BMW M3 GT2 to race streets of Long Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW M3 GT2 to race streets of Long Beach

The Long Beach Grand Prix will mark the first-ever appearance of a BMWNA M3 at one of motorsport’s premiere events and the team will look to take advantage of the lessons learned at St. Pete and continue to improve. While similar in nature, the Long Beach circuit features many faster corners that play to the M3’s strengths.

A key point of the track will be the 180 degree hairpin leading onto the long Shore Line Drive start finish straight; the M3s will be required to use every bit of their outstanding traction to be able to fend off competitive attacks going into turn one.

Californians Bill Auberlen and Joey Hand hope to use their home court advantage to give the No. 90 M3 a strong start to the season, albeit a late one. Both are looking to Long Beach to turn their luck around.

“I was very comfortable in the M3 at St. Pete and know the agility of the car will translate well to the slightly wider Long Beach circuit where the cornering speeds are higher,” said Hand. “One of the keys is to be the best off the hairpin so we can hang down the long straight. Long Beach is the race I’d like to win more than anything.”

Auberlen added, “It has been a dream of mine to race a M3 at Long Beach and I’m looking forward to the opportunity. In only two races the program has shown signs that we can run at the front end of the grid. This M3 is the most advanced ever and once we come to terms with all of the technology we’ll be right there.”

This will be the first trip to the 1.968-mile, 11-turn Long Beach street circuit for the team, but like in St. Pete, not the first time for the experienced Rahal Letterman Racing crew members or team principal Bobby Rahal, a four-time runner-up at Long Beach in Indy Car competition.

“Long Beach is a special race for a number of reasons and one that has been a focal point for me and our team for many years,” said Rahal. “We are excited to bring the M3s here and are expecting to continue the improvements that we saw in St. Petersburg. Our drivers and our team know the circuit well and we are looking forward to a great weekend!”

Two test sessions begin the weekend on Thursday, with official practice scheduled for 9:00 to 9:40 a.m. Friday. A single 25-minute qualifying session is scheduled to begin at 4:00 p.m. that afternoon. The one-hour-and-forty minute race is scheduled to start at 4:15 p.m. Saturday and will be televised from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, April 19 on ABC.

Source: bmwblog

it looks ugly :(

Comment

Originally posted by akanso View Post
      it looks ugly :(
      :eyes2: its a race car bro, Performance matters more than looks..

Comment

i knowwwwww, but mmmmmm, anyway u r right

Comment

the difference in looks between this M3 race car & the F430 (refer last pic) is that the F430 is more or less a stock F430 with some add-ons or minor changes, whereas the BMW is just a "car-shape" with E92 front lights, tail lights & kidney grills..

but i agree to what SSense said, it's function over form!

BMW history:
          07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

I can't even believe we're discussing a GT2 M3 shape!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody kill me now, I can't look at these pics any longer!! I could drive this car to work daily and be covered in a HUGE grin from ear to ear....Why don't road cars come like this?? :(

Comment

+1
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post

Somebody kill me now, I can't look at these pics any longer!! I could drive this car to work daily and be covered in a HUGE grin from ear to ear....Why don't road cars come like this?? :(
                +5

Comment

Looks much better than the F430 and that porsche :)
                  sigpic
                  iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                  Falcons Garage
                  Carbotech

Comment

Originally posted by Bashar M. View Post
                    Looks much better than the F430 and that porsche :)
                    +100

Comment

refere to the 5th picture..... The guy is still in BMW PDS (performance driving school)..... We are in our HPDS (high performance driving school) we are on the higher level :rofl:
                      sigpic
                      iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                      Falcons Garage
                      Carbotech

Comment

^ :rofl:

BMW history:
                        07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post

me too man.
                          sigpic

2004 X5, HAMMAN - SOLD
                          2006 Z4M - SOLD
                          1967 SHELBY GT500CR - SOLD
                          2001 Ferrari 550 Maranello - SOLD
                          2001 Ferrari 456 MGTA - CURRENT
                          2006 Hummer H3 -CURRENT
                          2003 Citroen Saxo 1.1 - Special Mongol Rally 2012 - SOLD TO CHARITY
                          1997 E36 M3 - PROJECT CAR
                          2008 Ferrari 312 Scaglietti - CURRENT

Comment

+1

:logic: :1stcup:
                            sigpic
                            07' HFP Accord | Current
                            HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Working...
                            X