Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

e46 Keys (or.. transponders, RFID, coils, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e46 Keys (or.. transponders, RFID, coils, etc)

Hi guys,
    I really miss those times when car keys were just that... car keys! :) (I'm joking, I love technology:)
    The fact is, I have only one key for my E46 and I was wondering if I could be able to find a second one for not too much…
    Process:
    1st – Check on ebay… UAUUU! Keys are under 10 US dollars! Mhhh… sounds strange!
    2nd – Research for a bit, results… ebay sells key cases, without the internal electronics circuits!
    3rd – Research more, results… proper keys are a mess (keys are wirelessly powered using an AM frequency which inducted into the internal key coil powers the internal key RFID IC that send the ISN to the EWS that… waf!!!!)
    4th – Ask to the infinite Knowledge base! :D

Guys, there is a way to have a new key for cheap? Or I need to buy it from the dealer and pay a fortune for it?

I think fortune.. im in the same boat.. 1 key for my M5..
    Current:
    2011 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade "Repsol Edition"..

Past ///M's:
    2002 E39 M5 M/6speed LeMans Blue|Reuters Catback|SS Brake lines|EBC pads|Dinan strut brace|B&G Springs|19" VMR VB3 CSL Style rims|IATS|Lower grill with brake ducts|aFe Stage 2 intakes|Evosport under drive pulleys "audiophile"|ZHP Shifter with Alcantara boot and Alcantara handbrake boot|+++
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe M/6speed Silver
    1991 E34 M5 3.6L M/5speed Red
    1993 E34 M5 3.8L M/5speed Black

Comment

Originally posted by pablopet View Post
      Hi guys,
      I really miss those times when car keys were just that... car keys! :) (I'm joking, I love technology:)
      The fact is, I have only one key for my E46 and I was wondering if I could be able to find a second one for not too much…
      Process:
      1st – Check on ebay… UAUUU! Keys are under 10 US dollars! Mhhh… sounds strange!
      2nd – Research for a bit, results… ebay sells key cases, without the internal electronics circuits!
      3rd – Research more, results… proper keys are a mess (keys are wirelessly powered using an AM frequency which inducted into the internal key coil powers the internal key RFID IC that send the ISN to the EWS that… waf!!!!)
      4th – Ask to the infinite Knowledge base! :D

Guys, there is a way to have a new key for cheap? Or I need to buy it from the dealer and pay a fortune for it?
      Whats the issue with your key? or do just have one key?
      Key's can be repaired,battery can be replaced.

Keys are not wirelessly powerd they are wirelessly charged (internal battery).
      The battery powers the key function and the Imo chip does not require any power at all.
      The battery is a lithium recharge-able,and only last 4-5 years if not used in the correct manner!
      You can order a valet key with just the imo and no remote features,half the price?
      Last edited by Shak; 24-02-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

you can get a new key in sharjah for 600 or 800 aed if my memory serves me right

Comment

Dear Shak "X",
          Everybody can easily see that you are an authority here and I really enjoy reading your posts hoping to be able (in the future) to answer at least one of your always hilarious Q&As, but I think that this time, the newbie is right ;).

Maybe I misunderstood something or maybe I have found a gem during my research:

Principle of Operation
          The starting sequence of the EWS III (3.3) is as follows:

• The key is inserted into the lock cylinder and switched “ON”. The EWS III (3.3) control module is powered through KL R and sends a 125kHz AM signal to the ring antenna. The AM signal induces voltage in the key coil and powers up the transponder.
          • Powered up, the key transponder sends the key identification code to the EWS III (3.3) module. The EWS III (3.3) module verifies the key identification code and checks to see if the key is enabled. If the key is correct and enabled, a password is sent to the transponder over the 125kHz AM signal through the ring antenna.

Again, maybe I misunderstood the concept (and I’ll really appreciate your opinion) but just in case, I have attached the document that I found as my 2cent contribution to our community.

Bruno, 200 US $ is, at least for me :) a fortune for a key! :D, it’s possible to buy a second hand key (from another E46) and reprogram it to work in other E46?

