Frankenauto V10-S85 E30 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frankenauto V10-S85 E30 M3

Photo of finished engine install prior to removal for body work and paint - plus the view from the rear -

ECu duties are handled by a Pectel ECU with programmable traction control, ABS from BMW motosports, power distribution handled by a PCU

By the way - I'm a huge M5 fan - I have three M5 V10's - just different cars to go with them

We picked up two V10's come straight from BMW (we blew up the first one - these project take commitment) the entire car was built with new parts - hence some of the parts tags still hanging on the lower control arms in the rear picture.

It's cheesy - but we never weighed the existing hardware - I never even drove the car - the orginal owner drove it to the shop, and we just threw everything in the dumpster and sold the drivetrain on e-bay.

The new M5 I think runs about 53/47 (according to the BMW TIS website) - our car has the same weight distribution, albeit with a shorter wheel base. However, we dimensioned the cradle locations directly off the Hartge H50 we have (which uses the M5 motor in the E90 325 chassis) - and we got pretty close.

Our car wiehgs in about 2800 - with the standalone and no cats (sorry greenies) and a fairly modest tune - we expect about 465 a the rear wheel - we'll do a race fuel map as well since the maps (as well as the traction control) are fully adjustable with a rotary switch next to the e-brake -

the entire firewall, and most of all the other sheet metal had to be removed once -

pi research data acquisition unit goes into a complete machined metal dash

We can barely manage on our side of the atlantic - but here is our tail - by the way the car is fully operational and very drivable -

throttles are dual E46 M3 units calibrated to the M5 pedal and then run using a "matching" program on the pectel - for faults we check each motor shaft position against throttle shaft position (read by the M5 shaft hall sensor) during operation - there are some issues with this since the pectel is extermely precise, and the shafts always have some slop in them -

digital IAC units ar removed and a Bosch unit substituted which slits air during idel to each bank -

Vanos is pretty easy to control using the pectel - which control vanos operation by duty cycle input - i would recommend retianing the vanos system since the power characteristic of the engine is significnatly altered by "locking" the system -

oil level and temp were done by sending the stock unit to Gil Sensors in england who made a new unit for us so we would not have to deal with the digital stock unit -

some other stories along the way - but all that has yeilded a supremely streetable engine with all fo the factory power plus a little

No car to see right now - but body should be back next week, and than about two weeks to reassemble (have to take our time with the whole car in final paint) - I attached a photo of what the chassis looks like on the chassis jig - the car was built right from this square table - the body is simply lifted off the rotisserie and set straight down on the subframe locator pegs -

If I need to service the car at home - the engine/front cradle assembly can sit on a small frame, and the rest of the car lifted straight up - pretty much how the factory assembles them now

I'll shoot some photos in mid february with the car together - then it goes off for about 4 weeks to get the full interior fitted

Our goal was to build a stand alone engine managment system that was virtually transparnt in operation from the factory car - we'll see how close we get at the end of February. Good luck with your venture as well and send some picks as you get close.

If we get the mangement system where we like it, and have adequate knock control, we'll be slamming two turbos into the Hartge H50 next

For interior by March 1 - we have full dash, console, shifter in the correct location - as opposed to half way to the back seat (that took a little work) - new complete door panels, sparco seats recovered and dyed for a plainer look - looking for a complete "finished" interior look with full carpet,headliner, etc. We're thinking might try Ai Design in NY - its hard to find good interior builders can that can panelize from scratch
    I attached some pictures of how the airbox was fabricated - the challenge was building big static air volume while keeping it all under the stock E30 hood - plus we wanted internal airhorns to smooth the flow -

resulting airbox/filter housing combo delivers same HP as bare airhorns - and fits under the E30 hood without modifications

The hood (albeit in carbon fiber to reduce nose weight) is stock without vents - the airboxes take in fresh air just below the headlights - there is a void just above and behind the front bumper cover that should provide the high pressure push (or at least that's what we'll tell everyone)

you can see the intake below the lights in the attached pic.

