Diff jerks E39 M5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diff jerks E39 M5

Dear All, can any one advise me on the diff problem.
    When ever i am driving the car especially when launching in 1st gear and then in the 2nd and 3rd gear if i let go of the clutch too soon or press hard on the gas then there is a jerk and a sound coming from drive shaft. as if it is hitting a wall then rebounding to the opposite wall.
    I though its the transmission mount but its not so. Now i think its the diff bushes/bushings(whatever they are called)..
    anyone had a similar problem..?
    please let me know..
    E39///M5 (Carbon Black)
    E39///M kit 530i (Le Mans Blue)
    sigpic

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.509 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Its probably you guibo... Its really hard to get what is wrong from ur description.

Comment

i dunno how to explain to you but if i am a bit quick with letting go the clutch then it seems that the drive shaft hits some thing at the rear end. i showed it to a guy who works for my friend (mainly on BMWs). After checking all the mounts for tranmission and shafts he thinks its something else.
      He thinks its the differential bushings....where the input shaft is connected in the diff...
      so there is a room for play.....
      E39///M5 (Carbon Black)
      sigpic

Comment

as bruno said..its guibo....its the flexible joint which include 5 or 6 bolts connected the driveshaft with differential....

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
        E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9500/5.0.0.841 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/124)

Yeah! I think its more commonly known as the universal joint. I think I have the same problem. Only not so severe.
          sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9500/5.0.0.841 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/124)

I suggest you bring the car to Das for a check. I shall check with Ayham when I can bring mine in.
            sigpic

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

Correction: Guibo connects the two half shafts of the drive shaft

Comment

Cant really tell what it is, it could be the drive shaft, diff, guibo, bushings, or anything else.. Get it sorted soon before it gets any serious..

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                  Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

Correction: Guibo connects the two half shafts of the drive shaft
                  you r right president, thanx for the correction :)

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                  E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

I think the connection between the drive shaft and the differential on car is loose.

Everytime I start off from a stand still, I can feel a slight bang in the differential as if it was loose.
                    sigpic

Comment

Centre Bearing on prop shaft or front propshaft coupling !
                      common issue's

Comment

Just got it all sorted.....

The whole story is that the diff was leaking oil, but i didn't notice it as it will not drip when parked. The oil was only leaking while driving, so it kind of contaminated the area where the prop shaft is connecting to the diff.

Apparently there are some rubber coated (steel/alum) bushes/coupling and due to Oil contamination the rubber kind of came out giving the shaft room or making it loose.

But in order to get to that and keeping rear suspension attached to car we loosened the diff and got the new bushes inserted while diff being attached to the car. (dont ask me how) the guy had done it.

But any ways as the brakes needed to be removed so just getting all the stuff back. after bleeding the rear brakes we will take it for a test.
                        and need to seal the diff back and ofcourse new diff oil.

Will keep u guys posted.
                        E39///M5 (Carbon Black)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shak "X" View Post
                          Centre Bearing on prop shaft or front propshaft coupling !
                          common issue's
                          I believe u r very right Shak "X"... will keep u posted..
                          Last edited by salmankk; 27-09-2010, 01:14 PM.
                          E39///M5 (Carbon Black)
                          sigpic

Comment

I had this problem in my E39 M5, turned out to be a broken DIff Housing! I never got the mount bushings checked and the housing just gave up!

5000 dirhams later, all was fine!

Comment

had this problem 3 times this mounth :(
                              its the senter bering (Guibo) + also could be the rubber shaft
                              first dont drive it it will only bend the drive shaft (drive it once gust to take it to a garage)
                              second if you keep driving it it will be worst every time

for me a learned the hard way 2 drive shafts are gone :D

E36 1996 325 coupe MT + supercharged RIP
                              E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech + Bolt On's CURRENT
                              E30 1989 325 M50 Mtech coupe MT + RIP
                              E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech coupe AT SOLD
                              E30 1991 325 low 4door AT SOLD
                              E30 1988 320 ac schnitzer 4door AT RIP
                              E36 1992 325 M50nv MT DRIFT/RACE CAR CURRENT
                              E34 1991 525 ac schnitzer Daily CURRENT

Comment

Working...
                              X