Dyno Day @ TAM Engineering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyno Day @ TAM Engineering

Great event... for those that showed up and actually dynoed their cars (2 BMWs & 1 Porsche ). Hopefully we can get the GT1 tool really soon and have a better turn out next time.

Anyways... the point of the event is the numbers... mine are:
    Stock run: RWHP = 452.4

RPi Intake Scoops and BMC Drop-in Filters run: RWHP = 469.0

I'm still waiting to get the formula from the TAM Engineering guys to calculate how much torque the car is putting down for each run, the Dyno Dynamics uses a funny way of measuring torque.

Thanks to TAM Engineering for having a great facility that we can use... and thanks to the people that showed up.

P.S. Somebody post pics and videos of the event please
    Last edited by petrolhead; 14-06-2008, 11:48 PM.
    ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

According to this sample calculation which I found on the E46fanatics forums to calculate torque from tractive effort:
    "assuming your Tractive effort was 1700
    Tire diameter (295/35/19) is 26.58 inches
    Differential gear ratio (final drive) is 3.53
    and the run on the 4th gear with a ratio of 1.271:1
    deivered engine torque = 1700 x (26.58 / 2 / 12) / (3.53 x 1.271)
    that's 419.6RWTQ"
    and numbers for the E60 M5 from this site

For my car:
    Tire diameter is (285/35/19) = 26.85"
    Differential gear ration (final drive) is 3.62
    run is in 5th gear with ratio 1.16:1
    So...
    Stock RWTQ = 1356 x (26.85/2/12)/(3.62x1.16) = 357.63 lb-ft
    RPi Scoops+BMC Filters RWTQ= 1436 x (26.85/2/12)/(3.62x1.16) = 378.73 lb-ft
    ...petrolhead

Comment

That's some nice numbers you got there Rami. Only 11% power loss due to drivetrain restrictions. It's usually around 15%.
      That's one healthy and powerful M5 !
      sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
      Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
      LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
      P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
      Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Big thanks for TAM Engineering.........

And Big thanks for Motaz and Moh Tarrifi for their great support and patience yesterday.

Dyno-ing a BMW was not that easy, although there were only 2 cars, but the guys at TAM tried there best and got the amazing numbers Rami's monster is producing.......

Big thanks for the 4 ppl who actually came and supported this BMW event....
        Rami ( The 470 RWHP monster)
        Thani ( Amazing looking 335i, one of the best in the country, and apparently its really fast DYNO-ED 283 RWHP )
        Nabil ( The Porsche that made TAM engineering ppl go diff, and then suffocate......but puting down 325.4 RWHP)
        Wazif ( Was there to watch and support and we really appreciate it mate....and u should've dyno-ed ur car)

And thanks for bruno and yousif for showing up :)

It was a great day and the ppl who missed it should start getting depressed since they missed such a great day......
        sigpic
        iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
        Falcons Garage
        Carbotech

Comment

nice write up bashar and rami.

well based on your mods rami... you gained and extra 3.669% hps and a 5.899% extra torque which is impressive indeed. if you let the ecu adapt properly by driving it for 200 miles you will get more gains... priceless.

Comment

from a technical point of view those numbers are 5-10% higher than what they should be :dunno: and the fact that there's no graph makes it harder to understand why..

good thing is that the before/after runs give a good indication of the proven gains that RPI scoops + filter give!
            over 10-15whp (for cheap money) on a high 100+ bhp/liter car is amazing! :drool:

now when's that exhaust coming rami :evil:

BMW history:
            07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
              nice write up bashar and rami.

well based on your mods rami... you gained and extra 3.669% hps and a 5.899% extra torque which is impressive indeed. if you let the ecu adapt properly by driving it for 200 miles you will get more gains... priceless.
              now stop using miles mr. american spec! :nono:

BMW history:
              07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Exhaust will be done maybe by end of the year... I'm waiting to see if there are any new exhausts coming out for the M5, otherwise it will be the Supersprint Race
                Last edited by petrolhead; 15-06-2008, 12:30 PM.
                ...petrolhead

Comment

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
                  now stop using miles mr. american spec! :nono:
                  i promise by next weekend i will be using kilos instead of miles ;)

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
                  Exhaust will be done maybe by end of the end... I'm waiting to see if there are any new exhausts coming out for the M5, otherwise it will be the Supersprint Race
                  lol what is end of the end?

