Comparison: New Mercedes-Benz E-Class vs. New BMW 5 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison: New Mercedes-Benz E-Class vs. New BMW 5 Series

The moment we have all been waiting for is finally here: a real life comparison between the recently unveiled 2011 BMW 5 Series and the latest Mercedes-Benz E-Class design. While we have been down this road just a few days ago with a photo comparison between the 5 Series and its competitors, this is time, the German magazine Autobild managed to get their hands on the new 5 and place it against the E-Class, and by place it, we mean, literally next to it.
    The head-to-head photoshoot and comparison of the two models included the BMW 530d and Mercedes E350 CDI, two diesel engines very popular in Europe. The eternal confrontation, as Autobild has named it, creates and will create lots of controversy and disputes among BMW fans and plenty of comparison articles will flow from now on.
    The new 5 Series not only put some more weight on, but it has also grown in size. It measures 4,899 mm in length, 1,86 mm in width and has a height of 1,464 mm. 28 centimeters more than the original 5 Series of 1972. Mercedes-Benz E-Class has the following dimensions: 4,868 mm in lengths, 1,854 mm width and 1,471 mm height. Pretty close dimensions, isn’t it?

Inside, the 5 Series welcomes the driver with its comfortable padding, many ways adjustable seats and a sporty yet luxurious cockpit, but as Autobild points out, 2,260 euro extra. Despite the extra inch, Autobild feels that the 5 Series feels less spacious than the E-Class which also has a more comfortable back seat entrance.
    But the BMW 530d stands out with fine details and sophisticated functionality. At 49,300 euros, the 530d offers BMW Parking Assistant, Head-Up Display, Night Vision and in-color surround view. The new BMW 5 Series Sedan includes Adaptive Drive with four adjustable options.

The E-Class offers the 619 euros inflatable multi-contour seats, not as luxurious as the BMW, but also convenient, according to Autobild. The E 350 CDI is priced at 50,992 euros, even at 52,914 euros with the Elegance package. The interior design for the E-Class is labeled as being relatively sober and less elegant while the 5 Series offers more for the eye.

Moving forward with the comparison, Autobild looks at the fuel consumption. The new 5 Series beats the Mercedes by almost a liter per 100 km. While the E 350 CDI comes with a 7-speed automatic gearbox, the 2011 530d uses the new 8-Speed ZF automatic transmission. Furthermore, the V6 diesel in the E-Class has 231 horsepower vs. 245 ponies in the 530d (same torque 540Nm) and it weighs 95 kg more.Fuel consumption is rated at 6.2 liter/100km for the 530d and 7.1 liter/100km for E 350 CDI.
    CO2 emissions is rated at 162g/km for 530d and 186g/km for E-Class. Both cares have a top speed of 250 km/h and the 530d runs from 0-100km/h in 6.3 seconds, 0.5 seconds faster than its competitor.
    Even though Autobild doesn’t draw a final conclusion, the numbers show that the new 5er might have the lead for now….at least in this particular case.

Source:bmwblog.com
    sigpic

No comparison for me, ill take the 5 series anyday over any Merc..

Comment

They are both sexy cars... :) no doubt...

but being a BMW lover, the 5 series is the one for me :D...

but, wouldnt mind owning the E-class either. There are ppl who swear by Mercs when it comes to luxury...I am yet to experience that!
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

best joke ever... thank kimi.

we don't want to hear that the diesel version is 0.5 seconds faster etc...

for me, i don't know about the rest, i want to hear good news about the other versions.

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.509 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/302)

Personaly I wouldn't think a second when it comes to choosin between those 2.cars..I would go for the E-class(I'm kiddin :D)
          sigpic

Comment

4800rpm red-line FTMFSOBAHW!

BMW history:
            07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

I wouldnt deny that the E-class is fine machinery, but being a BMW lover, I'd go for the 5'er even in my sleep. Just like Adidas > Puma. Brand loyalty.
              2008 325i coupe
              Stock

Comment

Working...
              X