Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i know i need a valve adjustment??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys (and gals?!) ...figured i'd give wise-man Bruno and his e-mail inbox a break and post this up on site, get into the spirit of things ya know :grouphug:

Ok so the valve's being 'out' doesn't affect performance. Maybe i just have a slow M3... I've yet to compare under bonnet sounds with other M3's (volunteers?)

Are there any tell tale sounds or signs that it needs doing?

She's done over 140k now and i've read all over the place that the valve adjustment needs to be done as part of the inspections. I didn't get much history with the car so i don't know if it was done on the inspection I or not. I've checked the receipt for the inspection II i had done in feb, and there's no gaskets on the parts list so i guess it wasn't done. I have noticed a ticking, but could this be the fuel injectors? I've heard they're quite noisy on the s54.

It's down at *** at the mo for a fair bit of work (currently driving a redline rental 1.4 polo :cry: ) so i'm thinking of having it done at the same time. Obviously i'll suggest it to them, just wanted to get some feedback from forum members...... Thanks

Valve clearance adjustment should be done on our M cars every 60k (kms) and you would know when you hear a very loud ticking noise coming from the head of your engine. This will effect the performance of your car since the valves wont be openning as they should be being out of spec :)

Injectors do not produce such loud ticking noise while operating..... if the ticking is loud comapring to other M3 then its time to adjust :)
    sigpic
    iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
    Falcons Garage
    Carbotech

Comment

As i was told exactly:

In the morning when the car is cold, start it and pop the hood and listen. When the car is cold usually it ticks more and you can clearly distinguish whether u need to do it or not.
      Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
      Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
      Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
      Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
      1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
      Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
      eMail:
      Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

my car is down at *** just did the VA... i didn't have ticking noises, i just did it for the sake of doing it :)

if you want compare my engine noise with yours since both cars are there now

Comment

Sound advise guys :thanks2:

She is a little slower than i think she should be, and i've listened to her on a cold start in the morning and it does have a 'slight' ticking as i said. Wasn't sure if that was normal though. She actually has a little splutter in the mornings sometimes! Clears up after a couple of mins driving though. Think i'll definitely be getting it done while she's in.

Comment

Ticking noise is normal in our cars mate. since we have solid lifter rather than the convensional hydraulic ones. But excessive ticking noise direct you to a Valve Adjustment. I'd say do it anyway since your car is hitting the 140k and there is no record to show if it has been done before....

Bruno your the man mate
            sigpic
            iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
            Falcons Garage
            Carbotech

Comment

:iagree:

Comment

Hi All, any advise on how much it would cost?
                sigpic
                Current : F30 335 Alpine white

Comment

around 1500 AED !! maybe bit less
                  Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                  Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                  Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                  Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                  1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                  Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                  eMail:
                  Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by aeon View Post
                    how often do you pee yourself?

:joking:

sorry i couldn't help it :rofl: i hope you won't hate me for that :please:

BMW history:
                    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

It'd cost around AED1,200.

Since it hasn't been done before (no records) then do it. Keeping the valves out of alignment means you're risking bending them and then it's an OUCH repair job.

I did mine and to be honest the sound is still there, but according to Shak from *** there was one of the shims off by 5mm!!!!! I was lucky I didn't drive an extra mile without the adjustment. When I asked him about the noise still there he said not to worry about it at all. It can be solved by buying a new set of shims but he said mine currently there are perfectly aligned and it'd money down the drain.

The noise doesn't bother me as long as I know it's not something out of shape...

Comment

Any advise where can we do the valve adjustment?

Comment

x service in alqouz

Comment

Working...
                          X