Reasons to have Run-flat tires on your BMW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons to have Run-flat tires on your BMW

Let me start first by saying that this a “touchy” subject and it has been debated over and over again. While there are many people that love the run-flat tires on their BMWs, there are plenty of others that are absolutely against them and consider the normal tires as being a better choice for their cars.

BMW aims to provide our customers with a premium product that provides ultimate safety with optimum performance and it is always a concern to receive feedback of this nature.

We chose to include Run-flat technology on our vehicles for the following reasons:

* It is dangerous to stop on any road to change a tyre, especially on a motorway or at night.
    * There is no need to have to wait for a breakdown service to arrive.
    * Safety and security of the driver and passenger(s) is maintained.
    * Alloy wheels are difficult to detach from steel hubs.
    * On most cars the spare is under the contents of the boot, and uses boot space.
    * It can be tricky to line up the wheel bolt holes with the hub screw holes and match the thread.
    * The dirty punctured tyre needs to be removed and stored in the boot.
    * Another puncture before the punctured tyre is mended means one is stranded.
    * A driver can continue for 150 miles at 50mph with a punctured Run-flat tyre.

All of our vehicles that use Run-flat technology have their suspension and braking components set up to accommodate Run-flat tyres. Should you decide to change to non Run-flats, it may alter the driving and handling characteristics of your vehicle. It is for this reason that this modification is not recommended by BMW as a manufacturer.

However, it is possible to have standard tyres fitted. You will additionally need to purchase either a spare wheel with jack and brace set or a mobility kit which can be ordered from the Parts Department of your nearest BMW Approved Dealership.
    Reasons to have regular tires on your BMW

One of the advantages of run-flat tires is the ability to drive 150 miles on them at 50 miles an hour. One might argue how convenient this solution really is especially if you’re out of town on a trip and desperately looking for a repair show. Having a run-flat go bad could cause further problems, especially finding a shop that can handle mounting these tires within 150 miles and having a suitable replacement tire in stock.

With the full-size spares BMW used to offer, getting a flat was a 25-minute pause, after which you could go on with your trip. On top of this, you could drive at full speed, with unlimited mileage and worry about the flat when you reach the final destination.

Here are some disadvantages of using run-flat tires, cons that turn into pros of using a regular tire:

1. The run-flat tires (RFT) can usually not be repaired in the case of a puncture, so instead of a simple puncture costing $20, you’ve got to replace the whole tire.
    2. RFTs can malfunction, defeating their intended purpose to begin with, or be damaged in such a way that getting the typical 150mi@50mph is no longer possible.
    3. Run-flats are more expensive to buy, more expensive to install and offer poorer performance.
    4. Lifespan is half of that of normal (even with regular monitor of pressures).
    5. Costs 50% more than normal tires on average.
    6. The ride is more uncomfortable, especially if you have 17″ upwards.
    7. Increase the running costs of ownership. Normally a tire lasts you a good average of 50,000 miles (80,000 km).
    8. Not all tire shops have RFT
    9. Unpleasant ownership as you always have to worry about getting a puncture and always hoping that the warning does not appear.

As an ending statement, what customers really want is:

1. To be given the option between a run-flat tire or regular
    2. Have a more attractive and durable run-flat tire product (longer life span, be able to repair punctures)
    3. Replacing your standard run-flats with regular tires should be allowed by the computer system without setting off the barrage of warnings that are currently associated with running non-RFTs on RFT-equipped cars.
    4. Including a full-size spare in ALL new cars (RFTs and non-RFTs), so people with RFTs have the option to make the swap in case they are not near home.

that's how i'll put it:

RFT are for girls
    Regular Tires are for guys

:)

BMW history:
    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

^^ Pretty much it...

At Pirelli tire shop I saw that they have special tools for balancing and mounting RFTs.

Comment

They forgot to mention one very important thing... handling and track use, which is in a way why we buy BMWs in the first place... the above reasoning given is for people who don't know what they are driving and think they are just regular cars with a nice badge upfront
        ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Does anyone here actually repair their tyres? I don't even like to think about backstreet work on such a vital component.

Comment

I believe I had 4 punctures on the E46 M3 since I bought it. Everytime I took it to a tyre shop and was done in an hour. I'd still do it over running RFTs.

Comment

Working...
            X