Mystery BMW M3 Caught Testing on Nurburgring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery BMW M3 Caught Testing on Nurburgring

BMW aficionados know that once an M car goes into production that's it, there will not be any technical upgrades during its lifecycle. And since the current M3 was launched two years ago a new one is not expected until at least 2013. So then why is BMW testing an M3 around the Nurburgring in 2009? And why does the subject sport a very basic-looking rear wing, a front bumper splitter and what appears to be a roll cage?

A number of ideas are coming up regarding this, including one saying this is a CSL (Coupe Sport Lightweight). It will be remembered that a track-focused lightweight M3 CSL last went on sale with the E46 model. Among others it had a carbon fibre roof, an SMG II transmission, 90-degree fixed front seats and semi-slick tyres. But BMW says a CSL is not on the agenda for the E92.

Another possible culprit could be a road going version of the BMW M3 GT4 race car. Audi is availing units of the R8 GT3 to the public and BMW might be doing the same with its racer. The E46 M3 had a Competition Package which was also called the CS in the UK. But most of its makeup was taken from the CSL and so without it such a derivative seems unlikely. What do readers think?

...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

How do we know that its not just some guy running the ring in his kitted up M3 with black wheels ? :hmm:

Comment

whats the Nurburgring??
      1983 BMW 635CSI (owned 1991-1993)

Comment

My thoughts exactly ssense...apart from the front mounted sensor, it looks like some Joe's M3

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.247 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

If proven rights and it's a csl... Notice how ayham will bash and flame the heck out of it :rofl:

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.247 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Lol I just looked at the pics... These are the neez rims painted flat black. And asharjah wing at the back... This aint no csl

Comment

How's ur bday party goin coz???
              How can u make a 1,700kg car a CSL anyway??

Comment

Magic

Comment

I remember seeing an E92 M3 in Abu Dhabi, Alpine White, with the same huge wing.. This and that, both look fugly !

P.S: Rami, please add the sources to any articles posted.. :)

Comment

it seems to have a roll cage and the wing is so camry 1997 style!!!
                    sigpic
                    :///M: More POWER Means More RESPONSIBILTIES .....at the end you ll pay ur freakin traffic fines like everybody so stop smoking whatever u have been smoking:smoke:

Comment

this is the twin turbo M3 coz they're gonna ditch the N/A 4.0L

BMW history:
                      07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Well the wing is disgusting.. Arent the rims taken off the e46 CSL and painted black?
                        sigpic
                        BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
                          this is the twin turbo M3 coz they're gonna ditch the N/A 4.0L
                          and this is how rumours start....
                          Meskovic
                          this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

^^ :rofl:

I'm with SSense... I think it's just some guy driving his car!
                            sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

well it might be that this is just a guy driving around the ring in his own car, but a E92 M3 owner would never rice out such a car with that plan rear wing and that hint of a lip at the front.... i guess they are testing sth out. might not be a CSL, and i dont think so, but migh be sth that we will see on the BMW performance cataloge :)
                              sigpic
                              iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                              Falcons Garage
                              Carbotech

Comment

Working...
                              X