BMW to produce lighter, stronger parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW to produce lighter, stronger parts

During tough economical times, it has been historically proven that innovative companies managed to get the edge in their industry. A recent article published by Automotive News talks about BMW’s plans to produce lighter, stronger parts. To accomplish this, BMW is spending $69.7 million on an innovative press hardening facility at its Dingolfing plant.

A second press hardening facility will be at the Leipzig plant where the new 1 Series family will be built and this new lighter parts techniques will be used on future BMW models as well.

We’ve learned in the past that the new 2011 BMW 5 Series will take advantage of these new lighter materials which will allow BMW to keep the weight fairly low on this new model, despite the all-steel chassis.

Here is an excerpt from the article:

BMW will make high strength body parts such as chassis beams and side skirts with the new press hardening process.

Saving pounds
    It will be the first use of press hardening technology in the auto industry anywhere in the world, BMW said. It makes it possible to construct high-strength components at lower weights.
    The new process cuts vehicle weight by almost 51 pounds. This in turn shrinks fuel consumption by up to 0.1 liter per 100 kilometers driven, or just under half a cup of gasoline for every 62 miles.

The new facility thus contributes to BMW’s “efficient dynamics” program, an effort to improve vehicle performance along a range of fronts.

The 5 Series Gran Turismo will be the first model using these components. Over the next three years, eight more new BMW models will incorporate components from the facility.
    The Dingolfing press facility will supply BMW’s factory network worldwide.
    Full Article

Source: bmwblog

they should do it from long time and it does not need advertising

Comment

hope the ///M division gets even more creative!
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

^^+1
        sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Here's a thought: How about they make the new 5 GT so light by not putting an engine in it? Just keep it at BMW Weld in the "Gone Wrong" section...

I wonder why the new 5 Series is to use an all-steel chassis? Steel prices have dropped by 60% this year, could be that. But this is a very good technology and I'm sure they will find more parts to re-engineer and take more weight out. It's very tricky when almost all the BMW clientelle is shouting for more luxuries (they gave them the X5 M and X6 M, haven't they? :() to keep the weight as is, or indeed take it down. Genius!

Comment

Theres Engineering for ya, any cars biggest enemy is weight. And theres BMW shedding it properly, not sacrificing less options or even necessities such as sound proofing like the lovely Japs do.
            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

I would like to get the feeling of such thing but I guess I won't feel any difference.
              '13 F10 ///M5 6MT Alpine White
              '06 E63 ///M6 SMG Silverstone
              '95 E36 2JZ Swap Gray - Drift
              '92 E36 325i Black
              History:
              '08 E92 ///M3 6MT Silverstone
              '06 E60 ///M5 SMG Alpine White
              '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg
              '98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue

Comment

Working...
              X