Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumor: BMW M3 to Receive Six Cylinder Turbo - 1 Series M is a Go

BMW M3 to Receive Six Cylinder Turbo - 1 Series M is a go

It has been confirmed that BMW will be using a smaller turbo engine for the 2013 M3. Motor Trend says it spoke to BMW's M Division CEO Ludwig Willisch and he confirmed the upcoming ditching of the current V8 format. The naturally-aspirated 4.0-litre V8 produces 309kW (420hp) and 400Nm of torque. Previous generation M3s used four and six-cylinder motors.

The report states that a new six-cylinder will be employed but it is not the same 3.0-litre twin turbo that is used in the 135i and 335i ranges. Two turbos are likely to be fitted instead of just one. What might miff M traditionalists a little is not a forcefed M3 but the fact that BMW is toying with the idea of a V6 for the M3 which would be more compact as opposed to the traditional inline six BMW is known to strictly use. The new engine might not even be more powerful than the V8 but the car itself would be light in order to counter this power handicap.

The segment will get very interesting as Mercedes-Benz also prepares a new 3.5-litre twin turbo V6 for some of its AMGs and Audi is rumoured to have already forcefed the upcoming RS4 and RS5.

More news on the M front is that a 1 Series-based high-performance car was also confirmed. Thought to be developed by the M guys, BMW will probably not call it an M1. It will also have a compact four-cylinder petrol engine with well over 300hp (221kW).

Finally speculation is that the M5 is about to get its cylinders cut too in order to meet stringent emissions laws and fuel economy standards. The M5 and M6 may end up with a twin turbo V8 motor displacing less than 5.0-litres.

Source: germancarfans.com
    Last edited by SSense; 07-04-2009, 11:47 AM.

if this is true then BMW just admitted their mistake of releasing the current M3 with a V8 :)

BMW history:
    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

All M cars will drop in cylinders to lower the weight
      ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
        All M cars will drop in cylinders to lower the weight
        you mean to minimize the total weight they will gain :thumbsdown:

BMW history:
        07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

- i loved the idea of all ///M's being NA

- i Loved the idea that BMW uses I6 instead of V6

this is a cruel world
          Satisfaction can also be spelled: B.M.W

E90 320i - soon to retire
          19" Black CSL replicas staggured F:8.5", R:9.5" // continental sport contact2 F:235/35/19, R:255/35/19 // Blacklines taillights// Black OEM rear spoiler // Matt Black grill // Y-connector // 30% V-kool tint // H&R sport springs // H&R TRAK+ Wheels Spacers // Black roof+mirrors // De-badged

F30 335i - Current
          M-performance kit // M-performance steering wheel with race displays.

Comment

Why don't Covettes go through this ?
            Pontiac GTO's ?
            Holdens ?

They caused the smog ! They should pay !
            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

lol...cause they dont know how to squeeze out power from smaller engines...

bluntly put, no REAL engineers available :P
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Time for an EVO I guess....I stuck with BMW for years because of their NA technology, not interested in an FI M car, where's the magic in that?! Sure, handling, but c'mon most grocery getters are good handling cars these days...And a V6???????????

Time for a quo!

Comment

Working...
                X