Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent!! Advice is needed from BMW expert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent!! Advice is needed from BMW expert!

Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts,

I am facing a problem with my car. I have a 2003 330Ci. I had heating problems for a long period of time. Finally we got it fixed but apparently it was too late. The car heats up even though the cooling system is working. It heats up when driving or if kept idle for a long time. Sometimes it cools down again, sometime it doesn't.

The mechanic thought the gas casket needed some work. So after dismantling the engine, he called me to tell me there is a crack in the cylinder. I went down to see it. It looks so small. He told me they pressure tested it and it leaks.

Now he recommends one of two approaches:

1) New "half block." From what i understand it is the upper half of the engine. He said it will cost around 3.5k and will need to change some other stuff too (gas casket, pistons, if I remember correctly).

2) Buying a used engine. He said it will be cheaper to get a new engine. Since not much will need to be changed. He said he have one for 5.5k ready in a car with a rear accident.

Please. Anyone who has been through something similar please advice me. Is the price for the engine reasonable? Should I go for a new one? Any other options I have?

Thanks!!

from ur discription, it is the engine head issue and if im in ur situation i ll go for option 1 if u r sure about ur mechanic work quality coz its not easy work, if its fail...the heat issue will be there with more oil consumption with blue smoke sometimes.

did you check the other working engine milage? is there any mechanical work has been done to it?

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
    E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

No I actually havent. I'll keep that in mind.

But, about the price. DO you think it is reasonable?

Comment

i dont have any idea about the price but the guys here will elaborate some information about the price....

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
        E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Price is fine just take a warranty from his source... He will probably tell u 3-4 days only. Accept it and mice forward

Comment

+1

option one
            sigpic
            • BMS Dual intake system • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e Tial BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg3 map • Fox super SS cutback • MMP 2.5 Turbo inlets & outlets • CF Front Splitter Lip Diffuser

When fast cars become cheap, the wrong type of people buy them
            and the e36 M3 is one of the biggest victims of this phenomenon" - BMW Car Magazine

Comment

I am with option 2, unless you are sure that the guy who will repair it is a professional. from my point of view, get a used clean engine, get a warranty on it and replace it. Keep the old engine for you in case you will need some parts in future (injectors, sensors, etc...)
              sigpic

My signature photo says it all!!!

Comment

Originally posted by amansour View Post
                I am with option 2, unless you are sure that the guy who will repair it is a professional. from my point of view, get a used clean engine, get a warranty on it and replace it. Keep the old engine for you in case you will need some parts in future (injectors, sensors, etc...)
                the cost will be up to 6K coz he will keep the engine with him

but if he will go to first option at least he know all the parts are new

it depends also to the mechanic
                sigpic
                • BMS Dual intake system • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e Tial BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg3 map • Fox super SS cutback • MMP 2.5 Turbo inlets & outlets • CF Front Splitter Lip Diffuser

and the e36 M3 is one of the biggest victims of this phenomenon" - BMW Car Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Xiad32 View Post
                  Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts,

I am facing a problem with my car. I have a 2003 330Ci. I had heating problems for a long period of time. Finally we got it fixed but apparently it was too late. The car heats up even though the cooling system is working. It heats up when driving or if kept idle for a long time. Sometimes it cools down again, sometime it doesn't.

The mechanic thought the gas casket needed some work. So after dismantling the engine, he called me to tell me there is a crack in the cylinder. I went down to see it. It looks so small. He told me they pressure tested it and it leaks.

Now he recommends one of two approaches:

1) New "half block." From what i understand it is the upper half of the engine. He said it will cost around 3.5k and will need to change some other stuff too (gas casket, pistons, if I remember correctly).

2) Buying a used engine. He said it will be cheaper to get a new engine. Since not much will need to be changed. He said he have one for 5.5k ready in a car with a rear accident.

Please. Anyone who has been through something similar please advice me. Is the price for the engine reasonable? Should I go for a new one? Any other options I have?

Thanks!!
                  what is your car's mileage now?
                  sigpic

My signature photo says it all!!!

Comment

If you dont trust your mechanic why dont you see Ayham or Shak ? I'm sure they will give you the best solution and you can trust their work !
                    07 E64 650i Silver

sigpic

Comment

107,000 Km.

Guys, anyone knows the parts I need to change with option one and 2.

And any idea about the prices? just approximate values.

Comment

contact bruno he is your man
                        sigpic

Comment

Xiad,

Option 1 will mean endless visits down the road to rectify loose ends and timing problems. Always change full systems. What may seem to be hassle-free will yield many problems when tampered with or coupled to other units/systems; in your case your lower end mated to a new head.

Option 2 is the safer solution, though a bit more pricey compared to option 1, but you make your money back by not going back and forth to the shop chasing signals and misfires.

As for other parts, be prepared for a new cooling system replacement.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks Ayham.

Any idea how much on average a used engine costs?

Comment

My pleasure.

Around 6K...

Comment

Working...
                              X