BMW History: Did you know that…..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW History: Did you know that…..

Prior to building automobiles, BMW used to manufacture engines for airplanes and shortly after, motorcycles? Since its inception in 1916, Bayerische Motoren Werke AG was one of the most important makers of aircraft engines. BMW’s first significant engine was the Illa inline-six liquid-cooled engine built in 1918, famous for its high-altitude performance.

After World War I, by the Versailles Armistice Treaty, BMW was forced to cease aircraft engine production and started focusing on the motorcycles. Some of the most successful aircraft engines were the BMW 132 and BMW 801 air-cooled radial engines, and the pioneering BMW 003 axial-flow turbojet, which powered the tiny, 1944-45-era jet-powered “emergency fighter”, the Heinkel He 162 Salamander, and was tested in the A-1b version of the world’s first jet fighter, the Messerschmitt Me 262.

Some people also say that the BMW roundel portrays the movement of an airplane propeller to signify the white blades cutting through the blue sky, but we’ll leave this subject for another time.

Source: bmwblog

i never knew that honestly..... thanks for sharing :)

BMW history:
    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Back in design school we learned the history of various car makers, i'll get those notes and share it with you :)
      2008 325i coupe
      Stock

Comment

Originally posted by hiten86 View Post
        Back in design school we learned the history of various car makers, i'll get those notes and share it with you :)
        Yes, but we dont want history of the various car makers, get us only the BMW notes..

Comment

nice to know about my car manufacturer history :D

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
            Yes, but we dont want history of the various car makers, get us only the BMW notes..
            Obviously! i wouldnt be posting a history of Maruti ? now would i :P?
            2008 325i coupe
            Stock

Comment

Originally posted by hiten86 View Post
              Obviously! i wouldnt be posting a history of Maruti ? now would i :P?
              Good, i thought you'd post about Marutis or the Ambas/Ambassadors :D

Comment

Hey you! Ambassadors are classics now ! :spank2:

And however ****** they are - I love 'em! :)

Thats what the maharajas used to drive in! - Until they got introduced to the Buick 8
                2008 325i coupe
                Stock

Comment

Yes I know that since toooo many years ago : P

Comment

Working...
                  X