The New BMW 5 Series GT

BMW 550i Gran Turismo:
    V8 gasoline engine with TwinPower Turbo and High Precision Injection
    Capacity: 4, 395 cc,
    max output: 300 kW/407 hp from 5, 500–6,400 rpm,
    max torque: 600 Nm/442 lb-ft from 1,750–4,500 rpm
    Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 5.5 seconds
    Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph)
    Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 11.2 litres/100 kilometres, equal to 25.2 mpg imp
    CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 263 g/km,
    emission standard: EU5

BMW 535i Gran Turismo:
    straight-six gasoline engine with TwinPower Turbo, High Precision Injection and VALVETRONIC,
    Capacity: 2,979 cc,
    max output: 225 kW/306 hp at 5,800 rpm,
    max torque: 400 Nm/295 lb-ft from 1,200–5,000 rpm,
    Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 6.3 seconds,
    Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph),
    Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 8.9 Liter/100 kilometres,
    equal to 31.7 mpg imp,
    CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 209 g/km,

BMW 530d Gran Turismo:
    straight-six diesel engine with aluminium crankcase and third-generation common-rail direct fuel injection (piezo-injectors),
    max injection pressure: 1,800 bar
    Capacity: 2,993 cc,
    max output: 180 kW/245 hp at 4,000 rpm,
    max torque: 540 Nm/398 lb-ft from 1,750–3,000 rpm
    Acceleration 0–100 km/h: 6.9 seconds
    Top speed: 240 km/h (149 mph)
    Average fuel consumption to the EU standard: 6.5 litres/100 kilometres,
    equal to 43.5 mpg imp
    CO2 emissions to the EU standard: 173 g/km,

BMW 5 GT Interior: Best we have seen to date

This is the area that the BMW 5 Series GT shines. The 7 Series was the first vehicle launched by BMW in a while that brought back the interior design quality expected by its fans, followed shortly by the BMW Z4 and now, the 5er GT. It was designed by Oliver Heilner with luxury and comfort in mind. “We wanted a car you could enter without difficulty and feel comfortable in over long journeys. The concept is a four-seater, but the production model will have five, losing the center console in the rear. The displays and controls are grouped according to their functions. The instrument panel enhances the very good visibility provided by the high seating position. The colors and materials for the interior design give the impression of total luxury, spaciousness, in my opinion, a very elegant approach which sends the right message to its potential buyers.
    The impression of luxury is further enhanced by the ceramic elements integrated within the solid wood trim. The panoramic sunroof comes to complete this image.”

Now, if we were to rewrite the review, we will not only agree with everything we said, but we will have no other choice other than to praise it even more. If the concept was a little more conservative in a luxurious way, the production model is showing a far more sportier and realistic approach of the new interior design. Many of the wood panels have been replaced by other trim options, in a way reminding us even more of the new 7 Series. The seats are definitely a step up over any other model out there and we can only imagine how they feel and look in person.
    The dashboard and gauges are definitely one of our favorite design elements and they will satisfy even the most demanding BMW customer.

We won’t to further praising this amazing cabin, so we will rather wait until we see the car in person and be able to report live our findings.

So….what’s interesting about the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo

BMW introduces a new type of front suspension that achieves even better results, particularly in a large, relatively heavy and very powerful vehicle. In place of the strut, this new system has an upper lateral A-arm. The double-pivot lower arms are retained, so that on each side there are three links or arms. While the two lower arms preserve the double-pivot strut system’s advantages, the new upper arm facilitates the system’s handling and riding comfort by relieving the strut of its geometric duties. Some of the immediate advantages of this new multi-link system are large steering caster, more space for larger brakes, reduced friction and small positive steering offset.

As we suspected and mentioned many many times on here, plenty technologies and ideas have been imported from the recently launched 7 Series. The 5 Series Gran Turismo is the first 5er model to have electronically controlled shock absorbers, introduced under the name Dynamic Damping Control, an evolution of the EDC. Combine the DDC with ARS, which stands for Active Roll Stabilization and you have one of the best handling BMWs out there.

Now, let us throw another buzz phrase at you: Integrated Chassis Management and FlexRay. You might be wondering what this is and what it does….don’t worry, you weren’t the only one. BMW’s Integrated Chassis Management is an electronic control scheme which oversees several other components (DSC, DDC, ARS and Integral Active Steering) to ensure maximum stability. This is where FlexRay comes in: “Developed by a consortium of which BMW is a leading member, FlexRay achieves heretofore unheard-of communication speed, some 20 times that previously possible. In the 5 Series Gran Turismo, up to 16 electronic control units can be networked; in no other competitive automobile can longitudinal, lateral and vertical vehicle motions be so precisely monitored and influenced”.

Other 7 Series technologies are included as well, from the optional Night Vision Camera and Camera Package, to the Lane Departure Warning and even Rear Seat Entertainment.
    As a last minute update, the BMW 5 Series GT will make its debut at the Frankfurt IAA motor show in September and European sales will start in October. The pricing for the German market has also been announced, the entry model 530i GT starts at 55,200 euro, followed by the diesel version, 530d GT at 55,700 euro. The high-end model, 550i GT, comes with a premium price of 75,300 euro, approximately $104,000.

