1969 Bertone BMW 2800 Spicup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1969 Bertone BMW 2800 Spicup

In our recent Munich trip, we had a chance to spend an evening at the BMW Museum, adjacent to the headquarters. Among the legendary and unseen BMW M8, we had the opportunity to see another unique BMW vehicle: Bertone BMW 2800 Spicup.

The vehicle was designed by Nuccio Bertone, Automotive Hall of Fame designer and constructor, who designed cars for Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Ford, among many others. The Spicup is based on the BMW 2800 and was first exhibited as a show car at the Geneva Motor Show in 1969.

The name Spicup is a combination of the terms “Spider” and “Coupe”. According to BMW, for decades, this one-of-a kind vehicle was believed to be lost, until it was discovered in a barn in 2008 and then restored.

The Spicup term also referred to the roof consisting of two panels, that could slide into a large size T-bar. The interior was fitted with a cacophony of green, yellow and silver skai upholstery. The front part of the bore a resemblance to the Alfa Romeo Montreal, shown a year earlier.

According to UltimateCarPage, the car 1969 Bertone BMW 2800 Spicup was not very well received at its 1969 Geneva Motor show launch and with no further use for it, BMW decided to sell it. The new owner drove the car for over 100,000 km and at one point, he even decided to change the exterior paint to orange with a black interior.

At one point, the Spicup fell off the radar, but it later reappeared in the garage of a Netherlands car collector.The car was later sold to a Belgian enthusiast, who has brought it back to its original configuration, or at least close to it. It required a full re-spray but the interior formed the biggest challenge as matching colors of the original material used were not available anywhere. It was therefore decided to go for all leather trim, whereby the silver parts of the seats were actually hand painted.

The car was shown the last time at the 2009 Villa d’Este Concours until it appeared now in the BMW Museum in Munich.

Source:bmwblog
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

If I am not mistaken, it also has an Alpina badge on the centre console where it rises to meet the dashboard.
    sigpic

Comment

never heard of this car... doesn't look bad in my books

Comment

Wow i've never heard of it:O.. Looks great tho..
        sigpic
        BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
          If I am not mistaken, it also has an Alpina badge on the centre console where it rises to meet the dashboard.
          That's a Bertone badge if my memory serves me right.

A BMW with Italian looks doesn't really work for me.
          The M1 made it out of Lamborghini alive but got it's distinctive BMW trade mark design cues that make it look and feel like a BMW.
          This is just one of those 60's projects that never really went anywhere.
          sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
          Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
          LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
          P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
          Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

^^ Which makes it VERY, VERY special. Imagine BMW walking up to you to buy a one-off creation of their own?

Comment

from my understanding this was the only item ever built? if that's case who on earth would drive it 100,000 kms and dump it? lol that's a stupid thing to do if you ask

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
                That's a Bertone badge if my memory serves me right.
                Are you referring to this badge?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                  from my understanding this was the only item ever built? if that's case who on earth would drive it 100,000 kms and dump it? lol that's a stupid thing to do if you ask
                  It was the late 60's, the "dude" era! Dope and cocaine were just discovered! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
                    Are you referring to this badge?

Yes, that's the one. But, through searching turns out it's not and the photo isn't clear enough to prove.
                    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

:iagree:
                      sigpic

Comment

I would look so cool driving this car, if only we were in 1960s..

Comment

BMW Badge doesn't belong there... :dunno:
                          sigpic
                          07' HFP Accord | Current
                          HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

looks like alfa romeo montreal !!!
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Montreal

Comment

Working...
                            X