BMW M6 G-Power Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW M6 G-Power Hurricane

It’s early on a Friday morning and I’m sitting in the passenger seat of the G-Power M6.

Arno Husselmann, the South African general manager of Abu Dhabi Motors – the exclusive local distributors of G-Power cars – is behind the wheel and can barely contain his excitement. The bright red M6 is parked up on the hard shoulder of the Abu Dhabi to Al Ain highway and we’re waiting for a gap in the traffic. Now with the numbers of cars on the road running fairly light, you’d think that wouldn’t be a problem. However, Husselmann is looking for a gap slightly larger than usual – a couple of kilometres between cars would be best.

So we wait, and wait, then wait a little bit more, eventually rolling out into the inside lane behind a slow truck, then everything starts moving – very, very quickly.

It’s fair to say it’s not the cleanest of starts, the M6’s rear tyres are doing their best to put the 720bhp of bi-supercharged power down onto the road, but are struggling badly. Only when Husselmann cooly flicks the paddleshift into second at 80kph do they find some traction, and the M6 is pointing in the right direction. The speed limit indicator sounds two seconds later as 120kph is passed. The red needle on the speedo swings rapidly past the 200kph mark as the engine delivers its powers in a supreme single surge, interrupted only by the quick shifts from the standard SMG gearbox.

Husselmann only flicks into seventh when we break past 300kph – we’re covering 80metres every second at this point. The brutal acceleration tapers off a little now as the M6 tries to overcome the extreme aerodynamic forces hitting the front of the car. Seven seconds later we pass 320kph – and the bonnet opens. Thankfully, substantial bonnet pins stop it from smashing into the windscreen causing an almighty accident, but it’s not exactly comforting when you’re riding shotgun.

Up until now I’ve had my eyes fixed on the speedo, but I take a glance out of the windscreen and see a Toyota saloon up ahead in the middle of the road. We’re in the outside lane doing the best part of three times his speed, Husselmann flicks on the full beams to warn him not to move and we storm past. The Hurricane’s F1-car-on-steroids exhaust note enveloping him as we pass.

The needle moves slowly past the 350kph mark, and takes a few moments to reach 360kph – we’re now doing a full 100metre sprint every second. Ten seconds later and 370kph is passed, Husselmann only giving up at an indicated 372kph when the engine warning light comes on.

Yes, 372kph – or 231mph in old money, though it’s probably more like 340-350kph when you take into account some margin for error from the speedo. Still, 340kph is not to be sniffed at. We would have been able to get more accurate speeds if our PerformanceBox hadn’t decided to throw a hissy fit and stop working. If you want to see the run for yourself, watch the video – if you listen carefully you might even hear my screams.

We coast down to legal speeds, then pull over on the hard shoulder. I’m lost for words, mumbling something about having a great time before extracting myself from the passenger seat and lighting up a cigarette to calm my nerves. My mind is full of ‘what ifs’ involving tyre blow outs, errant road users, camels and plenty else.

But none of that did happen, what did happen was one of the most scary and memorable experiences I’ve had. Online editor Phill Tromans was following in G-Power’s development M3 convertible, which is currently sitting in a 450bhp state of tune – capable of ‘just’ 320kph. He’s retelling the launch moment when he witnessed all 720bhp of the Hurricane going sideways down the highway. Then Husselmann asks if I want to drive. I laugh nervously. You want me to drive that!?

I needn’t have worried. Once my heart rate had returned to some sense of normality, I jump behind the wheel. It’s the same familiar M6 interior – except for some dubious looking red-and-black carbon fibre that’s looks like some hardcore robotic clan’s tartan. A quick dab of the throttle gives a good indication of what to expect as the exhaust note reverbs loudly.

However, at less-mental speeds and with a light touch to the controls, the Hurricane M6 is pretty easy to drive. You can potter around at low speeds, and by setting the SMG gearbox into one of its less-aggressive modes, gearchanges don’t even break your neck. Naturally, I did bury the throttle pedal on occasions, to experience the full might of the bi-supercharged V10 first hand but with a sharp eye looking out for speed cameras.

