2011 BMW M3 gets Start-Stop technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2011 BMW M3 gets Start-Stop technology

Buried deep into the extensive bulletin sent to dealerships, BMW introduced an important change to the 2011 BMW M3 models: automatic/Start Stop.

Seen in other BMW vehicles, the Start-Stop technology now comes standard in the M3. Start-Stop is a feature developed from BMW’s EfficientDynamics strategy that will shut down the engine under certain conditions when the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

The benefit of this technology is reduced fuel consumption and the function can be switched on/off via a button located next to the Start/Stop button.

The way it works is that the system automatically switches off the engine when the car comes to a standstill. As soon as the driver puts in the clutch or depresses the gas pedal, the engine fires up automatically.
    Source: bmwblog

I am not sure if it will actually save fuel, unless the vehicle has to stop for like more than 5 minutes.

These big engines actually consume a lot of fuel when firing up.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
      I am not sure if it will actually save fuel, unless the vehicle has to stop for like more than 5 minutes.

These big engines actually consume a lot of fuel when firing up.
      I agree. i think BMW just want to shut up the environmentalists and enhance the brand image as a socially responsible brand.

on another note, this would definitely fail in Lebanon....car will shut off then on then off then on :D

Comment

As I know firing up the engine consumes more than keeping it running ... :dunno:
        sigpic
        07' HFP Accord | Current
        HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Originally posted by M_Powerholic View Post
          As I know firing up the engine consumes more than keeping it running ... :dunno:
          That statement is wrong unless you're in stand still traffic and keep shutting down and starting up everytime you stop. Basically like our smart taxis do when they throw the gar into N and back into D.
          I don't think this is that efficient as the car isn't a hybrid so a start stop system doesn't make much sense...
          sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
          Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
          LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
          P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
          Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

that's what I always thought... maybe one of the engineers on here can shed some light!
            sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
              That statement is wrong unless you're in stand still traffic and keep shutting down and starting up everytime you stop. Basically like our smart taxis do when they throw the gar into N and back into D.
              I don't think this is that efficient as the car isn't a hybrid so a start stop system doesn't make much sense...
              Exactly what I meant ! :)
              sigpic
              07' HFP Accord | Current
              HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

There must be an algorithm that justifies the repeated use of the required amount of fuel to overcome the engine's inertia upon firing up. Assume:

- the engine needs an amount of fuel to fire up it would use to idle for X seconds
                - the start/off module would switch off the engine if the car idles for more than X seconds
                - in an ideal case the car would always be idle fora value greater than 2X seconds to justify the startup fuel amount
                - the start/off module is a desparate attempt of hoping ideal lab conditions would be the case in real gridlocks

My $0.02
                Last edited by Ayham; 16-07-2010, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Perhaps!

I do not expect it to work on the roads.
                  sigpic

Comment

for the engine to actually save fuel on this, the amount of time the car is not moving should be significant enough that starting up again requires less gas than if the car had been turned on still.....i dont c any way of the car being able to tell how much ur gona be stuck in traffic so i believe this is pointless

My $0.02 (Ayham style) :)

Comment

congrats another pointless bmw technology :clap:

Comment

^ :rofl::rofl:
                        sigpic
                        07' HFP Accord | Current

Comment

Well you never know, what if BMW came up with some magical way of firing the engine up by consuming less fuel than when idling?

I'm sure BMW engineers thought it through don't you think?
                          '08 G37S with bolt-ons, a drop and 20's

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

We are only speculating, none of these opinions was based on an official technical bulletin by BMW :)

We could be correct, let's wait for their end of it.

Comment

I believe it would be a better idea to keep 4 or if possible 2 cylinders running when the vehicle is stationary.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X