• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie in Dubai need advise

Dear BMW owners,

My name is Judhi, 38, father of two.

My current ride is not a BMW - yet.
    Please don't laugh but in fact I've never own nor drive one before.

I just landed in Dubai 3 months back from Singapore, a place where a 2008 Ford Focus hatchback cost AED125,000. And cars there only allowed to be used for 10 years. So you can guess how much is the cheapest BMW there :)

It's one of my dreams to own a BMW but was haunted with the initial price and the maintenance cost. Now that Dubai gives me this opportunity, I am considering to get a second hand X5 (2001-2004 based on my budget).

I have done some research on the Net but unfortunately most of the reviews, advises and stories coming from either US or European countries.

By joining this forum I hope to find relevant advises and better ideas from your experiences in owning BMW especially X5 in the UAE.

Thank you in advanced!

Kind Regards,
    Judhi

Welcome to the club Judhi! :)

I am sure the expertise and network within this group will help you find what you are looking for.

In the meantime you can post your requirement in our BMW cars buy/sell section.

Hope you enjoy your stay here in UAE!
    ________
    Expert insurance
    Last edited by Wazif; 18-04-2011, 07:44 AM.
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Welcome Judhi... i hope that ppl here will be able to help u :D

2008 E92 335i Space Grey / Coral Red
      Mods: Front Aero Lip | Hartge Rear Spoiler | JB+ Performance Chip | AA bov | AA full exhaust system | Air Scoops

www.moenajati.com

Comment

Welcome to our club Judhi :) ... Goodluck with finding a clean X5 :D ...
        Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
        Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
        Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
        Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
        1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
        eMail:
        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

:welcome2: aboard
          ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Hi Judhi and welcome to the forum

There are some excellent local magazines here in Dubai, if you buy one of the more “glossy” mag’s then contact them regarding any X5 reviews they might be able to help.
            I’ve seen reviews on the X5 relevant to the region here so they do exist, contact the editor etc of the mag’s and they may offer a back issue for sale.

The 2007 X5 is more of a “tarmac muncher” than a “sand dune basher” according to the review I read, and Top Gear done a review on the X5 and confirmed it is a very competent off road machine, unlike the X3 which apparently is crap off road!!

I hope this helps mate.
            2009 45th Anniversary Mustang GT / Black / Stock

As the Pope once told meNil Illigitimate Desperandum et phillius coumdon

Comment

Wow, thank you all for the quick reply!
              I can feel the warm welcome and friendly environment here.

I have read some local magazines as well as reading reviews on www.drivearabia.com, they do give relevant information to some extend.

However, nothing more valuable than getting tips and advises from trustworthy friends here who have real life-day to day hands on experience on their ride.

For example, it's been a challenge to find out how much the realistic cost of maintenance for 5 years old X5 with over 100,000km mileage. Certainly it varies depends on the initial condition of the car. But usually there's a common parts change needed or put on watch list after certain age of use under UAE sun.

This US based site can help to predict BMW maintenance cost (and other makes as well) but I am not sure how relevant is that to UAE/Dubai http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/MaintenanceServlet

I also have found a great FAQ site on X5 problems compiled by Karl Pfleger in the US. Check this out: http://ksl.stanford.edu/people/kpfle..._problems.html

Cheers!
              Judhi

Comment

Judhi WELCOME!!! its so nice to see the BMW owners here!!!
                Audi TT (2009)
                Infiniti G35 (2008)
                Evo 8- Sold

Dont know what you have until you lose it

Comment

Welcome Sir, And hope the more experienced members can help you with your purchase! :)
                  Cheers!
                  H
                  2008 325i coupe
                  Stock

Comment

i have many friends in singapore and i'm part singaporean lah. glad to use the lah again. anyway good luck here my friend :)
                    Nissan Cefiro A31

Comment

Welcome to the Club Judhi, I see youve done you share of research. Well done !

The common problems sight sums it up nicely, and I see what you mean about no exactly relevent to the U.A.E. and it's weather .

But, never the less. When you get to test drive an X5, from a showroom or a private seller, get it tested by a trusted garage and NOT just the showroom appointed shops.

Again, welcome to the Club. You'll find plenty of info to add to yours !
                      sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                      Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                      LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                      P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                      Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Thanks again All!

Originally posted by ernest View Post
                        i have many friends in singapore and i'm part singaporean lah. glad to use the lah again. anyway good luck here my friend :)
                        Great! I am originally from Indonesia but after settled down in Singapore for almost 10 years certainly I got the 'lah' accent too lah :)

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
                        But, never the less. When you get to test drive an X5, from a showroom or a private seller, get it tested by a trusted garage and NOT just the showroom appointed shops.
                        That's the catch, "trusted garage" can be a separate discussion subject by itself :) I have read about Tony Edwards, X-Service, Fast Track, Falcons garage, and many others. Here's one of my finding about them http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=164035

Hope here we can read your experience with your trusted garage as well :D

Comment

Welcome Aboard Judhi.:welcome2:

Hope that you will get the best advices over our great community.:o

Why don't you post your requirements in the BMW buy/sell forum ? :D .... Better chances there. :)

Enjoy your stay in the BMW Club UAE.:wiggle:
                          sigpic
                          07' HFP Accord | Current
                          HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Welcome Judhi,

Reagarding the X5 ull find a wide range of prices, options, engine capacity, and conditions.

a 2001-2004 X5 would set u back approx. 100-160K dhs depending on the above...... ^^^

An X5 (as BlackBetty said) is a great street use SUV, and would do quit good off-roading.

My advice to u is to make up your mind on which engine u want (3.0,4.4,4.6is,4.8is) and what options u wanna go for, and lets take it from there.

A trust worthy garage to check up ur car + maintenance, i have to say X-service center...... Really experianced folks.

Lets get back to the X5...

A general service must be done when u get it:

1. Engine oil + Filter
                            2. Spark plugs
                            3. Brakes + rotors
                            4. Check ur cooling system (FAN CLUTCH, THERMOSTAT, WATER PUMP) since we r having a cool summer :bricks:
                            5. Fuel filter (if not changed before)
                            6. Air filter

And i assure u that the car will run problem free all summer time (IF THE CAR WAS IN GOOD CONDITION IN THE FIRST PLACE)

As a BMW enthusiast and the BMW Club Tech. manager the running cost is a bit high, but still worth it :rofl:

Hope that i was a help, and if u have any other concerns ill be glade to help u out.

Again Welcome to our club :)
                            sigpic
                            iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
                            Falcons Garage
                            Carbotech

Comment

:hi:

welcome to the club!

good luck finding a nice & clean X5!

i know a friend who's got a 2001 4.4i :) will let u know if he plans to sell it!

BMW history:
                              07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Working...
                              X