Do so and you feel an unrelenting surge of power as the engine note becomes angrier as you race towards the 8200rpm red line. Because G-Power uses superchargers and not turbos, there’s no lag or delay before the engine’s punch comes in. And although the M6’s central computer did throw up all manner of errors during the max speed run, the few minutes of cool down at the side of the road had everything returning to normal. It feels like a development of the M6, not a highly-strung aftermarket special.

If I were ever in the position to own a car like the Hurricane I’d shy away from the AC Schnitzer bodykit and interior fixings, and keep the car looking as standard as possible – even going as far to remove the M6 badges. That way, when you smoke the likes of the Nissan GT-R or a heavily modified Mercedes AMG, they wouldn’t know what hit them.

Though new to the region, G-Power is one of the long-standing German tuning houses. It started in modest ways back in 1971 as a Esso petrol station, but soon branched out into selling and servicing BMW Alpinas. In the following years, the company made a name for itself in the racing and tuning field, before launching its own brand in 1983.

One of the first cars to make the company well-known was a 3-series estate fitted with a the engine from an M3. Ten years on it was producing supercharged M3s, M5s and even a wide-bodied one for a Russian customer. It dabbled in endurance racing in the early 2000’s competing in a G-Power M3 in the Nurburgring 24hrs and took class victory in the Tuner-Grand Prix in Hockenheim in a 450bhp Z3 Coupe

Recently, it’s been the Hurricane models that have garnered the most interest. The 720bhp M5 Hurricane is officially the fastest BMW four-door in the world. But G-Power has gone even further with its latest Hurricane RS model. With 830bhp and a measured maximum speed of 367.4kph at the Nardo high-speed test track in Italy, it is now the world’s fastest road-legal four-door saloon. It takes the crown from Brabus whose Mercedes CLS-based Rocket used to hold the title with a 366kph top speed.

It’s not just the M models that G-Power works on, it has kits for every model in the BMW stable and is currently working on a harder and faster version of the X6.

In the coming months, if you should find yourself in Abu Dhabi keep an eye on your rear-view mirror for a bodykitted X6 smoking away the traffic – do yourself a favour and let it by. Husselmann may be on another maximum speed attempt and you don’t want to get in his way.

Source: CAR Magazine

Attached Files
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

The high speed run video :)

[youtube]dtAPyoBC-bw[/youtube]
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

:drool::drool::drool:

Saw it a while ago....a friend of mine took a shot ! :read:

P.S : The video is a
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      07' HFP Accord | Current
      HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

i wanna forward the link with pics & vids to AD POLICE!

BMW history:
        07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

They will arrest him and tow the car :police:

:rofl::rofl:
          sigpic
          07' HFP Accord | Current
          HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

i had seen the vid before i read it

so it was like reading the book after seeing the movie of it

it sucks !

about AD police...Come on guys, they must know about it

Comment

It is fantastic.
              The guy who is driving obeys the rules exacly. He did not forgot to give his left sigal at 300km/h
              :):):)
              sigpic
              Current
              2005 Ford Explorer
              History
              2006 Dodge Durango 5.7
              2001 323ci (Manual) :bmw3:
              2002 Ford Escape 3.0
              2000 Peugeot 306 1.6
              1983 E30 3.18ci (My first love):bmwfan:

Comment

DAAAAAAYUUUUUUUUMMMM!

that was insane! freakin ugly interior but DAYUUM!
                sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
                  i wanna forward the link with pics & vids to AD POLICE!
                  :iagree:
                  yes please do!

Originally posted by ahmad.alkhalil View Post
                  DAAAAAAYUUUUUUUUMMMM!

that was insane! freakin ugly interior but DAYUUM!
                  gpower with a mix of ACS:rofl:

however, no one can deny their performance products

Comment

Nice... but it's still not 100% reliable... the cluster is lit up like a christmas tree
                    ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Incredible Power :drool:
                      I wonder on which road did he try this speed, since most of the roads have radars growing like trees all over:dunno:

Comment

he said AD-AA highway

BMW history:

Comment

Even on AD-AA highway, its hard to understand someone can reach that speed, since the radars are close enough for someone to drive this fast :dunno:

Comment

yeah i know! but somehow they did it!

BMW history:

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
                              yeah i know! but somehow they did it!
                              :lol: no worries bro, im just wondering, not arguing :)

Comment

Working...
                              X