How to know which rims will fit ur car! ****

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to know which rims will fit ur car! ****

Posting on behalf of a friend who asked me this question.
    If they own a car (lets say an E46 M3), how would they know which rims will fit? What is the offset, other figures, etc.
    If someone can elaborate on this topic, it would be good to know :)
    Thanks!
    sigpic
    Audi R8 - White / Blk
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Ayham to the rescue !!
    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

you have to know the:

Rim Diameter: 17", 18", 19", 20"
      Rim Width: 8", 8.5", 9", 9.5", 10"
      Rim Offset: ET20, ET22, ETxx..., ET40
      and then the suitable Tyre Sizes

changing any variable will affect the fitment so tell us what car it is and what rim diameter your friend wants to go for, then we can give you more info..

a good place to check suitable rims for your BMW is www.tirerack.com so this will give you an idea on the recommended rims so you can find something similar in the market :)

BMW history:
      07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Hash, I don't want to go off topic here. But, some details about TireRack.

If I want to buy a set of rims and import them here. How, Who and How much ?
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
          Hash, I don't want to go off topic here. But, some details about TireRack.

If I want to buy a set of rims and import them here. How, Who and How much ?
          just go to their site & select your car make, model, year.. then select the rims you're interested in and you automatically get the price.. i think the shipping to dubai is somewhere near $500 for a set, then you need to pay 5% customs & some clearance charges 100-300 Dhs maybe..

BMW history:

Comment

Alright, youve got PM.

Comment

Most important numbers in rims applications are the bolt pattern (PCD = 5x120 for BMWs) and the offset (ETxx). If the offset is correct, then it implies that rim width is also correct for the given ride height.

E46 M3 OEM 18" offsets:

Front 18" x 8", ET47
              Rear 18" x 9", ET26

E46 M3 OEM 19" offsets:

Front 19" x 8", ET41
              Rear 19" x 9", ET27

Note that when lowering, different offsets may be required.

Comment

the specs that ayham posted ^ are for the stock setup.. if your friend has something different in mind let us know & we'll help you out

rims are the worst thing to get wrong when modifying a BMW :read:

BMW history:

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                  Most important numbers in rims applications are the bolt pattern (PCD = 5x120 for BMWs) and the offset (ETxx). If the offset is correct, then it implies that rim width is also correct for the given ride height.

E46 M3 OEM 18" offsets:

Front 18" x 8", ET47
                  Rear 18" x 9", ET26

E46 M3 OEM 19" offsets:

Front 19" x 8", ET41
                  Rear 19" x 9", ET27

Note that when lowering, different offsets may be required.
                  I see the numbers for stock fitment, so it means that the rim (lets say front) should be not be more than 8" and the offset shouldn't be more than 47 or else it will stick out? correct?

Ayham, lets say its my car. I've got the H&Rs Sport, i'm actually not sure lol, do u remember? u were involved when i purchased mine :)

So what is the fitment now? does everything stay the same except the offset?
                  sigpic
                  Audi R8 - White / Blk
                  Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

The bigger the offset reading (ET45 > ET35), the more the rim is "inward" relative to the fender edge, i.e. the closer it is to your car's center line. Don't look at the width as importantly as you're looking at the offset, unless you're going 10"+ on the width.

With your Sport springs you don't have a problem with stock numbers. but this is a tricky technicality that needs to be evaluated once you've decided on a particular rim and lowering.

Comment

wats the max u can go on the wheel width for the e46 M3 ? 19x8.5/9 in front and 19x9.5/10 in the rear?? also, planning to install H&R springs (sport setup...race might be too hard for dubai roads)
                      Current
                      E92 M3 - Mineral White
                      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                      E36 318is
                      E39 540i ///M sport
                      VW CC
                      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Race vs. Sport spring differ in ride height mostly, minimal difference in spring rates as they're entirely street springs.

8.5" up front, 9.5" rear would be maximum I believe. 10" in the rear will defo need some fender rolling, probably more camber as well. The wider your tire, the less offset it should have, i.e. it'd have to be closer to the car center line.

Comment

I think you can fit easily a 10" rim at the back on an E46 M3... I believe Bruno's BBS rims are 10" at the back... it also depends on the offset and tyre size
                          ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

With lowering, it's most likely they'll need fender rolling. Bruno's car is stock height...

Comment

hmmmm thnx for the info!.....race might be too low tho...will end up scrapping the underside if goin up a ramp or even speed breaker!... think sport should do the trick, optimum ride height.

Not planning to go really wide on the tires...might stick to +10mm on either at max. so that rubbing wont be an issue.
                              Current
                              E92 M3 - Mineral White
                              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                              E36 318is
                              E39 540i ///M sport
                              VW CC
                              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
                              X