Comment

I was going through the figures again… and trying to calculate the drivetrain loss on the dyno and here are the results:

The 335i (306BHP) ->
                    306-283=23
                    Drivetrain loss=(23/306)*100=7.5% usually 12%-18%

The M5 (500BHP) ->
                    Stock: 500-452.4=47.6
                    Drivetrain loss=47.6/500*100=9.52% usually 12%-18%

The Gt3 (360BHP) ->
                    360-325.4=34.6
                    Drivetrain loss=34.6/360=9.61% Usually unknown

please note that i'm not sure of the BHP figures of the porsche... and usual drivetrain loss is an estimate from general forums.

Comment

Based on my numbers
                      My car should be 507-452.4 = 54.6
                      Drivetrain loss = 54.6/507 x 100 = 10.77%
                      ...petrolhead

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                        i promise by next weekend i will be using kilos instead of miles ;)

lol what is end of the end?
                        I meant end of the year :banghead:
                        ...petrolhead

Comment

guys which 335i was thani's?? any photos?

2008 E92 335i Space Grey / Coral Red
                          Mods: Front Aero Lip | Hartge Rear Spoiler | JB+ Performance Chip | AA bov | AA full exhaust system | Air Scoops

www.moenajati.com

Comment

Guys please u all know for a fact that Dyno machines doesnt give u the exact amount of wheel hp....

Mustang Dynos will decrease ur actual wheel hp by alot.
                            Dyno Jet will increase ur Dyno figures alot.

Dyno Numbers r to only see how much is ur cars responding to modes....

Rami did the best thing. He waited and dyno-ed his car in stock form, and changed his filters and added scoops then dyno-ed again TO SEE THE ACTUALL GAINS.....

Now when ever rami does anything else to his car...he will take it to the same dyno to see and measure the increase in HP and TQ numbers.

Guys who r soooooo hooked up on how much power losses we have on our cars :)
                            guys it differese from a car to another....... a car with a weared out clutch (or torque converter in AUTOS) will have alot of power loss in the drive train....it all dependes on the state of the car.

A car that is not kept in its perfect condition will have the amount ur talking about..... but a car that is being constantly serviced, maintained, and moded will have less drive train losses.

Rami's and thani's cars r the example of the well maintained cars in perfect conditions (Mashalla).

Nabils Porsche is a monster with the engine hooked up in the very back ON THE WHEELS :) so for sure he wont be having alot of drive train issues.

But now u same guys will jump saying how come a prosche with a engine designed to be hooked to rear wheel directly have the same amount of losses as the big mighty M5.....

The porsche is a 2000 model with alot of track record....... the other cars r either 2006 or 2007 never been on the track more than once :wow:
                            sigpic
                            iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                            Falcons Garage
                            Carbotech

Comment

Plus Bruno ur car was on the same dyno......

u trapped around 250 reving ur engine just to 6500rpm....if it reved the extra 1000 it will be putting down around 265-275 which is the ideal case for a US spec M3 :)

A Euro Spec M3 is putting down between 276-280 depending on the condition of the car.... and the 335i is still keeping up with it in any race and might even walk away from it....

So a 335i to put 283 rwhp is totaly believeable and close to reality....

Ayham's M3 (White beast) was putting down around 300-305 rwhp...but when Moh Bashar raced yousif that day he either was by his side or walked away from him...... So using ur comon sense ull be able to figure out that a car with slightly less rwhp (around 283) and less weight will walk away from an E46 M3..... So the numbers is closest to realitly :)

a 15-20% losses in drive train is found in heavely modified cars....... with there clutch slipping trying to coup with the amount of power, and the differential trying to send all it can to the rear wheels :)
                              sigpic
                              iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                              Falcons Garage
                              Carbotech

Comment

Working...
                              X