REPORT: Next BMW M5 to feature twin-turbo V10 with 600 hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REPORT: Next BMW M5 to feature twin-turbo V10 with 600 hp

The next BMW M5 is due to arrive sometime in 2011 or 2012 and as the release date draws near, more details about BMW's newest 'Bahn-burner have begun to surface.

Two reports indicate that BMW may continue to use a V10 powerplant in the next M5, although there's still some evidence that the twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 currently fitted to the X5M and X6M could be tweaked and fitted in its place. However, if BMW decides to stick with the bent-ten, a thoroughly revised version based off the 'utes' V8 would be employed, packing a duo of turbos to boost output up and over the 600 hp mark, and giving the Audi RS6 a run for its money.

But it won't be all about power. BMW is also expected to use an F1-style KERS system to increase performance and fuel economy, along with an engine start-stop setup and an eight-speed dual-clutch gearbox. If the rumors are to be believed, expect the next M5 to make its debut sometime in 2011, with sales beginning in early 2012.
    Source: autoblog

damn twin-Turbo V10 :drool:! i still insist that Ms were better off NA... Are all the next M5s keep increasing by 100 hp? :D
    sigpic
    BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

sounds scary and a powerhouse for sure... Although I do agree with SHkater, I prefer the NA versions and I think they were the true engineering breakthroughs!!!

saying that... It'll be interesting to see what they sound like and how they perform
      sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Twin-Turbo V10 :drool::drool::drool::drool:

sigpic
        07' HFP Accord | Current
        HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

I was with Lutfy in my car last week and we've pushed it for fun and for a change...Lutfy would agree that it'd be a shame to FI an M engine :(

Comment

These days, emissions and turbo charging go together. They have to, and another problem is that much more than 50% of the customers are ONLY looking for the XXXHP and X.X 0-60 time. The couldn't care less about what the M stands for, where this car came from and what it can really do. It's a shame BMW's going with that, but money is money and sales are sales...Lest we forget, 600HP is not a small number, at all !!

Only one question comes to mind, let's say it will be the 600HP engine, what kind of chassis, suspension and brake work would BMW M have to do to still make it feel as light footed as the M5 has been over two decades ?
            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

i wanna put big single on this engine :):):)

Comment

With the ESS SC kit I can get 600+ on my E39
                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
                Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                Schrick cams
                Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
                Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
                KW Coilovers V3
                WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alquazi View Post
                  plus torque!

Comment

:D
                    sigpic
                    07' HFP Accord | Current
                    HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Originally posted by alquazi View Post
                      ESS is developing a SC kit for the E60 and ASR is developing a TT kit... it is going to interesting to see how they will compare to the BMW TT, G-Power SC and the stroker kits
                      ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
                        Only one question comes to mind, let's say it will be the 600HP engine, what kind of chassis, suspension and brake work would BMW M have to do to still make it feel as light footed as the M5 has been over two decades ?
                        and for what price tag!
                        Meskovic
                        this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

just a little under a WHOLE LOT!!!
                          sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
                            and for what price tag!
                            The ASR TT is rumoured to be about $25,000 (that's for a complete rebuild of the engine) and the ESS SC kit is rumoured to be between $15,000 and $20,000... but final numbers aren't out yet, most likely till the end of the year. But both options will definitely be cheaper than a stroker kit or the G-Power kit
                            ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

for turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X