Some random questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some random questions

I was poking around the car today while getting it polished; just wondered...

1. Is there any way to alter the volume on the parking sensor speaker? It's too flipping loud, that beeping!
    2. How does the 'special wash' work for the headlight sprayers? I don't think mine have been working - the owners' manual mentions something about 'they only work if the car thinks the headlamps are dirty' :please:
    3. One of the polishing guys said there was a nut loose on the back of the diff' in the rear axle - is that possible/ relevant/ a problem?
    4. What should the correct tyre pressures be - I don't have the plate inside the drivers' door with the information.. I read 32 PSI front, 34 PSI back from tyre-pressures.com - sounds a bit low for the 315/40 R 20s on the back?
    (all relating to the 2006 X5 4.8iS :D)

Thanks for your help, o sleepless ones

Regarding the tyre pressure, I think thats way low because my dad keeps his rears at 39 Psi and front at 34 Psi and he's running 235/45R17 and thats according to the sticker on the Drivers door
    sigpic
    BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

this what i thought:
      1. i think its factory fixed volume for the parking sensor beeping and cant be controled.
      2. mine in the E60 worked only if the headlight swithed on by pressing the wiper switch.
      3. its better to let Ayham have a look on it to avoid any problem.
      4. did you check the owner manual?

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
      E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Originally posted by BigLion View Post

1. Is there any way to alter the volume on the parking sensor speaker? It's too flipping loud, that beeping!
        2. How does the 'special wash' work for the headlight sprayers? I don't think mine have been working - the owners' manual mentions something about 'they only work if the car thinks the headlamps are dirty' :please:
        3. One of the polishing guys said there was a nut loose on the back of the diff' in the rear axle - is that possible/ relevant/ a problem?
        4. What should the correct tyre pressures be - I don't have the plate inside the drivers' door with the information.. I read 32 PSI front, 34 PSI back from tyre-pressures.com - sounds a bit low for the 315/40 R 20s on the back?

Originally posted by SHkater View Post
        Regarding the tyre pressure, I think thats way low because my dad keeps his rears at 39 Psi and front at 34 Psi and he's running 235/45R17 and thats according to the sticker on the Drivers door
        As far as the parking sensor volume, maby you could control the speaker input with a volume control switch. Just a thought.

About tire pressure. Shkater, dude! 39PSI on the rears ?!?! That's TOO HIGH! 32PSI tops, 34PSI if you're going to load up the car and trunk with a crap load of weight. He's only running 17's. But, on the X5 it's a different story. 38PSI or above is what I recommend because it is a 20 inch rim after all and the tires are very low profile, therefore the higher pressure keeps the tire from deforming under load or bumps and bending the rim. Your manual should say what tire pressure you should run.
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

This tyre pressure thing is very confusing. The manual suggests pretty high air pressure but Ayham suggests otherwise.

The manual for my car says 36F and 40R. But I keep 34 all round. Now am I going to destroy my rims or what.
          sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

I have 21 inch wheels with 295/35/21 all round.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eoudeh View Post
              this what i thought:
              2. mine in the E60 worked only if the headlight swithed on by pressing the wiper switch.

4. did you check the owner manual?
              2 - I think they still don't work with the main wiper action, even with the lights on; it says somethng about 'at appropriate intervals' the headlamps will be washed when the main wipers are used with [stalk position] 5 - have never seen water on them or the lamps or bumper so I am assuming they don't work :( - I will try to spark the sprayer motor with a 12V supply to see what happens

The owners' manual is awesome - I didn't know there is a trick to set the interval of the rear wash-wipe!

4 - Unfortunately I am in catch-22 here cos the OM says 'check the plate inside the drivers' door', but there isn't one!

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
                As far as the parking sensor volume, maby you could control the speaker input with a volume control switch. Just a thought.

Nice idea! If I can find a dedicated wire I could put a potentiometer on it :D

Comment

About tire pressure. Shkater, dude! 39PSI on the rears ?!?! That's TOO HIGH! 32PSI tops, 34PSI if you're going to load up the car and trunk with a crap load of weight. He's only running 17's. But, on the X5 it's a different story. 38PSI or above is what I recommend because it is a 20 inch rim after all and the tires are very low profile, therefore the higher pressure keeps the tire from deforming under load or bumps and bending the rim. Your manual should say what tire pressure you should run.
                  Thats according to the side sticker dude
                  sigpic
                  BMW Sets standards on sports cars, others follow.

Comment

...on the X5 it's a different story. 38PSI or above is what I recommend because it is a 20 inch rim after all and the tires are very low profile, therefore the higher pressure keeps the tire from deforming under load or bumps and bending the rim. Your manual should say what tire pressure you should run.
                    I have tried from 34 to 40 PSI an all corners; with 34 you can feel kind of an inertia - the run feels 'flabby' so I thought this was too low; 40 was definitely too high as the car felt bouncy and the steering was way too light. I guess with low profile tyres the pressure is more critical as it seems to affect the ride sensation much more - I will go with 36F and 38R by comparison of all the other pressures... just wondering if this was way wrong!

Comment

Today I am driving with 36f and 40r and the ride seems pretty fine.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
                        I have 21 inch wheels with 295/35/21 all round.
                        I thought u had 19s
                        07 E64 650i Silver

sigpic

Comment

Cart-wheels! :D
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BigLion View Post

never heard of anyone trying to lower the volume worth having someone shed some light on this

They work when your headlights are on and when you spray water from your wingsheild wiper lever
                              the best way to know is to have it checked because it is simply not safe... bolts and nuts do losen up with time

35 PSI all around

find my answers above.. sorry didnt read what others suggested

Comment

Originally posted by Rady View Post
                              I thought u had 19s
                              I was talking about the cayenne
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X