Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continental ContiSport Contact 5

Hi guys,

I wonder of i can get your advice on something please?

On the 9th February, i needed new tyres for the E46 vert M3, so i went a round a few tyre dealers. Most dealers didn't have stock of the 255/45/19's that i needed until i came across Millenium Tyre Tuning on al Quoz. The have a nice workshop there and the said that they could get a quick delivery (the same day) of the ContiSport Contact 5 tyre straight from Continental. However, they said that they couldn't get the 255/45/19's that i currently had fitted, but instead they would fit 255/35/19's and assured me there would be no problem. Sure enough, the tyre arrived all wrapped up, and they were all manufactured in 2010. I paid 1700aed each including balancing and alignment.

Since i drove away that day, i have not been happy with the tyres. The car has felt very underpowered and in corners (even at low speeds) the tyres give me no sensation of grip at all. On my old M3 coupe, i had Hankook S1 Evo Summer tyres fitted, and they were excellent. Now, i know that because i now drive a convertible, the performance and handling is going to be "weaker" than in my coupe. But honestly, the car feels awful, nothing like an M3 should feel. It's felt so sloppy and the performance has been so poor...i have always thought the tyres were the problem. Both from a standing start and in the corners, the rear tyres have felt like they are slipping. When pulling away in 1st gear, and sometimes in 2nd gear, the acceleration isn't smooth...instead the car stutters, and it feel like the tyres are slipping. Note that i only ever use the car for "normal driving". I certainly don't race the car or drive aggressively.

Anyway, in the past week or so i had noticed some vibration in the steering wheel so took the car back to Millenium to get the balancing checked. Sure enough, the front tyres were out of balance so they redid the balancing. However, when they removed the rear tyres, the tread was all but gone. There's probably 2-3mm left. That's after 5 months of driving, probably 6000-8000kms. The front tryes still look pretty much like brand new. I am now in dispute with Millenium Tyres. They said things like "they're sports tyres, that's what happens" and "it's an M3, the car will wear the tyres quickly". But that's not right, is it? I understand that my rears will wear faster than the fronts, but not to the point where the need replacing after 5 months. The Hankooks i had previously on my coupe had done 20,000kms+ when i sold the car and they were still in excellent condition.

So what might be going on here?

- faulty tyres?
    - does the fact that i am fitted with 35/19's rather than 45/19's matter? They said at the time that this would be no problem at all.
    - has anyone else ever run these tyres? What was your experience?
    - should i see more tyre wear on a convertible than a coupe?

Any help you can offer would be appreciated because now i will no doubt have to argue with Millenium to get any money back or some new tyres fitted for free. I think the will wash their hands of it and tell me it's my fault, it's the car, it's the way i drive etc. What should i do now? Take it to X or BMW to get a 2nd opinion? I don't feel like i should have to do that...after all, Millenuim are tyre fitters, and the KNOW the wear isn't right or normal. But, of course, they won't take responsibility.

Thanks all. I hope everyone is well and enjoying the joy of BMW!
    Last edited by the eldest boy; 11-07-2011, 11:59 AM.
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

This looks like an issue with alignment.....i maybe wrong though!

Are you sure they did they alignment as per the specs of the car? M3 wheel alignment is a bit tricky!
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

i think you have all your tire sizes wrong...

these are the correct sizes:

Stock 18" tires are 225/45/18 Front and 255/40/18 Rear and 225/40/19 Front and 255/35/19 Rear with optional 19" wheels.

get those right then we can look into other aspects.

i bet that your RTABs and subframe mounts are messed up, that's the case with 110% of vert e46 m3s.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Wazif, they did a laser alingment when they fitted the tyres, so i can only assume that they did it correctly. And the wear on teh rear tyres is even across the whole tyre.

Bruno mate, what are RTABs? Is it a simple job to get the RTABs and subframe looked at? And why might that be causing the tyres to wear?

I still intend to push Millenium to get a refund or new tyres, but if there is also a problem with the car it obviously needs to be looked at too.

Cheers!
        theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
        Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
        Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
        Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Comment

I think you need to talk to any other deals of Continental Tyres if they can help you with the issue. According to me, Continental ContiSport Contact 5 is excellent tyre with very good grip in the wet or dry, even when worn down to the last couple of mm. See if you can get in touch with any other dealer in your location which can let you know the exact reason.

Comment

Working...
          X