This is the interior filter housing detail - all engine air comes from up front, so the charge is fairly cool, although all that metal tends to retain too much heat. we thought of having the boxes done in carbon

It's really slow when you actually have to be careful not to mess up the paint -

we'll slam the front and rear bumpers on Tuesday and see how it looks - but the body really came out well - piper's genius on the body work really shows after its cleaned up and painted

I'm just the picture poster - Mitch Piper at Piper Motorsport is the skilled geniues behind all this -

Apex Speed Technology has done the wiring and ECU programming, although the initial vanos, timing and fuel maps came from Pectel and KMS Race Engines -

the amount of fabrication work necessaryto get the car looking "factory" was sick - but that was our goal -

I'm changing the oil line between the block/pan and filter housing on the H50 Hartge - it developed a leak - so it wil be a few weeks until that's on the road - bit of a chore since one line connects behind the a/c compressor bracket - and we're spending most of our time putting the franken bmw back together to get ready for the final tuning

Finished engine bay look

We actually used all industrial plating processes on the metal parts - no powder coat or paint - the airbox, dash, filter box covers are military spec. hard coat anodized - very dull flat finish - but the finish is super tough - you cannot scratch it with a screwdriver - I've never worked with it before - but it actually penetrates about a 1/2 mm into the surface -

as you can guess - we went for all function, very plain on form

we used am industrial coating shop that does military and aviation stuff. the hard coat anodizing seems to be very tough, but its a very industrial looking finish with almost no color choices. its also very hard, and you have to cover all threaded areas or you can't get the stuff back together again - but you literally can run a screw driver across the surface with about 5-7 lbs. pressure and still show a black finish -
    H50 is well - one of the oil lines to the filter housing is leaking - an easy fix but as you can guess it terminates behind the A/C compressor housing - so it's time consuming to get to - I've been too lazy to remove; with all the late nights we're having with the E30. when the E30 goes in for the interior in about 2 weeks or so - I'll take the time to fix the oil line -

I just e-mailed Jorg the other day about a power steering issue on the H50 -

it looks like we have knock control (albeit with a Pectel system), a good vanos program, full drive-by-wire (that's about 50+ channels to monitor), oil level, oil temp, scavange pumps, vanos pressure accumulator, IAC, fan control, ABS, traction, an complete car harnesses etc. working - 95% of it running through an Ole Buhl Racing PCU

Final Product

Souce: M5BOARD
    Last edited by SSense; 27-07-2009, 04:17 PM.

speechless!
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Lovely, :drool::drool: !
      sigpic
      07' HFP Accord | Current
      HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

The smallest details like the Alcantara roof also have been well taken care :drool:

Damn ! This is Insane !

Comment

No, This is perfect ! :drool:
          sigpic
          07' HFP Accord | Current
          HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

Comment

Interesting White E36 back there ! :dangerous:
            sigpic
            07' HFP Accord | Current

Comment

WOW... my GOD that thing is beautiful and every petrolheads dream!!!
              sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

When I own my own BMW shop, I'll be doing just that sorta things!

This project is not easy by any means, even reading the brief above gives me a headache! The ton of things they had to solve tells me how resourceful they are, even when they outsource!

Now let's scavange for videos!!!!

Comment

WOW.....speechless

Comment

normally i dont like to write " OMG ", " very nice " , or things like those

but this time i have to write something

shame on you lucky ......

drooling with jealousy

Comment

Ayham hurry up and open that shop!

I want a project like this!
                      Meskovic
                      this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Holy Crap !!! .... I want one !
                        Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                        Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                        Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                        Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                        1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                        eMail:
                        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
                          Ayham hurry up and open that shop!

I want a project like this!
                          +1000000

I Have nothing to say ... :drool: Sex on wheels !
                          sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
                          E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
                          E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
                          E23 735i - Sold

Comment

'13 F10 ///M5 6MT Alpine White
                            '06 E63 ///M6 SMG Silverstone
                            '95 E36 2JZ Swap Gray - Drift
                            '92 E36 325i Black
                            History:
                            '08 E92 ///M3 6MT Silverstone
                            '06 E60 ///M5 SMG Alpine White
                            '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg
                            '98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue

Comment

The new M5 I think runs about 53/47 (according to the BMW TIS website) - our car has the same weight distribution
                              This part is a whole project by itself !

simply WoW

'07 650i Stratus Grey/Cream beige

Comment

Working...
                              X