Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New BMW Voice Control System

[youtube]ItQXUy1Q-EQ[/youtube]

BMW is releasing a new voice control system allowing drivers better control over their cars' infotainment and navigation tools. The new system will be available on new cars beginning in September 2009.

You can view a demonstration of the system in the 2:30 video above.

The German automaker claims the system is a first, where drivers only need "one single voice command ... to completely transmit the driver's destination into the navigation system." For example, the driver can state "Chicago, 1060 West Addison" to immediately get directions to Wrigley Field, eliminating the step-by-step process previously used. After stating either a place or an address, the driver's request is immediately processed by the navigation computer.

Likewise, the driver can also give verbal commands to choose between different audio sources, and also to find specific pieces of music. The new voice recognition system allows the driver to state an album, artist, song title, or genre letting drivers only listen to the songs they want to hear. Initially, only the audio saved on an onboard hard drive will be searchable. However, by spring 2010 drivers will be able to search their own mp3 players as well.

As the system is available in many different languages, drivers will be able to search titles from a wide array of artists. So if you want to listen to Dutch band George Baker Selection's album "Little Green Bag", but then switch to either "Una Paloma Blanca" or "So Lang die Sonne Scheint," the system will be able to handle the request whether your passengers like it or not.

For BMW, it was all about making the voice control system safer. The automaker first introduced their "full word destination" controls in 2006, but realized that if a driver has to work through a system step-by-step, they may be inclined to just enter data in manually - and faster. The new system is designed so that "the driver hardly having to take his eyes off the road."

The new voice control system will be available on cars sold in Austria, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, and the United States. It is unclear if the system may be retrofitted on previous cars.

Source: autoblog

NICE!!! I want one :D I have been known to be rather lazy, hehe
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

i dont like it, i love to play with the system manually, and i dont like to put all of my salary if it went wrong :(

Comment

^^ haha .. too much technology can go wrong !
        Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
        Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
        Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
        Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
        1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
        eMail:
        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

nice.
          sigpic

2004 X5, HAMMAN - SOLD
          2006 Z4M - SOLD
          1967 SHELBY GT500CR - SOLD
          2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello - SOLD
          2001 Ferrari 456 MGTA - CURRENT
          2006 Hummer H3 -CURRENT
          2003 Citroen Saxo 1.1 - Special Mongol Rally 2012 - SOLD TO CHARITY
          1997 E36 M3 - PROJECT CAR
          2008 Ferrari 312 Scaglietti - CURRENT

Comment

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:
            sigpic
            07' HFP Accord | Current
            HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Working...
            X