Entry Level BMWs to be Front-Wheel Drive - CEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entry Level BMWs to be Front-Wheel Drive - CEO

At the annual accounts press conference in Germany today, BMW CEO Norbert Reithofer confirmed that his company has plans to build a small, front-wheel drive car likely to compete with the Audi A1. The car could be assembled on a new joint architecture currently in the research phase.

This platform would be suitable for both front- and four-wheel drive systems, and would likely be shared by both MINI and BMW. Any architecture for this purpose would be "modular," and be applicable "to various models and brands," according to the executive.

"In the future, we will generate growth both in the large model segments and in the compact and sub-compact model segments," Reithofer said. Noting the growth potential of the city car market, he continued to say, "We will launch more MINI and BMW models and variants - also in the small car segment."

Although all BMWs currently produced are rear-wheel drive, Reithofer clearly states that will not be true for very long. "There will be front-wheel drive BMWs in the smaller vehicle classes in the future," he said.

The MINI range of vehicles are all front-wheel drive, and platform sharing between the two related brands could save money in the long-run.

Look for the new platform to debut on the 2013 MINI Cooper, set to replace the second generation hatchback. The architecture could then be used on up to 20 different models.

Source: WCF
    ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

:thumbsdown:....not a good idea..

and how much smaller are they planning to get? isnt the 1er small enough?
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

BMW has always pride itself on being the company that doesn't know FWD.

:thumbsdown:

Comment

I hope this is some kind of an April Fool prank, its too early though :thumbsdown:

Comment

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
          Meskovic
          this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

:thumbsdown: no comment

Comment

noooooooooooooooooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
                noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
                havent seen this before

+3 then

Comment

if they do something very small i wouldn't mind but if they try to touch the 1er & 3er i swear i would never ever consider buying a BMW again :thumbsdown:

BMW history:
                  07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

well this sucks!!! hope it's some sort of gimmick to get people talking... even if the wrong way, just talking!
                    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

:thumbsdown: FAIL ! :thumbsdown:
                      sigpic
                      07' HFP Accord | Current
                      HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

BMW is trying to compete with Honda :rofl: :rofl:
                        shame on you BMW :P
                        I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
                          if they do something very small i wouldn't mind but if they try to touch the 1er & 3er i swear i would never ever consider buying a BMW again :thumbsdown:
                          +111111

it'll be the end of bmw man !!

2008 E92 335i Space Grey / Coral Red
                          Mods: Front Aero Lip | Hartge Rear Spoiler | JB+ Performance Chip | AA bov | AA full exhaust system | Air Scoops

www.moenajati.com

Comment

Originally posted by mahmoud_bedewi View Post
                            BMW is trying to compete with Honda :rofl: :rofl:
                            shame on you BMW :P
                            what about honda?

any successfull rwd honda?

see, it cannot even compete with bmw

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder View Post
                              what about honda?

any successfull rwd honda?

see, it cannot even compete with bmw
                              I see the S2000 as a successful lightweight RWD car, but yeah i agree with you BMW are specialized in RWD, but If you want a japanese RWD competitors to BMW, I pick Nissan, they have a bunch of successful RWDs, also the RX series from Mazda and supra from Toyota

I think this step from BMW is in the wrong direction, it resembles Benz's step with A and B class that I consider a big failure in Benz's history, in my opinion BMW shouldn't go to the FWD area
                              I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

Working...
                              X