Run flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run flats

I don't own a BMW but I'm just curious. I'm like one of those guys who likes to know about cars without really owning one yet. ;)

Anyway coming to my question, are Run flat as bad as the world makes them seem like i.e they supposedly don't provide the same amount of comfort/handling like normal tires would on the same BMW model.

If yes then what do you all do, i.e swap them for normal tires or just make a compromise and keep the run flats on.

Also if your car comes with run flats, is a spare tire provided?? If not then is a spare tire bought when shifting to normal tires and where is that spare tire placed??

Too many questions I suppose but curiosity always gets to me!!

I hope this belongs in this sections, if not, can a mod move it. Thanks
    Photographer
    My Website

Ive had run flats on my car and i guess all M cars come with run flats, have no issues with the ride until now, its a sports car and gives me the sports feel when i drive, thats all matters.. Thats why i never thought of swapping them to regular tires.

If a car is equipped with run flats it never comes with a spare tire, because one reason of having a run flat tires is to get rid of the weight of the spare tire.

You may also want to read the difference between run flats and regular tires, check the link below:

Run Flat Vs Regular Tires
    Last edited by SSense; 17-08-2009, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
      You may also want to read the difference between run flats and regular tires, check the link below:

Run Flats Vs Regular Tires
      link is not working :)

Comment

To add more, you might think why some cars come with run flats and not regular tires, the answer to this is because front and rear wheels are different in width/size, so a single spare tire will not help any situation.
        Another reason is because M5s come with a huge battery, which itself takes the space of the spare tire under the cover in the boot lid .

Hence instead of a spare tire the M cars with no spare tires come with a kit called the M Mobility kit, (size of a large cereal box that plugs into the cigarette lighter), which helps when there is a flat tire to dispense the defected tire and helps you reach a near location at slow speed to get the tire fixed.

If that doesnt 100% help then you can choose the BMW Road Assistance !

Hope it makes sense now :)

Comment

Originally posted by akanso View Post
          link is not working :)
          Fixed the link, try now :)

Comment

Fixed the link, try now :)
            thanx Ssense

Comment

Thanks for the information.....
              Photographer
              My Website

Comment

My car is running on a RFT's, I'm planning to change them sometime after Ramadan.
                Do u advise me to keep them or to change them by regular ones.
                If i do change them with regulars, is there any after installing setup required for the system, and can it be done outside the dealer doors?

Seductive Dream...Upcoming
                Current: BMW530i E60 2004, Monaco Blue.

Comment

Ive had run flats on my car and i guess all M cars come with run flats, have no issues with the ride until now, its a sports car and gives me the sports feel when i drive, thats all matters.. Thats why i never thought of swapping them to regular tires.

If a car is equipped with run flats it never comes with a spare tire, because one reason of having a run flat tires is to get rid of the weight of the spare tire.

Run Flat Vs Regular Tires
                  This is why you MUST start doing some motorsports bro..RFTs are handling worst enemies. A few pointers and comparos on the track and you'll be running to change them to non RFTs, guaranteed! The RFT is neither comfortable (bumpy) nor gripping!! It's not exactly a success story.

You need the side wall compliance when turning, which an RFT doesn't give you because of the amount of steel reinforcement in there. Tires must enjoy some level of tire roll capabilities; there are tires with soft side walls which provide comfort over performance and tires with a hard side wall which make the ride bumpy but grip well under cornering.

I drove Saifi's 135i that's equipped with RFTs. I could immediately point out to him that they are the car's downfall...BTW, there's a new RFT technology that's already under final field testing stages, it eliminates the need for steel side walls while retaining the desired handling/comfort characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                    BTW, there's a new RFT technology that's already under final field testing stages, it eliminates the need for steel side walls while retaining the desired handling/comfort characteristics.
                    Sounds interesting Ayham, need more info on that bro as to how long will that take to be produced, etc..

Comment

First of all no M car came with RFT from the factory... That is why you get the M Mobility kit or a spare wheel (which I have on my M5). I don't think RFT are suppose to use the flat tyre foam to seal the hole, if you had a puncture.

If your car is an M and has RFT, then it was either installed afterwards by the dealer, or by the previous owner (if it was bought second hand). I've noticed this on my previous car (E46 330i) which I bought brand new from the dealer (even though I had a spare wheel in the trunk). The car was never designed to run on RFT in the first place, and when I changed to PS2 it was night and day difference in comfort and handling

Newer cars (in general) now are being designed to run on RFTs, so their suspensions are designed to handle the "harder" characteristics of RFT and have a more comfortable ride. Also RFT technology has improved since their first incarnation... but still they aren't as good as regular tyres in terms of handling and performance
                      ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

They are being discontinued....I wish I could add more, but we'll have to wait and see ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                          They are being discontinued....I wish I could add more, but we'll have to wait and see ;)
                          You mean RFT??? already!!! :rolleyes:
                          Photographer
                          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
                            If your car is an M and has RFT, then it was either installed afterwards by the dealer, or by the previous owner (if it was bought second hand). I've noticed this on my previous car (E46 330i) which I bought brand new from the dealer (even though I had a spare wheel in the trunk). The car was never designed to run on RFT in the first place, and when I changed to PS2 it was night and day difference in comfort and handling
                            As far as i know, the E39 M5s have come only with RFTs, lets say my car did come with the regular tires atleast there should be space for the spare tire, there's hardly space in the trunk for any spare tire to be equipped. All the space is taken by the huge battery..

Comment

Originally posted by faisal View Post
                              You mean RFT??? already!!! :rolleyes:
                              I guess they'll come up something new to replace the RFTs..

Comment

Working...
                              X