Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission question

hi guys,
    Is the transmission model mentioned anywhere on the body itself???
    The chassis number when entered provides the following information about the vehicle.... model 1999 prod 12/1998 E46 323i Sedan M52 Europe Left hand drive N Prod code AM31. Its a japan import by the way. The two possible transmission types could be A5S325Z OR A5S360R / 390R, though another website gives the first model as the transmission type.
    Secondly, any idea about the transmission oil to be used as I was planning on changing it, since i recently bought the car.
    Third question, would the same oil be used in the differential? as on slow u-turns there is a slight rubbing kind of noise.
    Thanks in advance.
    cheers

If you could clarify what E46 you're driving. From the possible transmission model numbers you've provided I'm guessing it's an automatic.

If it's an auto, then you should use ATF DexronIII or higher automatic transmission fluid.

Concerning the differential and the noise you claim, it sounds like your car is equipped with an LSD. If it is, and it's a BMW unit, then it should take 90W LSD differential fluid. Something like Motul 90PA. But, I am not 100% sure on that. If it's an open unit, then 85W90 should do the trick.

Before you try anything, give us some details about that car and you should be getting feedback.
    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Thnx for the reply. It's an automatic transmission with steptronic or watever it's called. I checked with Abu dhabi motors yesterday, they said they have the oil based on chassis no. But the guy wasn't able to give me any specs for the oil. Any place else from where u can get the oil other than the agency? And the first question remains. Is the transmission model written on the body somewhere.
      Thnx

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
        If you could clarify what E46 you're driving. From the possible transmission model numbers you've provided I'm guessing it's an automatic.

If it's an auto, then you should use ATF DexronIII or higher automatic transmission fluid.

Concerning the differential and the noise you claim, it sounds like your car is equipped with an LSD. If it is, and it's a BMW unit, then it should take 90W LSD differential fluid. Something like Motul 90PA. But, I am not 100% sure on that. If it's an open unit, then 85W90 should do the trick.

Before you try anything, give us some details about that car and you should be getting feedback.
        Daem! this guy is good.
        sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

but still there isn't too much information... we are basically guessing what car you have.

can you please post your VIN number's last 7 digits to simplify this on everyone.

Comment

It's JE93909

Comment

I'm relying on realoem.com for this information. Since your cars build date is 12/98 then it should be supplied with the A5S 360R - SX gearbox. Japanese market cars have almost identical parts to Euro/Gulf cars with just part number differences.

As far as the model number on the gearbox BMW/Getrag/ZF have them cast with the gearbox housing on their MANUAL gearboxes. Not very sure on the automatics. Go to a gas station, put the car on the jack or park it in the oil service bay and have a looksee under there.
              Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims

Comment

A5S 360R - SX is your correct gear type. but it's better to confirm by either looking at the gear casting or having it checked through a diognostic tool. the reason is that sometimes people in dubai do swap them to other models and the best way to find out is to have it checked properly.

Comment

crap you were quciker and with almost the same answer

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                    crap you were quciker and with almost the same answer
                    :trophy:

Nahh, just kidding!

Comment

Thnx Bruno n sewersideup. Really appreciated.
                      Will definitely check it. So if it is A5S 360R SX would the oil be the same as sewersideup suggested earlier. Any idea from where u can get the oil in Dubai or preferrably in Abu dhabi

Comment

Whichever model it is, ATF III should work. But, I still suggest you take a looksee under the car. There's a label that states what oil is to be used as well.

You're welcome and goodluck! Keep us posted.

Comment

The only number etched on the gearbox is GM 960 20825

Comment

That looks like a US spec gear box.
                            sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Originally posted by sidd323 View Post
                              The only number etched on the gearbox is GM 960 20825
                              Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
                              That looks like a US spec gear box.
                              Back in the days of the E30, ZF made both the automatic and manual gearboxes, but with the E36 and E46 they only made the manuals. Now, for some untold reason BMW sadly outsourced the automatics to non other than GM. Hence why E36's and E46's keep blowing gearboxes, get stuck in gear and have slippage problems. Cheap gearboxes!! The old ZF units on the E30 were bulletproof!
                              They did correct it with the E90 though, if my information is correct they're back with ZF.

Comment

Working...
                              X