BMW North America expects the 550i GT to have a base price set between $65,000-$70,000.
    [youtube]tV3bcKQvjHI[/youtube]

Since the press release is quite long, I will include the PDF file.

Download BMW 5 Series GT Press Release

Souce: bmwblog
    Last edited by SSense; 23-05-2009, 02:11 AM.

lovely interior i've gotta admit.

2008 E92 335i Space Grey / Coral Red
    Mods: Front Aero Lip | Hartge Rear Spoiler | JB+ Performance Chip | AA bov | AA full exhaust system | Air Scoops

www.moenajati.com

Comment

actually not nice look at all!!! like the hashback!

Comment

BMW is following Mercedes-Benz in the ugly design line they walked into with the C-Class and now the E-Class...What's happening people ?
        Who cares about all the kit when a car looks that bad...?
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
          BMW is following Mercedes-Benz in the ugly design line they walked into with the C-Class and now the E-Class...What's happening people ?
          Who cares about all the kit when a car looks that bad...?
          Exactly!!

Latest C class model of Mercedes is so ugly and bad! look at its RIMs!!! they don't think??

Also,
          Latest 3 series of BMW (Sedan E90) has so ugly look from back!! I like the E46 look coupe more than the look of E90 Coupe!!

Now this will be the new look for all 5 series??? :( :( :(

Comment

Originally posted by Bisho View Post
            Exactly!!

Latest C class model of Mercedes is so ugly and bad! look at its RIMs!!! they don't think??

Also,
            Latest 3 series of BMW (Sedan E90) has so ugly look from back!! I like the E46 look coupe more than the look of E90 Coupe!!

Now this will be the new look for all 5 series??? :( :( :(
            u mean the E92 COUPE... ! and i think that the old e90 sedan doesn't look as good as the e92, but the face lifted 1 is good !!
            and oh yeah IMO the e92 looks much better than the e46

Mods: Front Aero Lip | Hartge Rear Spoiler | JB+ Performance Chip | AA bov | AA full exhaust system | Air Scoops

www.moenajati.com

Comment

Originally posted by Moe-335 View Post
              u mean the E92 COUPE... ! and i think that the old e90 sedan doesn't look as good as the e92, but the face lifted 1 is good !!
              and oh yeah IMO the e92 looks much better than the e46

The E92 and E46 Coupe are two completly different design schemes. Theyve got nothing to do with each other, at all !

The E46 and pre-E46 era are history now, so let's talk about the new one. The E92 is a gorgeous car, so is the E90 but not as much. Not to forget, two doors more.
              The E60 wasn't liked that much when it came out, but it was acceptable.
              The F01 7-Series looked like crap in photos, but in real life it was something else !
              X6, a hate it or love it desin .

But this !! A hideous tourer-SAV-cross over wannabe !? It's just wrong . Unproportional everywhere, correct proportion is what made the E92 so sleek. This thing looks like a lump of something.
              Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims

Comment

Sorry yes I mean E92 coupe.

I like the E46 coupe look better than E92 coupe, example: compare between M3 E46 and E92, which one is better?

E90 sedan is so bad... I saw new model of rear lights at AD Motors for E90 sedan they are all red no orange, is it the new release?

Comment

Originally posted by Bisho View Post
                  Sorry yes I mean E92 coupe.

I like the E46 coupe look better than E92 coupe, example: compare between M3 E46 and E92, which one is better?

E90 sedan is so bad... I saw new model of rear lights at AD Motors for E90 sedan they are all red no orange, is it the new release?
                  of course the E92 M3:bow:

www.moenajati.com

Comment

my God this thing is HIDEOUS from the outside!!! absolutely revolting!

the interior on the other hand... now that is luxury and beauty!!
                    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Moe-335 View Post
                      of course the E92 M3:bow:
                      e92 ! all the way man!

and as for the 550 GT - what is this thing ? it really doesnt look like a BMW design, i mean - they're clearly drifting. . .

but the interior - its gorgeous, the lights have now been carried onto the dash, which IMHO looks way too good!

Any ideas who was the cheif designer for this project ?
                      2008 325i coupe
                      Stock

Comment

Originally posted by hiten86 View Post
                        e92 ! all the way man!

and as for the 550 GT - what is this thing ? it really doesnt look like a BMW design, i mean - they're clearly drifting. . .

but the interior - its gorgeous, the lights have now been carried onto the dash, which IMHO looks way too good!

Any ideas who was the cheif designer for this project ?
                        This moron !
                        Attached Files

Comment

Mr. Adrian Van Hooydonk !

Comment

while i somehow agree with most new BMW models, this one is crap, PERIOD!

i hope this model sells like 5-6 cars in 2009-2010 so they stop it & apologize for introducting it!

BMW history:
                            07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

The exterior is a cross between the 7 series n the X6 ... n its utterly hideous!...they could have really done something spectacular with this one...

However, the interior is pure luxury! the mood lighting is just fantastic! they have taken it to the next level!

probably they are trying to position the sale based on the interior since you spend most of the time there! but at the first glance of the exterior :nono: :puke:
                              Current
                              E92 M3 - Mineral White
                              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                              E36 318is
                              E39 540i ///M sport
                              VW CC
                              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
                              X