Thanks a lot guys and if there is no other way, I’ll pay the price! ;)
          Attached Files

Comment

If you're lucky, a card reader with the designated software can recode your key chip, but depends on the chip code. I've spent time fiddling with this system, it's interesting the results you can get. All I'd need is the EWS and the original key, and you have a second set.

Your sequence is correct as quoted above. The "ring atenna" is your "Immobilizer", you can have an immobilizer and an EWS on the same car that use two separate keys. They'd meet in there functions at the transponder power up.

It's worth having a copy, 800Dhs is more or less a standard...

Comment

Dear Shak "X",
              Everybody can easily see that you are an authority here and I really enjoy reading your posts hoping to be able (in the future) to answer at least one of your always hilarious Q&As, but I think that this time, the newbie is right ;).

Maybe I misunderstood something or maybe I have found a gem during my research:

Principle of Operation
              The starting sequence of the EWS III (3.3) is as follows:

• The key is inserted into the lock cylinder and switched “ON”. The EWS III (3.3) control module is powered through KL R and sends a 125kHz AM signal to the ring antenna. The AM signal induces voltage in the key coil and powers up the transponder.
              • Powered up, the key transponder sends the key identification code to the EWS III (3.3) module. The EWS III (3.3) module verifies the key identification code and checks to see if the key is enabled. If the key is correct and enabled, a password is sent to the transponder over the 125kHz AM signal through the ring antenna.

Again, maybe I misunderstood the concept (and I’ll really appreciate your opinion) but just in case, I have attached the document that I found as my 2cent contribution to our community.

Bruno, 200 US $ is, at least for me :) a fortune for a key! :D, it’s possible to buy a second hand key (from another E46) and reprogram it to work in other E46?

Thanks a lot guys and if there is no other way, I’ll pay the price! ;)
              Hey Pablo,
              You have misunderstood me! I was taliking about the battrey that operates the R/F Functions of the remote.
              The inductive coil in the lock (ring)produces a sineusoidle frequincy wich then inturn charges the Lithium battery.
              The imo has no battery!it has a capacitor which is induced (charged)by the coil.The imo chip is a sealed unit and its a one shot write only chip (they say).
              The imo chip which has no connection or link to the RF circuit and also use's the reader excitor ring(this applies to none diamond keys).
              The diamond keys have the chip within the circuit (4 pin IC)
              Once the right signal is sent from the key to the EWS1/2/3/4 the reader excitor ring will start to "CHOP" the signal so to charge the BATTERY in the remote!

Hope this explains !

Comment

The question is if someone wants to open a e46 key. Does anyone know to open such a key?

Comment

Open the key don't look as a challenge, the real challenge would be decoding the electronic circuits inside the key in order to be able to "produce" an "improved" version! :D during my high school times I was enjoing doing it, but I'm too old now! :D

Comment

Another question is: when you buy a new key from the Dealer they need to order it or they may have keys in stock? I mean, if the keys are in stock (meaning that they don't need to ask for it to Germany for any specific car) it means that all key are the same and they are programed for your car, if it's like this, I'm sure that they can be re-programed to work in other car.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                      The question is if someone wants to open a e46 key. Does anyone know to open such a key?
                      Opening the key is easy! Replacing the battery is easy! As pablo said copying
                      the Encrypted info would be the hard part!

Comment

Another question is: when you buy a new key from the Dealer they need to order it or they may have keys in stock? I mean, if the keys are in stock (meaning that they don't need to ask for it to Germany for any specific car) it means that all key are the same and they are programed for your car, if it's like this, I'm sure that they can be re-programed to work in other car.
                        Hey Pablo,
                        All bmw keys are ordered with vehicles chassis from the dealership and come ready coded to the vehicles chassis.
                        Then all you have to do is initialise the key to the GM for the door locks.
                        The Mini(BMW) is different,the key when ordered comes with a security code which you have to manualy input with GT1 and then initialise.

But saying all this,there is a tool which can reset the EWS to factory state.

Comment

Working...
                        X