2011 NAIAS: ZF launches 9-speed transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 NAIAS: ZF launches 9-speed transmission

At the 2011 Detroit Auto Show, ZF announced their latest and greatest transmission, a 9-speed automatic gearbox. The 9-speed concept was introduced for the first time at the 2009 Frankfurt Auto Show and it is scheduled to go into production this year at the Greenville factory in South Carolina. Our own Hugo Becker will have a detailed report on this in the upcoming days, covering the technology and engineering behind this new gearbox.

For now, here is the press release from ZF:

Under high pressure – ZF is working on the development of new fuel-efficient transmission generations. The latest innovation: an entirely new automatic passenger car transmission, developed with 9 gears for vehicles with a transverse engine.

Already at the IAA 2009 (International Motor Show) in Frankfurt, Germany, ZF presented a concept study for front-transverse transmissions which has entered serial development now. Approximately 80 percent of all passenger cars worldwide feature a transverse engine installation. ZF is developing a state-of-the-art automatic transmission for this type of engine installation, which will significantly improve fuel economy. All around the world, new customer segments will be conquered with this transmission. Transmission production has been scheduled for Greenville, SC, USA.

Fuel economy and increased performance

With its 9-speed automatic transmission for vehicles with transverse installed engines, ZF will once again establish a benchmark in terms of fuel consumption. Compared to today’s standard 6-speed automatic transmissions for front-transverse design, ZF’s new 9-speed automatic transmission clearly improves both driving performance and fuel economy. The modern shock absorber systems in the torque converter, which make a rapid lock-up of the converter clutch possible, also mean better fuel economy and lower CO₂emissions.

Just like the 8-speed automatic transmission for longitudinal installation, the new 9-speed front-transverse transmission ensures that the extremely short response and shifting times are clearly below the threshold of perception. This means that double shifts and direct multiple gearshifts are also made possible. Thus, the new transmission system is equipped with the same ‘sporty genes’ as already its 8-speed automatic transmission predecessors; in conjunction with the excellent shift comfort characteristics, they certainly entail ultimate customer satisfaction.
    Source: bmwblog

-_________-

7 is more than enough for me. You want to go more, why not just use CVT??
    Satisfaction can also be spelled: B.M.W

E90 320i - soon to retire
    19" Black CSL replicas staggured F:8.5", R:9.5" // continental sport contact2 F:235/35/19, R:255/35/19 // Blacklines taillights// Black OEM rear spoiler // Matt Black grill // Y-connector // 30% V-kool tint // H&R sport springs // H&R TRAK+ Wheels Spacers // Black roof+mirrors // De-badged

F30 335i - Current
    M-performance kit // M-performance steering wheel with race displays.

Comment

holy crap! a bit much!?
      sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

I think it shall not work. I hope I am wrong.

The 8 Speed transmission itself, is confused in city driving on which gear to select.

Has anyone driven the Lexus IS F. Ive hers it surrers from the same problem.

9 speed gearbox shall always be wondering which is the right one to engage.
        sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

7 Speed Gearbox is more than enough for Fuel economy I think...

Need more fuel economy ? Go with the CVT ( Continuous Variable Transmission ), and it's smoother !

But that's great from ZF of course !
          sigpic
          07' HFP Accord | Current
          HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

any way i hate automatic

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 3ali View Post
              any way i hate automatic
              :iagree: :D

E36 1996 325 coupe MT + supercharged RIP
              E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech + Bolt On's CURRENT
              E30 1989 325 M50 Mtech coupe MT + RIP
              E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech coupe AT SOLD
              E30 1991 325 low 4door AT SOLD
              E30 1988 320 ac schnitzer 4door AT RIP
              E36 1992 325 M50nv MT DRIFT/RACE CAR CURRENT
              E34 1991 525 ac schnitzer Daily CURRENT

Comment

3 too many.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                  3 too many.
                  + 1
                  sigpic

Comment

so at 100 kph rpm is at 500 ?? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Mustafa K. View Post
                      so at 100 kph rpm is at 500 ?? :P
                      I don't think so.

But I do believe that it would be at around 1000 RPM at 120.

I don't think it would shift into the 9th gear below 120.
                      sigpic

Comment

Interesting!
                        '13 F10 ///M5 6MT Alpine White
                        '06 E63 ///M6 SMG Silverstone
                        '95 E36 2JZ Swap Gray - Drift
                        '92 E36 325i Black
                        History:
                        '08 E92 ///M3 6MT Silverstone
                        '06 E60 ///M5 SMG Alpine White
                        '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg
                        '98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue

Comment

i think it will divert ur attention from driving cos ur concentrating on the gears when driving in manual mode

Comment

Working...
                          X