Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did BMW ever build a one-off E36 M3 3.2 Compact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did BMW ever build a one-off E36 M3 3.2 Compact?

And the answer is yes. The history of M cars is fascinating and sometimes older information are hard to come by, furthermore, some things are being lost in the past.

How many of you were aware of an E36 M3 Compact model? If you raised your hand, then this article might not relate to you, but we have to admit that this one has slipped through our knowledge of BMW history.

The 3.2-liter E36 M3 was first shown at the 1995 Frankfurt Motor Show, but the North American-spec version did not appear until the 1996 New York International Auto Show. The E36 M3 3.2 was immediately produced in coupe and convertible forms, as well as a four-door sedan. Like the original 3.0-liter E36 M3, 3.2-liter models were equipped with two different powerplants, one for North America (S52) and a second for Europe and the rest of the world (S50 B32).

Now here is where it gets interesting. BMW M Division built an an extra model, an one-off car in a Compact form, hatchback as we call it here in the States. What it’s even more interesting is the fact that BMW built this one single unit in honor of the 50th birthday of the german Auto Motor und Sport magazine.

The E36 BMW M3 3.2 Compact was powered by the S50 B32 european engine and featured a Getrag six-speed manual gearbox. To make it stand out even more from the regular M, the car featured a special quad-tip exhaust configuration that previewed the similar arrangement that would later appear on the E36/7 M roadster and E36/8 M coupe.

E36 M3 3.2 Compact model also included an M-tuned suspension, M3-spec brakes and 17-inch forged M Double Spoke alloy wheels. An M-Technic aero package, M aerodynamic rear-view mirrors and clear turn signal lenses dressed up the Bright Red (314) exterior, while the interior was treated to the M3 instrument panel, Recaro racing seats in black cloth with red four-point seatbelts, plus an Alcantara-wrapped steering wheel and gearshift knob.

The car was featured in the AMS magazine back in 1996 and a scan of the article can be seen below.

We hope we enjoy this and stay tuned for more BMW history flashbacks!

Source: bmwblog

The beauty is that you CAN build one of these to pretty much any spec you want...I think of it as an "obtainable" CSL :D

Comment

I never knew they made an M from that ti compact car!

I remember my first attempt to buy a car, i was looking for an E36 M3, and after not finding any withing my price range, the sales person tells me he has something else that i will like! shows me a 318ti!!!! lolllllll I told him any slower and i'll buy a bicycle!!! No offense to 318 owners! but when ur target is the biggest engine, its not the best choice to show a 318 and try to sell! :)
      sigpic
      Audi R8 - White / Blk
      Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

The Ti body "flies" with an M52 and LSD!! I can't think what it's like to drive one with an S motor...

Comment

^ True! The car is light and feels like a go-cart! haha!
          sigpic
          Audi R8 - White / Blk
          Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

no offence, but it's another e36 front end with an incomplete rear end.

Comment

^^ The point is??

Cousin, less is ALWAYS better :D

Comment

This is like a dream for me ! :eyes2:
                sigpic
                07' HFP Accord | Current
                HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

I prefer The E36 M3 with the Big A$$ ... Looks Better :D
                  sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
                  E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
                  E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
                  E23 735i - Sold

Comment

^^ +1
                    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

i wish i did not

but 50 50 weight dist. huh?

nice...but looks shhhhh

Comment

looks like crap regardless of how it performs :puke:

BMW history:
                        07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

I LOVE IT !! (Performance Wise)
                          sigpic
                          07' HFP Accord | Current
                          HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

I like it! And a bit of trivia...I always thought the Z3 M was the first M car with a quad exhaust until I heard of this one recently!

Comment

i was to build like this but then decide not cuz of its bad Subframe

it shares Z3 Suspension , Even with ZM upgrade still not my cup

BTW its Soooooooooooo Fast

Comment

Working...
                              X