parts are still intact, nothing flew off. We don't have footage of the crash to see how it exactly happened but still that's some proper engineering and building right there!

Being able to tell your story after a crash like that is something pretty damn rare!
      sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
      Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
      LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
      P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
      Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Holly! Glad they're all alive, Well Done On the Safety work i can tell they worked really hard on it. RIP m5 so sad.
        sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
        E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
        E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
        E23 735i - Sold

Comment

Glad the driver involved made it out safe.
          kudos to BMW for a brilliantly engineered machine.
          sad for the M5 though
          either way,
          Toys though expensive in most cases are replaceable.
          life aint.
          stay safe out there guys.

Comment

Working...
          X