BMW S54 M Inline-Six Classic Retires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW S54 M Inline-Six Classic Retires

BMW has retired its classic 3.2 liter inline six-cylinder engine.

The powerplant, known as the S54B32 amongst BMW engineers and automotive purists, powered the last generation Z4 M Roadster and Coupe, the M3 (E46) and a several earlier generation Z3 M Roadster and Coupes too. The 3.2 liter engine distinguished itself as a naturally aspirated straight-six churning out 343 hp - more than 100 hp per liter without any artificial induction. That simplicity and artfulness of engineering made the engine renowned for its steady levels of torque across the rev band.

One should always be weary when an automaker phases-out a classic product and replaces it with the new and unproven. How many times has a manufacturer messed up the process of renewal and actually taken a product line a few steps back? After all, this engine won the International Engine of the Year award upon its introduction in 2001 as well as winning the 3.0 to 4.0 liter category for six consecutive years between 2001 and 2006.

But this is BMW and maybe a little trust is warranted. They don't usually leap blindly into the marketplace with under-developed products, especially engines.

The S54B32 will be replaced in the Z4 by other inline six-bangers, including a 2.5 liter, 201 hp and a twin-turbo 3.0 liter with 302 hp. Let's hope those powerplants come packed with the same kind of supple sizzle.

...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Carbon airbox...:cry:
    sigpic
    07' HFP Accord | Current
    HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

i have a feeling that whoever wrote the article is new in the business..
      the S54 wasn't replaced with the 2.5L and the 3L TT engines of the new Z4, it was replaced by the 4L V8 in the new M3 :read:

BMW history:
      07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

hmmm one of the lucky ones to have this magnificent piece of engineering! :).... The best engine ever i must say!
        Current
        E92 M3 - Mineral White
        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
        E36 318is
        E39 540i ///M sport
        VW CC
        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I think what the person meant was that S54 6 cylinder was replaced with other 6 cylinder engines (2.5 and 3.0)... but you are right the S54 is replaced with the 4L V8 if we are talking M to M engines
          ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

my engine is for sale.... AED 400k since it recently got discountinued. this is with club discount. lol

Comment

lol!!...yea so that u can buy the new M3 eh!? is that why u have priced it at 400k? :P
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

no it will be very rare in few years, you should do the same and control the market.

Comment

lol!! yea!!! lets do that ;)..
                  Current
                  E92 M3 - Mineral White
                  F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                  E36 318is
                  E39 540i ///M sport
                  VW CC
                  E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Bruno and his ingenious ideas!!! u've had too much time on ur hands my friend ;)
                    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

That's not a bad idea at all and sense says you must invest in collecting scrap/2nd hand S54 units now while you still can. People have made fortunes from this time and time again..

Comment

I see the formation of a mafia! Ayham, Bruno, Me, Ahmad, Rifo....

the rest of the M3 owners in??? :P
                        Current
                        E92 M3 - Mineral White
                        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                        E36 318is
                        E39 540i ///M sport
                        VW CC
                        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I'm in !! :D ..... pick some Latin name for me :P ... I'll get my Cohiba Cigar !
                          Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                          Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                          Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                          Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                          1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                          Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                          eMail:
                          Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

A truly marvelous piece of engineering. A race engine for the road to say the least.

You guys really are lucky to have such an engine, six consecutive years !

I like this part, 'Without artificial induction" . ARTIFICIAL you hear that you imported air pump Japs !!
                            Don't even go near the 335i on this one, we're talking about M and other equivalant engines of other makers.
                            sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                            Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                            LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                            P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                            Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

we have over 45 m3 owners on the forum... we can control the market if we want.

Comment

Working...
                              X