BMW and Mercedes both working on three-cylinder petrol engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW and Mercedes both working on three-cylinder petrol engines

Some of the most interesting BMW news in the last few months revolved around BMW’s future plans to build three-cylinder engines which will power the next generation 1 and 3 Series. The 3-cylinder engines will power some of the entry level vehicles and smaller mild hybrid platforms, including the BMW Z2.

Back in May, we learned that these engines are currently in a testing phase and are still about two years away from the launch date. BMW sources have told Autocar that the next 1-series has been engineered to cope with the unique noise, vibration and harshness of a three-cylinder engine, all characteristics of this type of engine.

BMW already has experience with this technology which has been used in its Motorcycle division.

Autocar UK reports that Mercedes-Benz is working on three-cylinder turbocharged unites as well which will make their way into the C-Class models. “A three-cylinder engine in the C-class is quite conceivable,” said Daimler’s board member in charge of R&D, Dr Thomas Weber.

While BMW’s three cylinder 1.35-liter engine is rumored to output anywhere from 122 to 180 horsepower and 162 lb-ft (220Nm) of torque, Merecedes-Benz talks about a 1.2-liter three-cylinder turbo engine with 168 horsepower and 150-185 lb-ft (203-250Nm) of torque.

These engines with less cylinders and displacement from both automakers will make up the performance by being turbocharged.

BMW plans to release their three-cylinder engine within two years, most likely coinciding with the new generation 1 Series. Merecedes-Benz told Autocar that the first three-cylinder powerplant from them will go on sale in the next four to five years.
    Source: bmwblog

the numbers on the power output are crazy! hehe... from such small engines
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

1.3L >>>>> 180 HP ?

That's amazing !! :)
      sigpic
      07' HFP Accord | Current
      HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

:bmwbest:

Comment

What's the point of shifting fro 4 cylinders to 3??? Any advantages??
          Photographer
          My Website

Comment

Obviously less fuel consumption (theoritically). But the smaller the engine, the higher your RPM average to deem the car drivable, which eliminates the theoritical fuel economy. They will also be louder, much louder.

Everytime I'd drive a 1.3L car, especially a Lancer, I keep wondering if it's actually road legal. But with FI things improve dramatically, I would give it a shot and see how they do.

The Suzuki Swift GTI had an I3 (Inline 3), 1.0L turbocharged engine back in the '90s and by God was it fast! Highest death/accidents percentage in Jordan! So there's still hope ;)

Comment

correction
              the swift GTI is 1.3L 16v injection and turbo and the whole secret of this pocket rocket is engine balancing
              I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

My bad, haven't been in touch with them for a decade!!

They featured revolutionary techs back in the day like the aluminum engine block, forged conrods, twin cams (which were LTW!!), etc.

Fadi Bikawi (one of the HPDS instructors) owned one of these for years in Jordan and he always managed to be among the top 10 in speed tests. I had an insane ride in one once, I seriously saw my life flash before me eyes.

But they don't build them like this anymore, so no wet dreams ppl!!

Comment

this one is a swift GTI from egypt

[youtube]2pglCT-bByk[/youtube]

Comment

I love his name... haha, Mcgyver
                    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

heheheh
                      he is very famous in egypt, maybe this vid is not so good, but this guy performs all the stunts in the egyptian movies including Asala Nasri video clip named "tasawar" if u know it

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                        My bad, haven't been in touch with them for a decade!!

They featured revolutionary techs back in the day like the aluminum engine block, forged conrods, twin cams (which were LTW!!), etc.

Fadi Bikawi (one of the HPDS instructors) owned one of these for years in Jordan and he always managed to be among the top 10 in speed tests. I had an insane ride in one once, I seriously saw my life flash before me eyes.

But they don't build them like this anymore, so no wet dreams ppl!!
                        old cars feeling will never be felt with modern cars with all the drivers aids provided, if u drive a swift or a similar car, u feel that u r DRIVING it, if u drive a modern car whatever it is, u feel there is a ghost that does shifts, brakes or turns yet if u win in a modern car ppl praise u while if u perform properly in an old car and u donot win....ppl make fun of u and your old car :thumbsdown:

Comment

this would be good :D
                          Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

Interesting..
                            '13 F10 ///M5 6MT Alpine White
                            '06 E63 ///M6 SMG Silverstone
                            '95 E36 2JZ Swap Gray - Drift
                            '92 E36 325i Black
                            History:
                            '08 E92 ///M3 6MT Silverstone
                            '06 E60 ///M5 SMG Alpine White
                            '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg
                            '98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue

Comment

check this and tell me is it real ???
                              [youtube]5uuE27ySL0k&feature=related[/youtube]
                              [youtube]FvoQyBibCtU&feature=related[/youtube]
                              Last edited by mahmoud_bedewi; 12-08-2009, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X