Every car needs a REMAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every car needs a REMAP!

As some of you know, my M3 has had 2 ECU remaps done in the past 2 years; the latest being done by PS Tuning. Here are my thoughts and humble opinions on remaping:

The theory behind remaping is to alter the air-fuel ratio, ignition advancing or retarding depending on RPM, throttle position, air temp, etc...The key to a successful tune is how much area is there under the hp/torque-RPM graph, NOT how much the peak numbers are for power and torque. If you're looking for that in a tune, sorry it's the wrong way. Dealing with professional tuners can give you a great luxury; choosing how you want your power curve to look like :D This feature allowed me to shift my power band from low-end-to-high-mid range, which is ideal for daily driving, into mid-range-to-high-end corresponding to the car's racing characteristics. Honestly, driving other E46 M3s feels like an ordinary affair after remapping mine...It feels sad to know that this engine should've come like this from the factory! YOU...NEED...TO...TRY...IT! Period!

After the season was done, I always wanted to verify the other claimed benefit of remapping; i.e. fuel economy. Which I did during the past 2 weeks.

On two full tanks of 98-Octane fuel, and introducing 3-digit highway driving speeds, grid lock jams, city cruising, frequent sprints, frequent engine start ups, I'm glad to report that the car delivered a 505km range between fill ups on both occassions. That's with my enjoy-it driving style. Ofcourse, the car is fully maintained constantly at Falcons Garage and *** and this helps, but to think with all that power, speed, and madness the car could still attain such mileage is, to me, truly remarkable....

Recommendation:

Go for it! Remapping is the best money you will ever invest into your car. It's a shame OEM manufacturers leave TOO MUCH safety margins in their OEM maps, but hey, that's more ways for us to enjoy them cars ;)

Hope this helped...

Nice write up Ayham.

Yeah I agree. IMO manufacturers tend to leave a big gap between the actual and optimum mapping to gain reliability, save $$ in development and testing, and to ease mass production.

'07 650i Stratus Grey/Cream beige

Comment

Thanks for the post Ayham... personally I've thought about it several times but I would like to try ur car just so I can get a feel for the difference, now I know u're running the Borla exhaust system setup which will make a difference as well.

Sounds interesting looking forward to seeing what the car can do on the track!
      sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

nice wrote Ayham
        but as i know for car equiped with VANOS system there will be two ECU if im not wrong, for example if im trying to remap my ride ECU ( i know its nothing power wise) since its 318i N42, they should cancel the VANOS ECU and upgrade the main ECU or something like that....im searching for one article i saw b4........but in the end...is it worth to remap it?

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
        E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

there is only one ECU and the tuner will work on ur Vanos map.
          my first mod is remap in all the M cars that i owned ! i just cant drive an //M without remap :) the car will be much responsive, i realized in the E39 M5, when u remap it , the feeling of power from remap its like ur having the M button always on.

Comment

Good point ayham, I also did a remap on my M3 back in the days :P, I felt that I gained an extra 10% on average consumption and it freed up some hidden HPs…. It used to average on a full tank an easy 290 miles sometimes 250 and other 330… depending how I drove…

Comment

am seriously thinking of it but just not now need first to adapt with my babe for a couple of months coming once I master it and make sure am okay with all round aspects I ll go for the remap for sure:)
              but 505 Km thats a number to look at , Frankly its not about savin money its about saving the number of minutes u have to spend at que in a petrol station to get a refuel!!!
              sigpic
              :///M: More POWER Means More RESPONSIBILTIES .....at the end you ll pay ur freakin traffic fines like everybody so stop smoking whatever u have been smoking:smoke:

Comment

where can I do it :dangerous:????

Comment

good write up Ayham
                  did you measure the difference on a dyno or is it " sensible "
                  if the fuel consumption improved then I think the remap leaned out the mixture
                  , right ??? hmmm I think most performance cars are introduced to the market
                  with a bit rich map for reliability , warranty & the different fuel grades around the world

but those hidden ponies are worth it :iagree:

Comment

We need a little feedback on where can we get the remap done to our cars..

Comment

thanks for the write up

i would like to add that turbo-supercharged cars are much more responsive for remapping

it may lead to additional wear since they increase the turbo pressure however as Ayham said manufacturers r already leaving too much SFs

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinder View Post
                        thanks for the write up

i would like to add that turbo-supercharged cars are much more responsive for remapping

it may lead to additional wear since they increase the turbo pressure however as Ayham said manufacturers r already leaving too much SFs
                        +1 and guys u can do ur cars remap with PS tuning. the guy called bassel, he is already a member here.

Comment

Originally posted by M5drift View Post
                          +1 and guys u can do ur cars remap with PS tuning. the guy called bassel, he is already a member here.
                          there is no member found in bassel name!

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                          E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

His nickname is Jassem99 on our forums... :)
                            sigpic
                            07' HFP Accord | Current
                            HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Originally posted by eoudeh View Post
                              nice wrote Ayham
                              but as i know for car equiped with VANOS system there will be two ECU if im not wrong, for example if im trying to remap my ride ECU ( i know its nothing power wise) since its 318i N42, they should cancel the VANOS ECU and upgrade the main ECU or something like that....im searching for one article i saw b4........but in the end...is it worth to remap it?
                              What I know is that both maps are altered together. And even for a 318i, you can feel a difference at least in fuel consumption..

Originally posted by stoned-head View Post
                              good write up Ayham
                              did you measure the difference on a dyno or is it " sensible "
                              if the fuel consumption improved then I think the remap leaned out the mixture
                              , right ??? hmmm I think most performance cars are introduced to the market
                              with a bit rich map for reliability , warranty & the different fuel grades around the world

but those hidden ponies are worth it :iagree:
                              The car was dynoed with the first map at Subzero using their Mustang Dyno. It yielded 305BHP (that's about 360HP), but it has other mods besides the map. My reason for doing a second remap at PS Tuning (and soon a 3rd one at VIEZU) is because I didn't like some of the driving characteristics with the first one. We just altered the shape of the power curve a bit and improved it, so power figures are the same.

The main reason why it returns such mileage per tank is that I chose the car to be a sleeper below 3,800RPM, which is where it spends most of the day driving. But come 4,000RPM and you're in for a treat, but even there IMO it utilizes every drop of fuel much better.

Comment

Working...
                              X